PDA

View Full Version : Using different branded compounds and polishes

robwoodgto
04-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Is there a downside to using a different branded polish and wax over a certain compound?

For example, if I am trying to remove some deeper scratches and swirls from an '06 Sienna with Ultimate Compound with a PC7424XP and orange medium cutting foam pad and after a few applications still not satisfied with the results, I then move to the Menzerna FG400 or Pinnacle Advanced Compound, or even some other heavier cutting compound, is it absolutely necessary to purchase that particular brands' polish and wax for the finish product?

Thanks,
Ron

brettS4
04-04-2017, 10:27 PM
No problem mixing and matching. I do it all the time. Some products are designed to be used within a brand 'system' for best results. But it's usually not essential. There might be some exceptions regarding sealants, but I don't have much experience there.

robwoodgto
04-04-2017, 10:31 PM
No problem mixing and matching. I do it all the time. Some products are designed to be used within a brand 'system' for best results. But it's usually not essential. There might be some exceptions regarding sealants, but I don't have much experience there.

That's great. I can see this hobby of mine getting very expensive if mixing was a problem.

GSKR
04-05-2017, 06:13 AM
I mix all the time.Its just smarter and less labor.The downside is waste.Just make sure you mix just enough to do the job.Or make sure you label each mixed bottle.