PDA

View Full Version : Jeepers! Long day...ain't even done yet!

Pages : [1] 2 3

TMQ
04-04-2017, 10:58 PM
I must suck! Grin. Started around 10 this morning and just finished compounding a
Black 2014 Lexus GS around 11 pm.
Cleaned wheels using Sonax wheel cleaner and tuf shine for tires.
Washed, treated with McKee iron remover and clayed the car.
Using the Rupes system--just completed the compounding step.
Tomorrow will polish and then seal with Rupes P808 sealant.

I'm beat and hurting!! Grin.

Have couple questions here---
It took almost entire 16 oz bottle of iron remover and car wasn't that saturated. Is this about right? !6 oz for large car?
I'm almost out of compound. Just about used up all 8 oz bottle of product! Used 3 pea size per section. Is this about right?

Tom

WaxMaster1
04-04-2017, 11:46 PM
I soaked my car (mid size) with an iron remover and barely put a dent in a 16oz bottle (different triggers spray at different rates though). I don't have much experience with 8oz compound or polish bottles but 8oz of compound for a car sounds like too much to me. MAYBE if you were using MANY pads and priming all of them.

AeroCleanse
04-04-2017, 11:52 PM
No one can say how much product you need to get the job done.

ViperGuy21
04-05-2017, 01:51 AM
That does seem like a little much product.

Too much polish/compound can/will gum up your pads reducing the cutting and finishing abilities as you go.

It can also 'hyper-lubricate' the surface, and not cutting as much.

A combination of these factors may be why it took you longer than expected. However if this is your first time(or one of)then don't worry too much about the timeline. If you're not a pro, getting done fast isn't NEARLY as important as is doing a good enough job to satisfy your most picky and informed critic(that's you;))

Eldorado2k
04-05-2017, 02:36 AM
Were you using the blue Rupes pad w/their blue compound? Or green pad w/green compound? What size Rupes pads, 6" or 7"? Did 1 buffing cycle knock out the swirls, or did you have to go over the same area numerous times after wiping the compound off? How many pads did you go through?

TMQ
04-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Eldo..

Blue 6 inch pads w/ blue compound
Took all 8 passes to get all swirls out not 6 as I hoped
Tried green at first didn't even put dent in the paint!
Used up 5 pads. (Should be around 6) I was pushing a couple pads more than I should.

Hood, roof and trunk---swirl free
The doors, fenders and bumpers---so and so, maybe 75-80 % swirl free.

Found myself going too fast and taking out large sections rather sticking to a 16 x 16 after few hours!

Lots and lots of dust! I was surprised how much dust the compound gave off.

Ok, back to the garage for one more go around---hope it'll be little faster!

Tom

Eldorado2k
04-05-2017, 07:13 AM
You're working in the shade right?

....And if you think you had a long day yesterday, just wait till the final stretch when you gotta get down and do the gruntwork and polish those Lexus bare aluminum wheels! At your pace you'll be doin them for 2 whole days! Lol. J/k :)

WAXOFF
04-05-2017, 09:24 AM
I usually spend 2 days on a car. I'm old and I know the hurt factor but love the end result and the peoples face when they see their vehicle.

TMQ
04-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Done...

finished polishing around 1:30. Put in 5 hours polishing. Much faster this time around once I threw that frickin
led light in the trash!

Will try to load up a pic or 2...Still having "issues" with adding pictures to forum.

Tom

oneheadlite
04-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Done...

finished polishing around 1:30. Put in 5 hours polishing. Much faster this time around once I threw that frickin
led light in the trash!

Will try to load up a pic or 2...Still having "issues" with adding pictures to forum.

Tom

I was also struggling with getting pictures loaded - Uploading was a struggle, and I'd post a picture in a thread to find out if you loaded it in a different browser - NO PICTURE! :doh:

Started editing all my pics to be 800 pixels wide, then things started to work for me. You're on a Mac, correct? I'll poke around and see if there's an easy program to do that on that platform.

TMQ
04-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Oneheadlite----thanks.

I was able to download but then it says error...unable to load.

Tom

TMQ
04-05-2017, 05:33 PM
My conclusion---would've been better off with a AIO on the car.

Car looks great before with swirls all over but from 10 feet---perfect.
Got most swirls out but doesn't look that much better. Maybe got 85- 90 % but for the time invested---don't
think the ROI was worth it. An AIO would've been just the ticket.

Tom

Eldorado2k
04-05-2017, 05:36 PM
What's ROI?

custmsprty
04-05-2017, 05:38 PM
What's ROI?

Return on Investment, his investment in this case being his time. :props:

Eldorado2k
04-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Who's car is it?