PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean a White Aluminum Cargo Trailer?

HyperPete
04-04-2017, 12:44 PM
I own a white Haulmark Passport Cargo trailer similar to (but larger than) this:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCRbnZFm5N3j6MlEClfVSh77Kf_nOic v7YBYe5aDn5vm8ATghygQ

It is 2 - 3 years old and has never been washed or waxed. It has grayish streaks from the roof down, and the finish is starting to look a little chalky. Is there something I should use to wash it with before using an all-in-one / cleaner wax to finish it?

Coastalf350
04-04-2017, 09:58 PM
I would use a good degreaser over the entire trailer. Dry it. Tap off metal. Then go at it with 3D HD Speed and an orange cutting pad

ShineDoc
04-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Try using a NanoSkin clay pad before you polish.

dcjredline
04-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Speed should do well on an orange pad. McKees also has an RV line that I used on a white trailer that I cleaned. I couldnt get the black streaks off with anything other than the polish step. I used the McKees one step fyi

KirkH
04-05-2017, 12:27 AM
I detail trailers and also own one like this. McKee's products. They have everything you need.

HyperPete
04-05-2017, 05:09 AM
Thank you, everyone. Can you recommend a good degreaser? I am a complete neophyte!

Thank you!

GSKR
04-05-2017, 06:05 AM
Thank you, everyone. Can you recommend a good degreaser? I am a complete neophyte!

Thank you!I would not use degreaser on those panels.They make a degreaser specially for that and ag deosnt sell it.Its called brownroyal. Optimum degreaser only optimum because its low ph and dilute it really down if you must use a degreaser. using degreaser on those panels is not recommended and could etch the panel.keep it wet and work in small sections.If you have to polish out etching or Presoak damage that material is hard to bring back.Only speaking from experience and worked on several of those.

HyperPete
04-05-2017, 07:08 AM
I would not use degreaser on those panels.They make a degreaser specially for that and ag deosnt sell it.Its called brownroyal. Optimum degreaser only optimum because its low ph and dilute it really down if you must use a degreaser. using degreaser on those panels is not recommended and could etch the panel.keep it wet and work in small sections.If you have to polish out etching or Presoak damage that material is hard to bring back.Only speaking from experience and worked on several of those.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. A degreaser did not make sense to me because there is nothing oily or greasy on the trailer. But, since I am a neophyte, I did not question the advice. I think I'll add some TSP to carwash to wash it. That ought to give me a pretty clean surface with which to proceed.

Eldorado2k
04-05-2017, 07:25 AM
I can't help but wonder if this new wash by Meguiars would work perfect for OP's situation.
Description says it's "super concentrated active formula not only removes dirt and grime, but also bugs, grease, light stains, and light scuff marks as well"

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-car-wash-plus.html