PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to strike threw the clear coat with a finish pad and finish polish?

fightnews
04-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Is it even possible to strike threw the clear coat with a finish pad and finish polish? I'm still fairly new to detailing and still trying to get my bearings on everything.

Cosmin
04-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Is it even possible to strike threw the clear coat with a finish pad and finish polish? I'm still fairly new to detailing and still trying to get my bearings on everything.

it all depends how thin the paint is , best sign is to inspect the paint and see if was abused before ( residue of compound, heavy holograms from rotary, improper finish on repaint panels, damage trims or with compound of them, vents-grills with residue)
also edges can be thinner than the rest of the panel.
let the paint talk with you :)

RTexasF
04-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Rotary or Dual Action machine?

FUNX650
04-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Uh-huh.

In fact: the horror stories,
of doing so, abound!

Bob

david b
04-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Threw or through?

2011 302
04-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Stay off the edges

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Calendyr
04-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Considering that polishing with a DA using a polishing pad and 205 will remove at most 3 microns, the paint would have to be at failure point already if you can strike through it using a finishing pad and finishing polish that will probably remove at most 1 micron. There is also a danger on edges but again, DAs are very safe especially with the pad and product you are using. So the quick answer is no. Of course anyone trying to do damage can probably find a way, but if you are careful about edges and not leaving the DA at high speed on the same spot for ridiculous amount of time, I don't how you could cause damage with that combination. Before polishing or compounding it's always best to measure paint thickness if you can. As a rule, polishes remove very little paint, so I consider them safe for almost all paint.