PDA

View Full Version : My 17 hour work lost into the sun using Rupes systemblue

TMQ
04-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Just a couple of hours ago my worst fears were confirmed. Finally had a bright beautiful sunny day and lo behold---swirls the size of my 6 inch pads!

Four days ago I spent 17 hours over 2 days compounding and polishing my 2014 Lexus GS 350.

Mind you---the car looks awesome. Clarity and gloss out of this world. Even the swirls are hard to see. But had this nagging suspicion it wasn't right. Couldn't put a finger on why.
Weather was so and so all week until the sun came out today. During the week---I checked the car out a couple of times at nights with lights out in the garage. With a pen light, I was able to find few swirls here and there. I was worried until today.

Upon reflection---I made every mistake possible in every step of the way! That's worst than a hack detailer!

Compounded and polished using Rupes 15 mark II.
Had on hand complete Rupes system.

I did a test spot. Started with the green pad and Quarz medium (green bottle). no change
Went aggressive---blue pad with zephir course compound (blue bottle)---much better. But wasn't too happy but thought was par for course (my first mistake)

Then did the Diamond ultra fine (white bottle) Improvement still. But nothing like all the pictures I see on the forum of before and afters. Wasn't blown away by the results. Thought was best the Rupes can do. (Second mistake)

Went to town---started compounding. (3rd mistake) Shulda stopped and find out why I wasn't happy.

During the 17 hour ordeal---the car/paint kept fighting me and knew paint should get better, nicer, and change for the better.
During compounding---Way, way too much dust!!! worst than woodworking! Tons of crap pulled of pads with brush. I thought this isn't right. I didn't Stop. (4th mistake).

Started polishing step---same deal, wasn't finishing down right. Hard to wipe off product. Shulda stop. (5th mistake)

Sealed with P808. All's good, so I thought. But a little voice in my head said---It isn't right.

In next four days waiting for the sun to come out I, cracked open Mike Phillips' "The RUPES Bigfoot Paint Polishing System." book and read. (opps and oh...oh...)

And read pages and pages in the forum section re Rupes systems. (Opps---more oh...oh...aw shxt!)

And found the "chart" of how and when use the system posted by Todd. (Aw s@#T! and #%@&)
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/96188-rupes-pad-compound-recommendation-charts.html

Conclusion:
1. Should have checked how Rupes system works.
2. Should have listen to my gut.
3. Two things stood out, Very dusty and hard to wipe off.
4. The car, based on my 17 hour experience and the warning/advise via the Rupes chart by Todd, My car was showing
behavior of a Soft and Sticky paint!!! The Blue pad/Zephir and the white pad/Diamond UltraFine were the worst thing to use!!! No wonder it fought me the whole way!

The car does look great and swirls are hard to see unless one really looks at it just right.
But I know major swirls are there.

Lesson?
Read, Check and Ask!

Dang the humiliation! Grin...

Tom

atgonzales
04-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Tom

If you can, please post some pics, I know how you feel, 2 years ago I did my wife's minivan with a polish and then I used Blackfire Crystal Coat with a LOT problems...

TMQ
04-08-2017, 02:03 PM
You'll find a couple pics here...
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/108935-jeepers-long-day-aint-even-done-yet.html

Still having problems with the MAC and now tapatalk. Tapatalk won't let me in my own account!
Once I get those sorted out, should be able to post more pictures!

Tom

TMQ
04-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Also been running the 15 at 5-6 speed. Another mistake! Should be slower.

And just to let you folks know...

I LOVE my Rupes 15! A beautiful machine! And it powers through w/o stalling!

Tom

Eldorado2k
04-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Also been running the 15 at 5-6 speed. Another mistake! Should be slower.

And just to let you folks know...

I LOVE my Rupes 15! A beautiful machine! And it powers through w/o stalling!

Tom

Speed 6 on Rupes MKll w/Blue pad? You're an animal! Lol.

dlc95
04-08-2017, 02:20 PM
I'll wage the Yellow/Keramik would have netted you the results you were after.

That book by Mike is a must have of you use the Rupes Syetem.

TMQ
04-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Eldo....Grrrrrrr, grunt, snort!

dlc95---Yes! Actually I learned a lot from your posts over at Rupes section on the forum AFTER I make a hack out of myself! Grin.
This is what I've should have done.
Start with the gray foam/UHS and finished off with Yellow/Keramik and would've been home free.

Oh...There is one thing that I don't understand---all of my white pads had specks of black in it after use. After cleaning them, they all are dark gray now.
What is that? Did dealer put something in the wax or coating that hides the blemishes in paint? Didn't have that much in first step (blue pads) just only in last step with the white pads.
I don't know what that was about. Didn't burn through the clear anywhere.

Tom

TMQ
04-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Very hard to see. 3 parts of swirls is to the down left side of the sun.

Its like all way around sun...

mbkite
04-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Black marks in white pad posably the clear coat has some color in it from factory

TMQ
04-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Did some checking around. Since 2009 Lexus were trying create self healing paint. This means super soft!

Got this during web search...This was found over chemical guys forum. Mods---Remove link if this inappropriate.

Lexus Self Restoring Clear Coat (http://chemicalguysforum.com/showthread.php?2069-Lexus-Self-Restoring-Clear-Coat)

Tom

dlc95
04-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Eldo....Grrrrrrr, grunt, snort!

dlc95---Yes! Actually I learned a lot from your posts over at Rupes section on the forum AFTER I make a hack out of myself! Grin.
This is what I've should have done.
Start with the gray foam/UHS and finished off with Yellow/Keramik and would've been home free.

Oh...There is one thing that I don't understand---all of my white pads had specks of black in it after use. After cleaning them, they all are dark gray now.
What is that? Did dealer put something in the wax or coating that hides the blemishes in paint? Didn't have that much in first step (blue pads) just only in last step with the white pads.
I don't know what that was about. Didn't burn through the clear anywhere.

Tom

Ha! Well, I hope it helped a bit!

Black specs are commonly particles of the rubber Anti-Spin shroud.

After about 20 hours of service, the shroud needs to be treated with dielectric grease.

These pieces also wear out over time, and are available as a replacement item.

Of course it could be something else. As far as the pad washing up grey, I've found some water to react with pads differently. My house has well water, and gives my pads a strange hue. My gf has city water at her condo, and my pads look new after washing.

RPM_BR
04-09-2017, 03:05 PM
The grey, green and blue pads, all open cells, wouldn't be my choice on soft paints. But they are a killer on medium to hard paints. As dlc said, maybe the yellow and white would suit you better.
I would try UHS on yellow, and Keramik on white. The yellow is, imho, the most versatile Rupes pad, it can cut if you add a bit of pressure on it. Best regards.