PDA

View Full Version : Experience With Ceramic Coatings

Pages : [1] 2

Onthegeauxauto
04-04-2017, 12:33 AM
What's up guys! I'm hoping to get some imput from y'all on different ceramic coating options. I own a detailing business in Louisiana. We do a ton of Cquartz right now. All we offer is Opti-gloss and Cquartz at the moment. I have been thinking about becoming an installer for ceramic pro because I have a ton of people asking about coatings with scratch resistance. I don't know that my market can support the increase in price though going from Cquartz to ceramic pro. I have been looking around to see if there are any other coatings with good scratch resistance that wouldn't require me to be exclusive to a brand and that would allow me to keep the same price point. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've tried to find some info on Micro Detailer coatings and there isn't a whole lot of reviews. That's the only thing I've seen that advertises 9h hardness and says they have testing to prove it. I'm just not to sure about the brand though.
Right now we offer Cquartz in two or 3 coats. Our 3 coat package is selling at $950 for a truck/suv and $825 for a car. Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Marc08EX
04-04-2017, 12:36 AM
Right now we offer Cquartz in two or 3 coats. Our 3 coat package is selling at $950 for a truck/suv and $825 for a car. Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Does that include polishing or is that price on top of the detail?

Onthegeauxauto
04-04-2017, 01:02 AM
That includes wash, clay, and 4 hours of paint correction. If it needs more than 4 hours we charge $75 per additional hour.

rodneypierce
04-04-2017, 01:19 AM
I just applied CP to my hood. Just did a single coat. Testing its longevity and properties against 22PLE HPC currently. I have heard both good, and bad about CP. So no better way than to test it for one's self!

GSKR
04-04-2017, 06:18 AM
Does that include polishing or is that price on top of the detail?I would go bonkers applying coat after coat after coat.To me 75.00 isn't worth the insanity. I think if you switch from cp to a promising marr resistant coating you will be fixing alot of panels for free.If your doing coating alot of coating jobs stick with what works and charge a little bit more.When you tell a customer or sell a product that supposed to be marr free or scratch resistant you are bringing the heat on to yourself.keep it simple and just make your customers happy.

GSKR
04-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Try the boyds coating pretty good durable stuff that can handle automatic carwashes and the crap deosnt come off.

Onthegeauxauto
04-04-2017, 05:00 PM
That's a good point about advertising a scratch resistant coating. Never thought of it like that. To clairify though, we offer Cquartz in 2 or 3 coats. I haven't installed ceramic pro before. The Cquartz is working really well for us though. On average we are doing three to four vehicles with Cquartz and one to two vehicles in opti-gloss each week. Prices range from $825-$1150 for three coats of Cquartz and $600-$800 for two coats of opti-gloss. That also includes 4 hours of paint correction and coating the wheels and glass.

AeroCleanse
04-04-2017, 06:42 PM
I have used Gtechniq C1 and Modesta+ BC-05. Modesta is by far the best coating, if you can swallow the price of it. I would look at Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light, or if you want to get accredited with Gtechniq you can apply regular Crystal Serum, which has a 7 year guarantee.

Onthegeauxauto
04-04-2017, 07:04 PM
I have used Gtechniq C1 and Modesta+ BC-05. Modesta is by far the best coating, if you can swallow the price of it. I would look at Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light, or if you want to get accredited with Gtechniq you can apply regular Crystal Serum, which has a 7 year guarantee.

How much is the Modesta? How easy are they to work with compared to Cquartz?

I appreciate all the input!

AeroCleanse
04-04-2017, 08:01 PM
How much is the Modesta? How easy are they to work with compared to Cquartz?

I appreciate all the input!

I think they are about $200 for the coating and its very hard to apply.

rodneypierce
04-05-2017, 06:36 AM
I think they are about $200 for the coating and its very hard to apply.
Have you not had personal experience with it? If so, how do you know it is the "best"?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

KS_Detailing
04-05-2017, 07:26 AM
What's up guys! I'm hoping to get some imput from y'all on different ceramic coating options. I own a detailing business in Louisiana. We do a ton of Cquartz right now. All we offer is Opti-gloss and Cquartz at the moment. I have been thinking about becoming an installer for ceramic pro because I have a ton of people asking about coatings with scratch resistance. I don't know that my market can support the increase in price though going from Cquartz to ceramic pro. I have been looking around to see if there are any other coatings with good scratch resistance that wouldn't require me to be exclusive to a brand and that would allow me to keep the same price point. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've tried to find some info on Micro Detailer coatings and there isn't a whole lot of reviews. That's the only thing I've seen that advertises 9h hardness and says they have testing to prove it. I'm just not to sure about the brand though.
Thanks!!!

I do not recommend selling a ceramic coating as "scratch resistance", if anyone says that they are BSing. I am carpro authorized installer, I sell the coatings as easier maintenance, along with the different properties such as resistance to contamination etc. coatings will scratch and if they do and the customer comes back to you they'll ask you why are there scratches in the coating? We stress proper aftercare, if they don't want to maintain it with us then it's kind of out of our control the way the coating is cared for. If you maintain a coating properly, yeah it can stay swirl free. If you don't it will swirl, simple. We also don't sell everyone a coating, you have to be the right candidate. Am I gonna put a coating on a minivan that goes through a car wash once every 3 months, no? I'll sell that person a sealant.

Also 4 hours of paint correction before applying a coating? It takes 20-30+ hrs for us to properly prep paint before applying a coating. Remember it's 90% prep and 10% coating.

And the lighter test that CP does is really unrealistic btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onthegeauxauto
04-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Also 4 hours of paint correction before applying a coating? It takes 20-30+ hrs for us to properly prep paint before applying a coating. Remember it's 90% prep and 10% coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We start with 4 hours of paint correction. That's what is included in our base price. The majority of our customers have new vehicles. I'd say 5 out of 10 have less then 300 miles when we do them. If you spend 20-30 hours I'm sure you get great results. If we can get the same results by getting the right customers then it's more efficient. We spend a lot of time working with dealers. They have someone that wants a new vehicle, they don't wash it or send it to their detail shop at all. They refer them straight to us. Happy customer and a dealership that doesn't have to waste time washing a new car. Win/win for everyone.

AutowerxDetailing
04-05-2017, 10:40 AM
I have been thinking about becoming an installer for ceramic pro because I have a ton of people asking about coatings with scratch resistance.

Ceramic Pro does not offer any significant scratch resistance beyond what CQuartz and other ceramic coatings offer. The entire "9H" story is a complete gimmick. The hardness of the coating has very little to do with actual scratch and mar resistance. You can do the "lighter test" with Meg's D156 Spray Wax or CarPro Reload and get the same results Ceramic Pro shows in their videos. Scratch and mar resistance is primarily a function of the slickness of a surface. This is why polishing a vehicle to the highest standards is the most important factor to provide an enjoyable ownership experience for clients opting for a ceramic coating. Highly polished paint that has been treated with some sort of wax, sealant, or ceramic coating will offer significantly better scratch and mar resistance compared to an un-polished, unprotected vehicle.

AeroCleanse
04-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Have you not had personal experience with it? If so, how do you know it is the "best"?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I do have personal experiance with it. It has the longest durability, scratch resistance and gloss.

I did however just find out Modesta no longer sells to the public and only though authorized installers.