PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline stain on aluminum engine cover

Jimmy Vegas
04-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys,
Finally got my 88 Magna back on the road and spent today enjoying unseasonably warm weather. Since she just came home from the shop Monday (riding in the rain) I also started cleaning her up a bit. My beloved Flitz is working like magic on the chrome and other polished metal, however, I have a gas stain on the stator cover (clear coated aluminum) that wouldn't budge.

Dammit!
Anyone have any thoughts to share? I haven't tried APC yet, but am not optimistic. Worse case scenario, I may take it for blasting and have it powder coated black. (No decision has been made yet.

As always, thanks in advance.

Jim

For those interested..

GSKR
04-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Aluminum polish brightener should take care of that.

Eric@CherryOnTop
04-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Having it blasted was my first thought too, but if it's clear coated aluminum it would be worth a shot to treat it just like paint. Worst case scenario is it does nothing, but doesn't hurt to try. Maybe some compound on a terry cloth applicator?

Jimmy Vegas
04-05-2017, 09:42 PM
I did hit it with Flitz by hand with no luck. I think the idea of treating the clear coat as paint will be the way to go. I'll probably start with HD Polish, then move to Meguiars Ultimate, etc. Worst case, blasting and polishing then re-applying clear coat, or have it powder coated, which might look good on that bike.

As always, I appreciate the help.

2black1s
04-05-2017, 10:52 PM
I doubt that you'll be able to remove the stain. If that turns out to be the case I'd remove the cover (or mask really well using plastic) and use a paint stripper to remove the coating. That's what is stained. Then you can polish the cover and if desired apply a clear coat.

joleyred
04-16-2019, 07:50 PM
I would strip the clear coat off, which comes off easily and just polish it. It's easy to get to and would be easy to maintain. I stripped some aluminum wheels and they look great.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Jimmy Vegas
04-17-2019, 06:21 PM
I would strip the clear coat off..

That's exactly what I did. Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper to the rescue!

https://i.imgur.com/KR6jtxi.jpg

joleyred
04-17-2019, 06:32 PM
That's exactly what I did. Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper to the rescue!

https://i.imgur.com/KR6jtxi.jpgNice job, looks great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk