PDA

View Full Version : How aggressive is Mothers clay and Mothers Speed Clay 2.0?

geoguy
04-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Hey Guys,

Based on your experience, how agressive is Mothers traditional clay (yellow) compared to what is available out there? How about their speed clay 2.0 (nanoskin-like palm thingy). I used the traditional clay with car soap/foam and the speed clay with ONR at clay lube dilution and both marred my soft black paint.

FlyinLow
04-04-2017, 01:03 AM
Hi again, Geoguy! I asked that very same question on the auto geek telephone line Saturday, because I need a more aggressive clay than that for some wheels. I was told to consider it "medium".

Unfortunately, the agressive clay in Autogeek's Special Value Clay Combo is on back order, so, by the end of the week, I will be the proud owner of a large tub of Meguiar's Professional Detailing Clay/Aggressive. TG for the sale! (Watch me get some in my mystery box!) Glad I don't live in one of those places that freezes over. It should last a long time. Hope this helps. If I think about it, I'll post my opinion on the comparison between the two.

geoguy
04-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Thanks FlyinLow. Knowing that the Mothers is medium, I should get some fine-grade clay as well.

I am a little surprised that I got marring using very little to no pressure using the speed clay and liberally dousing it with ONR clay lube (its 1:64, correct?) and rinsing the clay pad after every section. I guess my soft paint is REALLY soft.

forrest@mothers
04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
With our original clay bar, we recommend and supply an instant detailer to be used as the lubricant. We find it provides the best lubrication, which can help prevent the marring you experienced. I've had the best luck with a waterless wash and wax, or a spray wax as lubricant with our Clay 2.0.

Have you clayed many times before? I'm curious how much pressure was applied with both the original clay, and Clay 2.0. What vehicle/color?

geoguy
04-04-2017, 11:26 AM
I did get the Showroom Shine with the clay bar, but at that time I had just got my foam gun and was going hog wild with it (I had also watched an AMMO video where Larry was using car shampoo as the clay lube). For both types of clay, I only used very light to no pressure (enough to hold it on the paint on the vertical panels), trying to glide the clay over the surface. Car is a 2008 obsidian black Subaru.

I had done a ton of claying when I worked in the "detail shop" of a dealership in college. It amazing me now what we did back then. The clay we had was originally blue, but was streaked black. Dropped on the floor? no problem, rinse it off! Stored on a dirty/dusty window sill? No problem! Used on a million car? No problem, fold it over to hide the blackest parts to reveal less black parts. Ever replaced in the 4 years I worked there? Uh, no....

Geoguy