PDA

View Full Version : BMW E30 Correction

986DTM
04-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Going to be a doing a white e30 convertible (1990, I believe) for a friend soon. Paint is in decent shape for the age. Moderate swirling. No severe oxidation or contamination or anything like that. Just wondering if there is anything different I should be doing, with the paint being single stage (I presume)? Can with experience anyone comment on how hard or soft I should expect it to be?

I'll just be doing a one step correction so the plan is to wash, decon with clay mitt, and polish with menzerna 3 in 1 using either an orange or white pad depending on how the paint reacts.

conman1395
04-09-2017, 12:16 AM
It's very likely not single stage if it's from 1990. I don't know when BMW switched entirely to clear coats, but I'm guessing before 1990. Other than that, you should really check for any clear coat failure. Peeling isn't the only sign if clear coat failure. Search the forum for 'crows feet'. That's another sign of clear coat failure.

It can be hard to detect this in white paint, but all you need is multiple light sources of varying 'whiteness' and looking at it from many angles.

986DTM
04-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Good idea to check for clear coat failure. I didn't see anything when I had a quick look at it but then again its white and I didn't really look that closely.

Can anyone confirm whether or not its single stage? I think I read somewhere that non metallic e30s are single stage and metallic colors have clearcoat.

Paul A.
04-09-2017, 11:37 AM
A good way to determine it yourself is to use a pad or cloth that is NOT white and gently rub an inconspicuous area with a medium polish or light compound. If you get white paint on your non white pad/cloth it's most likely single stage paint pigment.