PDA

View Full Version : polisher for a newbie ?!?!?! also take a look at this polisher

Pages : [1] 2

wantboost
04-11-2017, 03:36 PM
i came across this what do u guys thinks?

I know u guys are experts I only do maybe 1 car a year. My concern is about what pads to buy for the above?
Also which machine would u recommend for me something that's not too expensive

thx

Marc08EX
04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Depends on your purpose. What are you trying to achieve?

Those cheap buffers are only good as wax spreaders. They don't have enough power/torque to do paint correction.

If you are looking to do paint correction, you want at least a PC7424XP or a GG6. If you are really on a budget, lots of people have great luck with the harbor freight polisher.

Trip
04-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Porter Cable would be your best option and pads are endless.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

MarkD51
04-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Tough to beat Griots Garage for an investment. Such as their regular GG 6" Polisher.

Ever buy something, and had hardly ever used it, took good care of it, and a year after the warrantee ran out it broke?

Many manufacturer's have little sympathy-compassion in this regard, they don't seem to believe or care that you used such a machine as these for just 15 minute's total and then it broke.

Might not matter if it's a brand new Flex, or Rupes Polisher, it may then largely depend upon "where" you bought it. (Yes, AG here likely will stand behind you on such a purchase, but others may not)

That's where Griots Garage stands apart, with their lifetime warrantee. And as I've been told by Griots themselves, a bill of sale does NOT need to be provided with a warrantee claim.

Hate to sound like some commercial, but many people here would agree.

(I've no affiliation with Griots Garage.)

Cruzscarwash
04-11-2017, 05:43 PM
markD51 could not be more correct, I would for sure go with Griots, that warranty cannot be beat, I just sent in a broken polisher and it was the easiest no hassle free things ive ever done.

dlc95
04-11-2017, 06:33 PM
I like the Porter Cable.

They're durable, double insulated, relatively easy to source locally (if needed), and made by Black & Decker. They also have a great reputation of durability. The one I normally use is actually a 1st gen model I found on Craigslist for $50.00. Doesn't even have a year stamped on it.

Most of all, the spindle housing is small, which makes it easier to see what I'm doing when I use 3" pads.

The Griots is probably "better" in every way. I'm good with what I have though.

VISITOR
04-11-2017, 06:45 PM

if you ever get a chance to try out the GG6 later down the road, i would recommend giving it a whirl. you probably won't bother using the PC once you do (or maybe you still will, i dunno). it's smoother, a few steps up in power, ergonomic, and more comfortable to use. i have the G100 (rebadged PC7424) and it's collecting dust...

MarkD51
04-11-2017, 07:57 PM
I like the Porter Cable.

They're durable, double insulated, relatively easy to source locally (if needed), and made by Black & Decker. They also have a great reputation of durability. The one I normally use is actually a 1st gen model I found on Craigslist for $50.00. Doesn't even have a year stamped on it.

Most of all, the spindle housing is small, which makes it easier to see what I'm doing when I use 3" pads.

I'm actually in "your camp" with a Porter Cable 7424XP that I bought here at Autogeek with all the many goodies to go with, and am very happy with my purchase 3 or so years later.

But I do have a baby 3" Griots, cute little bugger it is! :-)

PaulMys
04-11-2017, 08:13 PM
I like the Porter Cable.

Another PC vote.

All I ever need to correct my paint on my Ram truck.

(I bought it new, and have babied the paint ever since)

I do understand the need for more powerful polishers for quicker/more aggressive correction, But I'm more than happy with the PC.

dlc95
04-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Another PC vote.

All I ever need to correct my paint on my Ram truck.

(I bought it new, and have babied the paint ever since)

I do understand the need for more powerful polishers for quicker/more aggressive correction, But I'm more than happy with the PC.

It is such a ridiculously simple tool to use, and since the advent of microfiber pads there isn't much it can't do. Meguiar's recommends speed 4 or 5 on the PC to use their microfiber system. A faster running pad isn't going to correct paint any faster with their system.

wantboost
04-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Some was saying the pc is better cause if u put pressure it doesn't stop . More so like a da!?

VISITOR
04-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Some was saying the of is better cause if u put pressure it doesn't stop . More so like a da!?

if you're going to buy a DA, look at the GG6 or PCXP. don't bother with those huge steering wheel buffers, they aren't going to accomplish much of anything. not to mention wasting money and having regret doing so...

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE BONUS! (http://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html)

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html)

wantboost
04-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Sorry I corrected my post .... Someone was saying the pc is better cause it acts like a da and the GG does not...

Eldorado2k
04-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Sorry I corrected my post .... Someone was saying the pc is better cause it acts like a da and the GG does not !?

Huh?

VISITOR
04-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Sorry I corrected my post .... Someone was saying the pc is better cause it acts like a da and the GG does not !?

they are both random orbital polishers and do the same thing. the GG6 is more powerful, has better ergonomics (is evident below in the pics) and is more comfortable to use. not to mention it has a lifetime warranty. here's the junkman using the GG6 for the first time normally coming from using the PCXP..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJUPLCV3P0

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2269_27859469
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2270_163418526