PDA

View Full Version : “Be sure to drink your Ovaltine” by GeekGWCT

Pages : [1] 2

GeekGWCT
04-09-2017, 12:31 PM
“Be sure to drink your Ovaltine” by GeekGWCT (http://tinyurl.com/lkju7a4)

GeekGWCT is hereby appointed a member of the “Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!” secret circle and is entitled to all the honors and benefits occurring thereto. Honors and benefits already at the age of 9!

I was in. I could tell that the forum was really important. Mike would answer the questions of his secret circle.
A question from h8dirtycars on Xpel. Oh wait, Mike didn’t answer. A question from 2wookies on his s550. Oh wait, Mike didn’t answer. A question from suke on cquartz. Oh wait, Mike didn’t answer. A question from CKAutodetail on new vehicle detail/paint protection. Oh wait, Mike didn’t answer. I will ask a question. Oh wait, Mike didn’t answer. Maybe he will answer PorscheFan’s question. No. Robwoodgto question? No.

Oh no, did Black Bart get Mike?

Wait, it does appear that Mike has made some posts. Avoid water spots by Mike Phillips. Jay Leno’s Quick Detailer by Mike Phillips. Scangrip TV Commercial by Mike Phillips. Sonax Fallout Remover by Mike Phillips

I will get my secret decoder ring and look at his posts. Maybe he hid the answers to h8dirtycars, 2wookies, suke, ckAutodetail and robmy pro there…. In all those embedded links to AutoGeek’s product pages. Smart!

I was getting closer now. The tension was terrible. The fate of the planet may hang in the balance. Almost there. My mind was a steel trap. Every pore vibrated. It was almost clear. Yes, yes, yes, yes.
“B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E”

Ovaltine!?! A crummy commercial?!? Son of a #####!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RxU-64P4cw

Photomask
04-09-2017, 02:21 PM
MILK! You're outta there!
TEQUILA! Suit up!
You're on in 5....

Mike Phillips
04-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Not sure what you're up to?

I changed the title of your thread though and removed my name and inserted yours.

:dunno:

Cruzscarwash
04-09-2017, 04:29 PM
What the heck is happening here?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

custmsprty
04-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Some people have way too much time on their hands.

FUNX650
04-09-2017, 05:56 PM
What the heck is happening here?

•IMHO:
-No, that's not the case in this scenario.

-It's where a person thinks that if they
have a temper tantrum, then they'll receive
another one of "those trophies"---the ones
to which they think they are always entitled.

-As such: Mr. Phillips is being accused (not so
subtly) of not being "attentive enough" to
certain individual AGO forum members.

For example:

RE: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/108886-show-car-shine-vs-paint-protection-film.html

Mike Phillips and Paint Protection Film
The primary reason that I posted to this specific forum is that I have two assumptions
1. Mike knows a lot about show car shine and
2. Mike isn't into PPF.

Why do I think Mike isn't into Paint Protective Film...
a. 35,000+ posts and Mike hasn't mentioned PPF once.
Perhaps he isn't into acronyms or he avoids the topic as it is more of an installed product/not often sold by Autogeek or I failed to properly execute a simple search or some other reason... but it appears the PPF is not something in Mike's world. 35k+ posts. Never mentioned it once (unless I failed in my search).
b. Mike's book "The Complete Guide to Show Car Shine" doesn't address Paint Protection Film
I don't own the book (yet) and I have not seen a complete table of contents; however, Autogeek's description of the book does not mention PPF.
Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)
c. No "Competition Ready" PPF love
I understand that this is a reality TV show (that seems to constantly operate under a minimal time frame) and the show may only be about trailer queens that never have to worry about rock chips; however, no PPF found here either.
Episodes & Schedule - Competition Ready (http://competitionreadytv.com/tv-schedule/)

It seems that the guru of “show car shine” always uses wax and that (one of the premiere) manufacturers of PPF (Xpel) advises against the use of wax on their product (unless you know the wax ingredients and you don’t).

So Mike… are my assumptions right? (Ok, not the one about you knowing a lot about show car shine. The one about you not being into PPF)

Edit:
Confirmed. See below Post (#7).

Bob

GeekGWCT
04-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Not sure what you're up to?

I changed the title of your thread though and removed my name and inserted yours.

:dunno:

A few thoughts...
1. Bait and switch. There is nothing wrong with selling Ovaltine. Bait and switch is a little different. Why not label the forum what it actually is instead of label the forum something it isn't? Why not label the forum "Mike Phillips on Autogeek products" so people don't falsely assume that forum exists for the reason it is currently named?
2. Unforced error. Prior to seeing this forum, I never expected to be able to ask Mike Phillips any questions. Why set the bar higher than people expect and then fail to meet it? Be Mercedes not Yugo.
3. A brand is a promise. "Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions" is a broken promise. Shoot the messenger if you like but this is unquestionably a poor branding decision for both you and Autogeek. Whoever convinced you that it would be good for you to associate your name with the non-delivery of a service (even if it is a free service) did you and your personal brand no favors.
Believe it or not... I wish you the best. Enjoy your articles. Hate being misled.

custmsprty
04-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Like I said, some people have way too much time on their hands. And that adequately describes you. Nobody is sticking a gun to your head to be here. :cry::cry::cry::lock::lock::lock:

Eldorado2k
04-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Do you also get butthurt when you're the 4th customer in line and they don't open another checkstand just for you? Lol.

...When you've contributed as much time and knowledge to the world of detailing as Mike Phillips has, the least we can do is have the common courtesy to let the man take a break from the never ending barrage of questions he gets from everyone.

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2017, 08:01 PM
A few thoughts...

To be fair, I understand that you think the questions you've asked have simple answers, and that you aren't getting them because it doesn't serve the financial interests of Autogeek et al.

However, the reality is the answers are not so simple. There are many brands of PPF, and many, many levels of skill among installers. As with clearcoat, PPF can get swirled. Your "show car shine" and "glossmeter" threads put too much emphasis on product, and not enough on process. Traditionally, the "shine" has come from proper preparation of the surface through polishing.

You can put any (last step) product you want on a dull surface, and it's not going to make it shine, and likewise, you can apply any LSP you want on a perfectly prepped surface, and it's not going to make much of an improvement.

You can really put any wax or sealant or coating on top of your PPF. You, in the end, have to be the judge of whether PPF is an appropriate treatment for your vehicle...whether to your eye a small difference in "gloss" between the rest of the vehicle, or the appearance of a line where the PPF ends is something you can live with.

Mike Phillips is not going to put the PPF on your car, he's not going to pick the brand, or the installer, nor do the maintenance on your vehicle which can make the difference as to whether the PPF has a different appearance from the paint. I would suggest you speak to potential PPF installers in your area about your concerns.

GeekGWCT
04-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Do you also get butthurt when you're the 4th customer in line and they don't open another checkstand just for you? Lol.

...When you've contributed as much time and knowledge to the world of detailing as Mike Phillips has, the least we can do is have the common courtesy to let the man take a break from the never ending barrage of questions he gets from everyone.

I think your analogy is a little off. It is more like...
1. There is a line with a sign that reads "Ask The Situation for an Autograph"
2. Although I never previously considered getting an autograph from The Situation, I get in line.
3. While in line, it becomes obvious that people in the line don't get autographs
4. Eldorado2k tells me "When you've contributed as much time and knowledge to the world of ab enhancement as The Situation has, the least we can do is have the common courtesy to let the man take a break from the never ending barrage of autograph requests he gets from everyone".
5.If Eldorado2k wanted to give The Situation a break from the never ending barrage of autograph requests, I wonder if something could be done? Maybe... and I am going out on a limb here... maybe it has something to do with the sign.

Fair point. However, your argument would be stronger if you didn't have over 5,000 more posts than me ;) Pot meet kettle.

•IMHO:
"to which they think they are always entitled."

Getting warmer but I wouldn't say "entitled". To me that implies "owed". There are people that owe me. None of them are on this forum.
As an aside, I think I found my concourse level detailer.

•IMHO:
-As such: Mr. Phillips is being accused (not so subtly) of not being "attentive enough" to certain individual AGO forum members.

Not the way I would put it. I believe Mr. Phillips should be attentive to whatever he wants (or is paid) to be attentive to. However, I don't believe it is in his best interest, Autogeek's best interest or my best interest to represent this forum as something it is not.

GeekGWCT
04-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Fair point on complication of my question on the other thread. However, that thread is just one data point. There are many other unanswered questions submitted by other people.

Eldorado2k
04-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Ok, but you're not going to get anywhere by trying to win this argument.. Would it really make you happy to get your question answered after having gone about it this way?

You're a new guy with 20 or so posts, it's not as if you're a known contributor to this forum [I'm not saying that even matters, because I really couldn't care less about that] All I'm saying is don't you think it would've been better to ask again, in a more polite way? Isn't it always better to make friendly vs. trying to prove a point?

You've made your point. It's your choice if you want to drop it and be chill.

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Fair point on complication of my question on the other thread. However, that thread is just one data point. There are many other unanswered questions submitted by other people.

I guess in a perfect world, there would be a team of ghost-writers to answer every question posted to Mike's sub-forum. But in this real world that we live in, Mike started that sub-forum...I dunno...6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer. Back then he wasn't on a TV show, he didn't teach as many classes, the classes weren't as long, there wasn't an IDA and he wasn't on the board, etc., and he probably had more time to devote to answering forum questions. Maybe the sub-forum should now be "ask the Autogeek expert", but that's not my call.

As Eldo said, you've made your point, now it's your choice if you want to do what you came here for, which is to learn about detailing and product selection, or whether you want to continue to harp on something that's really not germane to accomplishing that.

RMarkJr
04-10-2017, 12:52 AM
This would hold more water if Mike was the end all be all of detailing.

I am sorry to tell you this but he is ONE guy. If the whole detailing industry revolved around one guy we all would be in trouble for many reasons. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site .. each with a different point of view and experience, some more than others.

Getting a collective of information from several is better than from only one.

So if your argument is that you are disappointed because you didnt or others have not gotten an answer from one guy due to the forum title, then you are missing out on a much greater sea of knowledge and missing the obvious point of the forum, regardless of the title.

While also in the process making everyone here aware of that fact.

:)