PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove brake fluid from carpet

Ted Y
04-04-2017, 05:18 PM
I just got a message from a mechanic friend who I've done lots of work for. He said there is brake fluid on the carpet of a 1967 Corvette he is working on. I have NOT seen the carpet yet. I don't know the carpet color, amount, etc.

I know that brake fluid is essentially hydraulic oil. What products should I start with? I'm thinking start with an all purpose cleaner and go from there. Has anyone got experience with this?

I have a steamer, hot water extractor and a carpet brush attachment for my Flex at my disposal.

Thank you!

Ted

ScottH
04-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Ted I've gotten oil out of a carpet with McKees 37 carpet pre treatment. I wrote a review on this site and McKees site. Have a look, and a try - this stuff I swear by.

ScottH

Ted Y
04-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Ted I've gotten oil out of a carpet with McKees 37 carpet pre treatment. I wrote a review on this site and McKees site. Have a look, and a try - this stuff I swear by.

ScottH

I actually have some of that. I'm going over to take a look. If forum worthy, I'll attach some photos.

Mike Phillips
04-05-2017, 09:30 AM
hot water extractor

Use the hot water extractor after pre-treating.

Steamers only clean topical stains.

An extractor forces liquid INTO and the extracts everything OUT OF a material.

:)

WAXOFF
04-05-2017, 09:33 AM
The thing that cuts brake fluid is water. Just use water first with an extractor then use a carpet shampooer after that. The only thing you didn't say if it was Silicone Brake fluid that many Vette owners use. That may be a different story.

FUNX650
04-05-2017, 11:35 AM
The brake fluid has probably soaked
down into the padding, sound deadening
material, and the floorboard. (Hope none
has landed on any part of the birdcage.)

IMO:
It'd be best to pull everything from
the floorboard up; clean the carpet
out of the vehicle.

Also:
It's quite difficult to clean the padding
and the other underlying components.
They may need to be replaced.

{Cover all the bases in a mid-year}

Bob

hogie
04-05-2017, 11:41 AM
In my experience hot, soapy water will help with brake fluid.