PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Woes

Wolf-Strong
11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Lately, I have had a bit of a dilema when it comes to caring for my microfibers. I live in an apartment complex, and in paticular, the dryers are beyond discusting when it comes to random 'crap' being stuck all throughout it along with the wire mesh filtering. The washer's arent bad, but it is the dryer's that just ruin the microfiber with getting all sorts of crap in them! Will be ordering some Microfiber wash in a few days, so it is just the drying part that worries me!

Any ideas here? Also, how are those blue dryer balls?

EDIT: while typing, I thought of something; What if I put them in a sort of bag that releases water but doesn't lint so that they don't come in contact with anything outside of the bag and put them in it? Any idea on what kind of bag I may be thinking of?

Jimmie
11-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah, you defeat the purpose of the MF if you get stuff stuck in them. I think I'd resort to hanging and air drying until you get a better dryer situation.

Wolf-Strong
11-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Yeah, you defeat the purpose of the MF if you get stuff stuck in them. I think I'd resort to hanging and air drying until you get a better dryer situation.

Sadly, I am thinking that is the only solution as of yet. Just gotta hang some wire up in the garage and hope they can actually dry out fast enough in there.

Z06-Goose
11-27-2007, 01:29 AM
I don't longer put my microfibers in the dryer. It ruins them, and become ESD (Electrical-Static-Discharge)
I now wash them with Micro-Restore Soap (used to use Woolite), and then add a bit of white vinegar during the rinse cyclo
Most of the time I wash them twice, one with soap, and the second time up just plain water the whole washing cycle
I then hang them to dry. I use regular coat hangers, and if the towell is too big, I use the bathroom curtain rod
Let them hang dry; they usually dry pretty fast, and you'll be surprised how good they come out :cheers:

lethalxls1
11-27-2007, 03:09 AM
I noticed the static buildup on my MF towels last time I used one. I will be hanging mine to dry from now on as well. My washer has the option of 2 rinse cycles so I use that. Never use fabric softener-from what I have read it can leave residue on your car.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
I've never put my mf's in the dryer up until last week when I was in a jam.

I was pressed for time, had a detail to do and not enough clean mf's so I had to throw a few in the dryer.. WHAT A STATIC MESS - never again!

Point being, hang dry them bro.

ricka
11-27-2007, 01:56 PM
boy, what if you have like 40-50 mf towels? i too notice the static charge after drying. question is where do you hang them all? i don't have a clothesline.

one hint--if you hold two corners and shake them before folding, it does help diminish the static cling

ScottB
11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
MF's can be line dryed ... place in bathroom while damp. The blue dryer balls are heaven in making towels fluffier !

bambo2888
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
ideadly, mf's should be air-dried all the time. nevertheless, many resort to airfluff or low heat drying, which really doesnt do any harm, but runs the risk of embedding things in the fibers and statically charging the fibers as well.

just hang dry them, you wont regret it.

Z06-Goose
11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
boy, what if you have like 40-50 mf towels? i too notice the static charge after drying. question is where do you hang them all? i don't have a clothesline.

one hint--if you hold two corners and shake them before folding, it does help diminish the static clingWhat you want to do is not get to the point of having to wash 50 MF Towels at the same time if you can help it...
I usually do at least a dozen at a time, and I use anything available in the house, including chairs (back rest), door knobs, etc...you learn to be creative :D

jmillican
11-28-2007, 12:03 AM
[quote=Wolf-Strong;155033]Lately, I have had a bit of a dilema when it comes to caring for my microfibers. I live in an apartment complex, and in paticular, the dryers are beyond discusting when it comes to random 'crap' being stuck all throughout it along with the wire mesh filtering. The washer's arent bad, but it is the dryer's that just ruin the microfiber with getting all sorts of crap in them! Will be ordering some Microfiber wash in a few days, so it is just the drying part that worries me!

Any ideas here? Also, how are those blue dryer balls? quote]

Those blue dryer balls are great. My wife started using them a few years back and there is no thought of going back; however, I don't think they will solve your random 'crap' problem.

Wolf-Strong
11-28-2007, 01:20 AM
With it settled that I will defiantly air dry them, the question that now bewilders me is whether to get Micro Restore or Micro Rejuvinator. What I am really concerned is performance, but what I've gotten so far is that both work equally as well. Searched through pages and pages of threads and never found a good comparison, not even something as simple as one being easier to pour than the other.

Are they seriously that simular? Does one smell different? Thinner liquid for one? Better stain removal? One better for another with hard water (I live in an apartment complex...)?

Fly bye
11-28-2007, 02:52 AM
I dry them in the dryer on low for a set time. That's the only way.

Fly bye
11-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Those blue balls are great.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/html/emoticons/egads.gif

lethalxls1
11-28-2007, 05:08 AM
^hahahahahaahah!!!!