PDA

View Full Version : New vehicle detail/ paint protection question

CKAutoDetail
04-06-2017, 01:12 AM
Hello Mike,
A family member is getting a brand new Toyota RAV4 and it comes with a factory installed "paint sealant".
The salesman informed us that it lasts 6 years.
That sounds like a paint coating to me and I had been planning on protecting the vehicle with McKee's 37 paint, glass, and wheel coating products.
I am thinking at this point just to perform any necessary clay/ polishing work and top with a wax.
Any input on how you would approach this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Mantilgh
04-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Does the dealership have any requirements that they are supposed to follow for the protection plan(if that's what it was) that they sold him.

It may be a different situation but I just did a new Sienna and he had an interior and exterior kit that he is supposed to use to maintain it for his warranty. How they know if it is, or is not used, I'm not sure. I used the product provided for the interior and my stuff for the paint.

If it were mine, I'd probably want to start from scratch and wouldn't put to much faith in their "sealant". Decon, clay, polish, and seal, or coat.

Mantilgh
04-06-2017, 02:48 PM
This is what he had for me. I'm not sure if this dealership sold him a special exterior sealant.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/3a49eae33e89d199ec5a4b6af0125af5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CKAutoDetail
04-06-2017, 03:03 PM
The vehicle is getting delivered straight from the factory in about 2 weeks. Thank you very much for the info, I will try and be there for the pick up to ask more questions.

custmsprty
04-06-2017, 04:36 PM
The vehicle is getting delivered straight from the factory in about 2 weeks. Thank you very much for the info, I will try and be there for the pick up to ask more questions.

I'm pretty sure if you polish the paint with even a mildly aggressive polish you will remove that dealer installed option.

Bill1234
04-06-2017, 04:39 PM
These are really a scam thats often hidden by the dealer. Very few coatings last 6 years. To sell you on this, they sell you the product and you need to get it reapplied which usually people do not have the time for and they made a huge profit for little to no cost. Its like buying a can of wax for 15 dollars and selling it to someone else for hundreds and making bogus claims

WillSports3
04-06-2017, 08:32 PM
It's a waste of time for almost every single dealership protection item, especially their paint and interior protection. Introduce your buddy to the world of coatings and then just polish that odd. Even a finishing polish will scrape that away quicker than you can say "dealership upsale".

AeroCleanse
04-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Don't get the dealer stuff as they do zero prep to make sure the paint is perfect before using it. I know because I used to work at a dealership that did this.

CKAutoDetail
04-07-2017, 01:17 AM
It's a factory applied paint sealant. Not dealer

MattPersman
04-07-2017, 05:43 AM
Nah no one is at the factory putting on sealant or coatings. At least not on a mass production line like a RAV4

It's the persons money they can buy what they want.

The finance person wants to make money too. They get the commissions off of those products. If they are getting it at least negotiate the price down it's a large mark up. I work at a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill1234
04-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Definitely no,the car comes off the line and is checked and goes right to transport. They are not taking the time to put on the coating at the factory

AeroCleanse
04-07-2017, 09:14 AM

No factory applies paint sealant.

Mike Phillips
04-11-2017, 06:05 AM
Hello Mike,

A family member is getting a brand new Toyota RAV4 and it comes with a factory installed "paint sealant".

The salesman informed us that it lasts 6 years.

That sounds like a paint coating to me and I had been planning on protecting the vehicle with McKee's 37 paint, glass, and wheel coating products. I am thinking at this point just to perform any necessary clay/ polishing work and top with a wax.

Any input on how you would approach this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

New cars sales are incredibly competitive. Dealerships have what is called,

Profit Centers

This is where the salespeople sell you add-ons like a paint protection program.

You can do a better job yourself in your garage and save all that money. Most people when sitting in a cubical signing their names on the dotted line to get the brand new car are suckered into these high mark-up add-ons because they are wrapped into the total loan amount so the person doesn't feel any pain.

I would guess that for every time a person like you has started a thread like this to HELP out a friend or relative, at the end of the day the friend or relative doesn't take your advice to avoid the costly add-ons and buys them for peace of mind. And if they're happy... go with it.

If they will take your advice, then help them to do a real detail like you already know how to do. Then turn them on to this forum to learn how to take care of their car themselves.

:)