PDA

View Full Version : Using HF 6" DA on 2006 Toyota Sienna

Pages : [1] 2

robwoodgto
04-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Today I used my HF 6" DA with orange Hexlogic pads on my 2006 Toyota Sienna. I have definitely neglected this van over the years so it as in pretty bad shape with deep scratches, and too many paint chips on the front hood and bumper to mention. Plus, since I bought my wife the new Acura, and I sold my Tribute, I am stuck driving this paid for vehicle in the mean time so I would like for it to look a little better than it does. Anyway, thanks to my new found hobby and this forum I decided to tackle this as an ongoing project. Last week, I washed and clay barred it. Today, I washed it, then started my HF up with an orange HL pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound and went after it. Slow it was (and i realize now what Mike Phillips means by what "trudge along" means). The machine would bog down when I got around the front cap curves but I finally figured the proper technique to use to reduce the bogging down. I then switched to the blue Hydrotech pads and that helped out a lot and was able to reduce the level of scratches a little easier...that is to my comfort level. I then applied Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax (I used the Ulimate Wax so as not to leave white wax residue in all the paint chip places). I was only able to get the front cap and two front doors before having to stop and take care of other family duties, but will attach the van tomorrow.

Also, in a few places that it seemed like the UC would not provide me the result that I needed unless I continued to work at it, I switched to 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound and that seemed to work a little better for me.

With all that said, if I was to purchase the Porter Cable or Griots 6" DA would I notice a difference in my user experience? I would love to purchase a $400 machine but I do not think I am at the point where I can justify it to my wife who is looking for new floors and a patio pergola.

Thanks,
Ron

dennis hiip
04-08-2017, 06:29 PM
I have a HF, GG, and a long throw DA. IMO, the HF gets the job done. It's just not as smooth and a little louder. Its now used for my 3 inch pads.

PaulMys
04-08-2017, 06:40 PM
I have a PC that I use on my truck I bought brand new, and the paint has always been babied. It works great for my needs.

But, after reading the description of your Toyota's paint, and if you're not going for the FLEX, get the Griots machine.

It's more powerful, and will serve your needs much better.

dlc95
04-08-2017, 07:30 PM
The PC 7424 is my workhorse, but you probably wouldn't consider that an "upgrades!

I have some Rupes machines, and will be reintroducing the Flex 3401, and PE14 back to the stable, hopefully by summer.

TMQ
04-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Harbor freight and Griots 6 are very similar. Just about the same except the color and brand name. Both will bog down about the same. You're
not gaining anything more by getting a griot.

Tom

briarpatch
04-08-2017, 08:06 PM
I have to disagree with TMQ.....I've used both, and the Griots 6" DA is considerably smoother and quieter, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Is it a quantum leap, like if you were going from an HF to a Rupes?....no...is it a step-up....I believer it is. That being said, I know guys that started with an HF, and never moved on from one...and the HF machine got the job done for them and still does.

Fast Eddie
04-08-2017, 09:01 PM
The HF and GG will both get the job done, but the GG is a MUCH better user experience. I have both and like many, use the HF w/ small backing plates for tight areas only now.

conman1395
04-09-2017, 12:09 AM
I have to disagree with TMQ.....I've used both, and the Griots 6" DA is considerably smoother and quieter, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Is it a quantum leap, like if you were going from an HF to a Rupes?....no...is it a step-up....I believer it is. That being said, I know guys that started with an HF, and never moved on from one...and the HF machine got the job done for them and still does.
I'd say it's slightly quieter and a little more than slightly smoother. Honestly, the Porter Cable is the smoothest of the 8mm DA's I've ever tried.

If you take apart the HF and repack it with better grease, the HF runs cooler and quiter.

Honestly though, knowing what I do now I'd have never bought the GG6. If have just kept my HF until I upgraded to the G15 (and not bought 2 other machines in between).

GSKR
04-09-2017, 06:46 AM
Harbor freight and Griots 6 are very similar. Just about the same except the color and brand name. Both will bog down about the same. You're
not gaining anything more by getting a griot.

Tom

I disagree politely. Hf for 48.00 is a great back up machine other than that for everyday use its not the tool for choice.It's cheap extremely loud and just rough and rotation doesn't start till about 4.GG6 doesn't compare 149.00 lifetime warranty smooth and quiet no vibration and very powerful.Hf is good for hobbyist not so for professional use.Gives me a headache on long jobs and it's not tolerable and I'm not a ear plug guy.

GSKR
04-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Never had a GG6 bogged down.more powerful than these 400 dollar machines outhere.it's the son of the 3401.All the rest I personally don't care for.

GSKR
04-09-2017, 07:00 AM
The down side of the GG6 is the delay of packing and shipping if it breaks and 3 weeks go buy till you get a response. So I just rather buy a new one then to deal with that my time is important and I'm sure everyone time is important.I'm not gonna stand 30 deep in a line at the post office FedEx or ups is the worst.Private packer wants 60.00 to ship one machine to pa.

ski2
04-09-2017, 07:03 AM
The GG6 equipped with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads is much more effective than the HF DA-smoother, more power and a lifetime warranty. However, if you don't want to spend the money now to replace your HF you might want to try equipping it with a quality 5" backing plate and some 5.5" THIN pads from Megs or LC.

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 Inch (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thinpro-5-inch.html)

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-foam-discs.html)

If you decide to upgrade your polisher to a GG6 or other, you can equip the HF with a 3" backing plate and 3" pads for polishing tight areas.

Eldorado2k
04-09-2017, 07:25 AM
There's no such thing as 1 of these polishers being noticeably louder than another... Do a decibel test with them and prove it to yourself. HF DA and Griots Boss 21 = the exact same. 87 decibels. [and that's without the grease mod]

I've used them both. The GG6 is not smoother. They're both about the same in regards to vibration... Now that I've replaced my old 3" backing plate with the new Griots 3" HD Backing Plate I'm totally convinced it has way more to do with what plate and pads you're running as opposed to the machine.

There's no such thing as 1 of these regular 8mm polishers being as smooth as a Rupes. If you think 1 runs like crap then they All run like crap. Thats the truth.

MattPersman
04-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Yes at above. If you want foam pads get the LC thin pro they make a huge difference on a HF machine. The meguiars microfiber pads are good if you want to try that system but with foam get a couple thin pro pads to try. They are quite good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSKR
04-09-2017, 08:02 AM
Today I used my HF 6" DA with orange Hexlogic pads on my 2006 Toyota Sienna. I have definitely neglected this van over the years so it as in pretty bad shape with deep scratches, and too many paint chips on the front hood and bumper to mention. Plus, since I bought my wife the new Acura, and I sold my Tribute, I am stuck driving this paid for vehicle in the mean time so I would like for it to look a little better than it does. Anyway, thanks to my new found hobby and this forum I decided to tackle this as an ongoing project. Last week, I washed and clay barred it. Today, I washed it, then started my HF up with an orange HL pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound and went after it. Slow it was (and i realize now what Mike Phillips means by what "trudge along" means). The machine would bog down when I got around the front cap curves but I finally figured the proper technique to use to reduce the bogging down. I then switched to the blue Hydrotech pads and that helped out a lot and was able to reduce the level of scratches a little easier...that is to my comfort level. I then applied Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax (I used the Ulimate Wax so as not to leave white wax residue in all the paint chip places). I was only able to get the front cap and two front doors before having to stop and take care of other family duties, but will attach the van tomorrow.

Also, in a few places that it seemed like the UC would not provide me the result that I needed unless I continued to work at it, I switched to 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound and that seemed to work a little better for me.

With all that said, if I was to purchase the Porter Cable or Griots 6" DA would I notice a difference in my user experience? I would love to purchase a $400 machine but I do not think I am at the point where I can justify it to my wife who is looking for new floors and a patio pergola.

Thanks,
Ron
You don't need a 400.00 machine.In reality the GG6 can tackle any project from a Honda to a six seater airplane.If you plan on using a machine for different purposes like damp sanding or heavy defect removal then you would use a rotary for the initial cut.Then use the da to finish to perfection. The 3401 is also a great machine out of all of them,but your just doing your own vehicle for improvement.you need better pads for rotation. And some good quality polishes .Uc is good but kinda weak.3m compound may marr your finish meaning micro scratch or hazing.When you blanket your vehicle with wax you don't see any and looks good .The downside of your process depending on the color after 1 or 2 washes the marring is gonna be present because wax degrades quickly.Try thin pro pads and some great products from sonax better product equals less labor and fantastic finish.Never use a wax ,the only wax that provides proven protection is collinite brands.A good quality paint sealant would be better if you can't get the collinite.