PDA

View Full Version : Griots 3" Heavy Duty Orbital Backing Plate Review

Heisenberg
04-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Just wanted to provide some thoughts on Griot's new 3'' backing plate.

Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3-inch-hd-backing-plate.html)

Mike P. has taken more in-depth pictures than I could hope to match in his initial showcase of the backing plate, found here (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/105978-griots-garage-3-boss-hd-oribital-backing-plate.html). You'll notice it is more substantial than most foam backing plates which can be a little bendy; it also has one singular hole in the middle of the BP that allows for better cooling and would line up with the 3'' Boss pads(which are great, btw)

My GG6 is my dedicated 3'' polisher. I don't use it that often as I have a Rupes 15 MKII and G21, along with the Rupes Nano, so there are only a few instances where I want 3'' pads. Usually it's somewhere like a bumper or door pillars, where I could use the Nano, but I cover more ground with the GG6.

Ergonomics are very important to me. I can't use a tool that beats me up. I had a Flex 3401 for about a year before getting rid of it because I was sick of how tiring it was to use. I know plenty of people love their 3401, and it's a hell of a machine, but ultimately not for me. That being said, I've been on a quest to find a nice 3''-4'' polisher, since my GG6 just wasn't comfortable enough to use. I have used a generic 3 inch backing plate, the Lake Country 3'' plate, and the Chemical Guys 3'' backing plate to try and find a nicely balanced one that doesn't vibrate my hands and make me hesitant to reach for that polisher. Unfortunately, none of them made the cut. This has led to me using my Nano for larger panels than I want, or cringing any time I need to use my Griot's. Not ideal.

I heard about the new Griot's BP back around SEMA and said I would try it before purchasing a Rupes Mini, which I had no doubt would be completely comfortable based on my other usage of their products.It took a long time for the backing plate to come out, but it did - and I'm very glad I waited. This BP turns the GG6 into an extremely comfortable 3'' polisher. There is very little vibration, and you can tell that the plate is appropriately balanced and specifically made with this usage in mind. It maintains great rotation and I was running on speeds 3-4 and seeing no negative effects on my pads such as heat build up. I used a variety of pads on it, including Boss pads, Lake Country(flat and Hydrotech) and a couple others and they all performed admirably.

To me, this is a must-buy product for anyone using the GG6 with smaller pads. I no longer want or need to buy a different tool because of how much this improves my existing one, which makes this product a home run.

Angus
04-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Cool! Thanks for the idea Heisenberg.

oneheadlite
04-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Great write up! Thanks for sharing.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-07-2017, 09:59 AM
I have one, too. Definitely lessens the vibration!

Setec Astronomy
04-07-2017, 09:59 AM
That being said, I've been on a quest to find a nice 3''-4'' polisher, since my GG6 just wasn't comfortable enough to use.

Yeah, some day someone is going to come out with a machine to fill that niche, something with a smaller form factor than the GG6/PC/Rupes Mini. I guess the Zentool Mini is smaller than those, but you don't hear too much about that machine.

Marc08EX
04-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Thanks for your review!

WRAPT C5Z06
04-07-2017, 10:04 AM
I guess the Zentool Mini is smaller than those, but you don't hear too much about that machine.
It's not any smaller than a Rupes Mini.

Setec Astronomy
04-07-2017, 10:41 AM
It's not any smaller than a Rupes Mini.

I thought the Rupes Mini was the size of a PC? So the Zentool Mini is that size, too?

VISITOR
04-07-2017, 01:50 PM
nice review/input!

AZ Mike
04-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the review. Great information.

Ceerokz
04-07-2017, 03:05 PM
It's smooth but never go beyond speed 4. I have the LC pads and it hold up pretty good. I'm pretty sure the bp is a better match with the griots pads.

c7stingray
04-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the write up! I have the gg6 converted to a "4 and a "3 machine using LC and B&S backing plates.. Will the griots heavy duty BP make a big difference? Thanks again!