PDA

View Full Version : New Car - What do I need (Help ME)

ccie
07-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I am new to all of this stuff and have no idea what I really need to take care of my new automobile, could someone kindly tell me what I should purchase to maintain great care of my car both inside and out.

I have a new 2006 Red Jewel Tintcoat and Grey cloth interior.

Some of my requirements:

I don’t want a greasy/sticky interior and I want it to shine well and not require significant ongoing time investment outside of a wash, if that is possible. In other words I don’t want to be waxing every other week or so.

I also have kids so if there is a way to offer the interior carpet/seats some protection against stains or spills that would be great.

Also I do not have a PC or any buffer for that matter, and would prefer to not have to get one for a while, unless I have to.

So in a nutshell I don’t mind putting more time in the first time in cleaning, polishing, waxing etc, I just don’t want to do that all the time. If that helps influence the product line any.

I don’t have any products, so please provide a complete list of what you would purchase to maintain this car. Everything from cleaner, wax, polish, cloths, glass cleaner etc.

Without this information, I probably would have purchased products from Walmart versus autogeek.

Thank you,

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Neothin
07-01-2006, 08:25 AM
foam gun
clay
klasse AIO
sealant of your choice
DP interior surface protectant
303 fabric guard

-foam gun will make washing faster and less likely to cause scratches and swirls
-the clay will remove any contaminents on the car's paintjob. use it every 3-4 months.
-AIO is a great paint cleaner product. It lays down a light sealant layer that is perfect for other LSP's to go on top of
-there are BUNCHES of sealants out there to choose from. I say sealant instead of a wax because they provide a far better durability than a carnauba wax. apply 2-3 layers 24 hours apart between layers and that should last you at least a couple of months before you have to reapply.
-while the DP interior product isn't shiney, it does have enough gloss to know that something is on the surface. Smells great and lasts a couple of weeks.
-303 to put blunty just works great. water and other liquids just bead up. all you need is a towel and your good to go.

ScottB
07-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Some of my requirements:

I don’t want a greasy/sticky interior and I want it to shine well and not require significant ongoing time investment outside of a wash, if that is possible. In other words I don’t want to be waxing every other week or so.

two products fit the bill and will work wonders. You can use a slightly damp towel or Megs Quik Interior Detailer to clean the inside dash, doors, and other areas. Then a coat of 303 Protectant will leave a satin look which will not reflect and does not leave a greasy feeling. Most other products that will be glossier will also reflect in high sun and usually use a type of silicone. 303 offers some nice UV protection also.

I also have kids so if there is a way to offer the interior carpet/seats some protection against stains or spills that would be great.

get two cans of Scotchgard (carpet version) and do the entire interior carpets paying special attention to areas where feet sit. As you have kids, you will need to do their area with 2 coats of coverage. If interior is cloth you can use this also. I would not use on leather however.

Also I do not have a PC or any buffer for that matter, and would prefer to not have to get one for a while, unless I have to.

At some point in time you will likely need a buffer, as swirls in the paint will need to be removed. Until then proper washing and drying techniques will be a must. Soft sheepskin mitt, drying with a leaf blower and following up with a Guzzler waffle towel is a must. Wash in same pattern (not circles), and same with drying. Use a very good car wash like Poorboys, Pinnacle and consider two buckets. One for soap, the other for clean water to wash out the mitt after each panel.

So in a nutshell I don’t mind putting more time in the first time in cleaning, polishing, waxing etc, I just don’t want to do that all the time. If that helps influence the product line any.

you are going to want to consider a paint sealant versus a wax, for longer durability (length of protection). Since this is the main choice I would consider the Klasse twins. The second twin (silver can) is much more finicky to remove but these will give you 3-6 months of bulletproof protection. Washing weekly as possible, and consider a good Qd'er spray to use after each wash to keep the car looking glossy. Clearkote Quikshine fits the bill, and works well on wheels to keep them bright also. You can also use on glass to help bead rain.

I don’t have any products, so please provide a complete list of what you would purchase to maintain this car. Everything from cleaner, wax, polish, cloths, glass cleaner etc.

Wash --- Poorboys Suds, Sheepskin Mitt, Guzzler Drying Towel (micro)
Clay --- Pinnacles Ultra Clay Kit (very light )
Polish --- not considering currently, no buffer
Protect --- Klasse Twins, Clearkote Quickshine
Microfibers --- Indigo Blues (polish,wax removal), Ultra Plush (Qd'er)
Interior --- 303 Protectant , Pinnacle Leather (as needed), DP Krystal Vision Glass
Wheels --- Poorboys Spray and Rinse (use once month, follow directions)
Tires --- 303 Protectant for Matte surface, or Poorboys Bright Bold for gloss, or DP Gloss Tire Protectant (glossy shine, gel)
wheel wells -- cheap store bought tire protectant spray
underhood -- Klasse AIO on painted items, 303 protectant on rubber items and lines

Without this information, I probably would have purchased products from Walmart versus autogeek.

just remember , you likely get what you paid for with Wally World. Products bought in bulk and selling for 8-10 are products that likely give you 5-6 dollar shine. With AG consider ordering this weekend and use the couponcode provided to save additional 10% off plus a free gift. (look into the thread under discounts for code)

justin_murphy
07-01-2006, 08:32 AM
This is some nice stuff.
Nice write ups guys.

abrcrombe
07-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Heck yah! That took a lot of time. Good luck with your new car. BTW, what is it? You just described the color...

ccie
07-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I appreciate the input. If I do the Klasse twins I dont need a wax on top of that? Would it help it shine more, or just not really required.

Again I appreciate the input. The auto is a Trailblazer. Thanks for asking.

Thanks again

abrcrombe
07-01-2006, 04:30 PM
If you use the Klasse twins, you do not need a wax. After about 3 coats of SG, it should look really good. If you still want a little more depth, warmth, then you can coat with a wax. It isn't necessary though. Buy the Klasse kit, and you don't need a lot. 2 oz should be enough for your trailblazer.

ccie
07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Ok, so if I get a PC, what polish should I get and in what order should I apply all of the stuff. I also have some water spots that dont appear to want to come off. Is there an easy way to get them off?

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Ok, so if I get a PC, what polish should I get and in what order should I apply all of the stuff. I also have some water spots that dont appear to want to come off. Is there an easy way to get them off?

For the water spots first I would try straight white vinegar on them. If that doesn't work then Poorboy's Pro Polish will get them out. Killr really covered everything in good detail so I will add nothing to his reply, but as for your questions about what polishes when you get the PC, I would go with Poorboy's 1.0 and 2.5. They are great polishes and can be used on multiple surfaces, the prices are great and they can be used in full sun.

As for the order that you apply everything, Neothin just recently shared a paper he did for college that was excellent and went into great detail about the steps and processes. Here is a link to that thread.http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1110

If you still have questions after reading that please feel free to ask. This forum is full of great people eager to help. :) Enjoy your new car and new car smell. The only other thing I would add to your list is a grit guard for your rinse bucket. :) Good luck with your car, you will be addicted very soon. :D

Excessive Detail
07-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Does ag sell those green cobra mf that come with all their kit seperately, i really like those?

ScottB
07-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Does ag sell those green cobra mf that come with all their kit seperately, i really like those?

forest green ones are considered all purpose. http://www.autogeek.net/cobdettowinb.html

Meghan
07-12-2006, 07:23 AM
I would suggest putting some good mats in there to protect the carpets since you have children. WeatherTech makes a new FloorLiner that is great for SUVs and trucks.
Take a look...http://www.autogeek.net/macautac.html
And for the back a cargo liner will be nice to protect your back area!
http://www.autogeek.net/maccarlin.html