PDA

View Full Version : Paint correction questions on my G37

Pages : [1] 2

Andrewm
04-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section.
Have been lurking for a while but finally decided to join as I am planning on doing some paint correction but I'm having a difficult time deciding on products and the right process. I feel like every article I read or video I watch the person may have a different process so I figured my best bet would be to post and hope you guys can help me better. Most of what I will be correcting are clear coat scratches/scuffs and# Swirls. I will also be hitting rock chips with paint from the dealership, none of which are past primer. Although there is 1 scratch that is a bit more serious which I will include a picture of.
So what I currently plan on buying:
Buffer:
Polish:
Wax:
For the rock chips:
I already have various sandpaper, sanding pen, Meguiar's claybar, alcohol.
I am a bit iffy with ordering the chemical guys stuff as there are so many mixed reviews ranging from trash to amazing.

The first picture is of a deep scratch down to primer with a paint chip down to bare metal with rust.

I really appreciate any advice and recommendations. My car is covered in water spots so it's much harder to see the other scratches but I will post more when I get better lighting.

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2017, 09:17 AM
My advice would be not to use the sandpaper or sanding pen (unless it's one of those to remove the rust from your chips/scratches in prep for touchup paint). There are just too many threads that start with "I was trying to sand out some scratches..." Polish your paint, fill in your chips and deep scratches carefully with the touchup paint (usually dealer touchup needs to be thinned down a little for best results, invest in some small brushes or the fuzzy touchup applicators which are actually some sort of eyelash makeup applicator).

Sanding clearcoat paint is not like sanding a piece of wood or your metal deck furniture.

Andrewm
04-05-2017, 09:31 AM
My advice would be not to use the sandpaper or sanding pen (unless it's one of those to remove the rust from your chips/scratches in prep for touchup paint). There are just too many threads that start with "I was trying to sand out some scratches..." Polish your paint, fill in your chips and deep scratches carefully with the touchup paint (usually dealer touchup needs to be thinned down a little for best results, invest in some small brushes or the fuzzy touchup applicators which are actually some sort of eyelash makeup applicator).

Sanding clearcoat paint is not like sanding a piece of wood or your metal deck furniture.

Yea I was planning on using the pen to sand the rust out of the little chip, I have no experience sanding a cars paint so really I was trying to stay as far away from that as possible. Although, I do have some experience with a DA and really look forward to working with the PC 7424.

So would you recommend this :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LVU15WO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491402259&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Touch+up+brushes
And forget about the little touch up pen? Or can that be useful for the rock chips?

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Those touchup pens tend to have a large tip, and they tend to dry out if you use them more than once. Yes, those micro-applicators is what I was talking about. It's usually good to have several tools in the arsenal for touchup, I hate doing it, it never comes out the way you want it to. The good thing is a wipe with a little lacquer thinner and you can do it over.

PS You're likely to get in trouble if you keep posting those external links.

Andrewm
04-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Those touchup pens tend to have a large tip, and they tend to dry out if you use them more than once. Yes, those micro-applicators is what I was talking about. It's usually good to have several tools in the arsenal for touchup, I hate doing it, it never comes out the way you want it to. The good thing is a wipe with a little lacquer thinner and you can do it over.

PS You're likely to get in trouble if you keep posting those external links.

Got it, no more external links. Hopefully I can get it as good as possible so that I'm the only one that can notice it. As far as the rusted chip goes, what would be a good primer that I can use after sanding th e rust out? Should I be looking at a liquid primer or a spray primer?

I think Ill give the CG v-line a shot. Going with the 4oz sampler pack rather than 16oz.

custmsprty
04-05-2017, 12:17 PM
You will regret buying those polsihes and products.

Their are many superior polishes and products available.

Everyone of those polishes and waxes you mentioned I purchased and threw out.

Take a look at 3d/hd and AG has kits with these too:

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

This is a great kit and gets you started off right.

http://www.autogeek.net/pc-3d-hd-flawless-kit.html

Andrewm
04-05-2017, 12:32 PM
You will regret buying those polsihes and products.

Their are many superior polishes and products available.

Everyone of those polishes and waxes you mentioned I purchased and threw out.

Take a look at 3d/hd and AG has kits with these too:

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

This is a great kit and gets you started off right.

Porter Cable 7424XP & 3D HD Flawless Finish Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc-3d-hd-flawless-kit.html)

Hmm that is a very nice kit and it'll save me a few dollars not having to buy the products separately. Would I need a lubricant for the pads or do i apply it dry? Also would the HD cut be too aggressive for Swirls? If that'll work I think I'll definitely start off with that kit.

lane5515
04-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Hmm that is a very nice kit and it'll save me a few dollars not having to buy the products separately. Would I need a lubricant for the pads or do i apply it dry? Also would the HD cut be too aggressive for Swirls? If that'll work I think I'll definitely start off with that kit.

You will save yourself a lot of money in the long run by not purchasing the CG kit. Check out the kits on AG - you will get much higher quality products. custmsprty has linked some great examples.

Andrewm
04-05-2017, 12:52 PM
You will save yourself a lot of money in the long run by not purchasing the CG kit. Check out the kits on AG - you will get much higher quality products. custmsprty has linked some great examples.

I was literally just checking out the 7424 kits and I must say I can't believe I would have even considered buying the kit on Amazon, there is some kits on here with quality products for about the same price as the Amazon 7424 kit while it comes without any products.

custmsprty
04-05-2017, 01:33 PM

There are short vidoes availble on each 3d/hd polish product on ag

PS I detailed that BMW :buffing:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/91677-2015-bmw-435i-meets-hd-speed-hd-poxy.html

IMHO these are the very user newbie friendly products. I love the entire hd line of products and have most of them.

To answer your question, this is a journey of learning. Their are way to many variables to give a yes or no answer.

The most important thing is to always do a test spot and start with the least aggressive approach.

This is an excellent example of that approach. Read my opening post on this show and shine PS Adapt is discontiued, HD Cut + replaced it.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/98953-2014-nissan-370-z-griots-g21-hd-adapt-7-hd-poxy.html

Stick with one line of products and learn to use them well and learn how they work with different pad combos. Their are hundreds of posts on this forum if you search hd product etc.

Mike Phillips has gazillions of posts on here with amazing instructions if you search under his name.

Andrewm
04-05-2017, 05:41 PM
There are short vidoes availble on each 3d/hd polish product on ag

PS I detailed that BMW :buffing:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/91677-2015-bmw-435i-meets-hd-speed-hd-poxy.html

IMHO these are the very user newbie friendly products. I love the entire hd line of products and have most of them.

To answer your question, this is a journey of learning. Their are way to many variables to give a yes or no answer.

The most important thing is to always do a test spot and start with the least aggressive approach.

This is an excellent example of that approach. Read my opening post on this show and shine PS Adapt is discontiued, HD Cut + replaced it.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/98953-2014-nissan-370-z-griots-g21-hd-adapt-7-hd-poxy.html

Stick with one line of products and learn to use them well and learn how they work with different pad combos. Their are hundreds of posts on this forum if you search hd product etc.

Mike Phillips has gazillions of posts on here with amazing instructions if you search under his name.

Wow the results on that 350 and BMW are outstanding, job well done. After reading some reviews and seeing the results you've proven with 3d I will definitely be going with the PC/3d kit. along with that I think I will add mckee's polishing pad conditioner, hd speed, touch , and yellow degreaser. Any other items that you think would be beneficial for me to purchase? I want to make sure that I do everything at once, rather than making several orders. Definitely want to take advantage of the 15% going on right now.

custmsprty
04-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Wow the results on that 350 and BMW are outstanding, job well done. After reading some reviews and seeing the results you've proven with 3d I will definitely be going with the PC/3d kit. along with that I think I will add mckee's polishing pad conditioner, hd speed, touch , and yellow degreaser. Any other items that you think would be beneficial for me to purchase? I want to make sure that I do everything at once, rather than making several orders. Definitely want to take advantage of the 15% going on right now.

I have both the orange and yellow degreasers, I'm partial to the orange becasue of the orange based stuff in it w/o getting to technical.

The pink car soap for the price is great and I use it on my vehicles and in a foamer.

Towel Clean for MF towels is awesome.

Gallon of HD Touch.

That's pretty much it, those are the ones I swear by.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-05-2017, 07:48 PM
That 3D kit is nice. Great polishes for a beginner and will yield fantastic results. Those BnS pads are fantastic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrewm
04-06-2017, 11:53 AM
That 3D kit is nice. Great polishes for a beginner and will yield fantastic results. Those BnS pads are fantastic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea that's the kit I am going with + some other detailing essentials and some more 3d products to ensure a job well done. Only problem I'm having now is with microfiber towels, I have a lot of the autozone/pep boys ones that seem like they'll be perfect for leather, plastic,exhaust,wheels, etc. I do need a new drying towel so I was looking at the guzzler, I also need some towels for wiping down polishes/waxes. I was looking at the microfiber kit where I can choose what I'd like which also includes a microfiber wash. Unsure how I should pick these towels though.

dpevans
04-06-2017, 05:26 PM
you can read and review all the comments on products and everyone has their own opinion. What I ended up doing was buying small quantities of different swirl remover products, polishes, sealants, and waxes. I bought various pads and tried products and pads side by side until I found something I liked. I have also found I like different waxes and polishes with different color cars. experiment, have fun.