PDA

View Full Version : Miguiars wheel cleaner question D140 - D143

fightnews
04-08-2017, 04:21 AM
Will either of these wheel cleaners remove a wax or sealant from your wheels? Anybody know?

Mike Phillips
04-08-2017, 05:16 AM
Will either of these wheel cleaners remove a wax or sealant from your wheels? Anybody know?

When people ask questions like these I like to put the question into what all call extremes, goes like this...

Will using a wheel cleaner add more was or sealant to your wheel?

If no... what's the opposite of the word add?

My guess is yes, at least a little each time you use the wheel cleaner. If for no other reason then via micro-abrasion.

Remember waxes and sealants are sacrificial barrier coatings, they are supposed to wear off or sacrifice themselves so the surface they are on doesn't have to sacrifice itself i.e. were down.

:)

FUNX650
04-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Will either of these wheel cleaners remove
a wax or sealant from your wheels?
IMHO...That'd be like:
"Breaking a butterfly on the wheel" ~Lucian

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2614.PNG

Bob

fightnews
04-08-2017, 07:29 AM
When people ask questions like these I like to put the question into what all call extremes, goes like this...

Will using a wheel cleaner add more was or sealant to your wheel?

If no... what's the opposite of the word add?

My guess is yes, at least a little each time you use the wheel cleaner. If for no other reason then via micro-abrasion.

Remember waxes and sealants are sacrificial barrier coatings, they are supposed to wear off or sacrifice themselves so the surface they are on doesn't have to sacrifice itself i.e. were down.

:)

Thank you mike, I always appreciate you taking time to answer my questions. to be more specific i meant will they strip all or most of the was off in 1 application?

I'm also not clear on whether the non acidic one is supposed to be more sealant friendly then the other one.

fightnews
04-08-2017, 07:30 AM
IMHO...That'd be like:
"Breaking a butterfly on the wheel" ~Lucian

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2614.PNG

Bob

Is that a yes or a no from you Bob? It's to early for me to be playing trivia games lol...

LEDetailing
04-08-2017, 07:52 AM
My suggestion is to use a dedicated, bucket, wash mitt and regular car soap to regularly wash wheels. No worry about removing too much sealant. Wheel Woolies for the barrels.

Have you tried D156 between regular sealant applications to your wheels? Another sacrificial layer added for pennies and a couple minutes. Apply the D156 to the MF rag or applicator, and not the wheel directly.

I would venture a guess that both those cleaners would remove the majority of sealant. I like D143 and I have D140. I can't remember the last time my personal vehicles needed d140. I rarely need D143. I do used D143 on my tires almost every wash.

spazzz
04-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Honestly if there is a reputable coat of sealant on a wheel the D140/D143 wont be necessary. Suds or rinseless washing will work.

I changed the oil in my riding mower Thursday, didn't watch the slow drain and overfilled my container.

I had a 1 x 2 foot puddle on the garage floor. I grabbed D143 (2:1) to clean it with paper towel. I couldn't see where the spill happened Friday.
I don't use those products unless I have the intention of recoating wheels/tires.

FUNX650
04-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Is that a yes or a no from you Bob?
It's to early for me to be playing
trivia games lol...
Conversely...
I don't wish to guess the type of
wheels that you are talking about?

[You may not want to use a highly
alkaline product like D143; (or, for
that matter, an acid such as D140.)]

Bob