PDA

View Full Version : All in one products

Pages : [1] 2

bdlerto51
04-03-2017, 08:36 PM
How come some people do not like using an all in one product like HD SPEED or finishing sealant for paint correction? I mean it is permanently fixing the paint so why not?????

brettS4
04-03-2017, 08:45 PM
It's a compromise product. You lose a small amount of final polish to reduce work time. It's great for production detailing where time is money. I personally don't need to worry about time and I am looking for the best finish I can get.

Also, I have a strong preference for certain waxes and sealants. So using an AIO wouldn't be of much benefit if I'm going to make another pass with an LSP anyway.

Marc08EX
04-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Like Brett said, it's a compromise product. It can do 2 things at once good but can't do either one great.

If you're looking for a quick way to amp up your gloss and reduce the amount of swirls and scratches a little bit then these AIOs will work. But you can't have an AIO completely remove swirls and scratches (unless the paint is soft), give mile deep gloss and reflections and provide the best protection and reflections. You need specialized products if you want to achieve perfect, show quality paint.

Paint correction can mean so many things. Are you looking for 100% paint correction that provides a flawless finish? 80%? 50%? What about the paint hardness? An AIO probably wouldn't do much on cars with hard paint. An AIO is another tool in your toolbox. You use it based on the situation, time constraints and customer expectations.

Like the saying goes - jack of all trades, master of none.

vobro
04-03-2017, 09:15 PM
I don't think it's they don't like it but are more satisfied with polishing and separate lsp. I kind of look at it this way
Winter tires- the clear choice for cold winter driving but wear quickly with less performance in summer
Summer tires- the best choice for performance in warmer climate and useless in winter
All Season tires- passable in winter with less safety than dedicated winter tires, passable in summer but less performance
AIO's will satisfy the majority of people but like mentioned above its a compromise on all accounts

ScottH
04-03-2017, 09:36 PM
AIO's can be an excellent maintain product once your car is in maintenance mode (free of as many scratches and swirls as possible).

ScottH

Legacykid
04-03-2017, 09:39 PM
I like the griots boss cream as an AIO. As mentioned you do sacrifice a little bit, but its polish and done.

dlc95
04-03-2017, 10:25 PM
So many people just want a basic "wax" service. The AIO facilitates this in the most economical and efficient way possible for me.

I like the idea that in those situations I can quickly zip through a reasonably well kept car, or I can use a polishing pad, like the Crimson Hydrotech, or White Flat, and get some pretty good refining of the paint, and be done with it.

Thus far Meguiar's M66 has been a great friend for that. I don't go past a polishing type pad, and prefer the Lake Country Black Finishing pad, but that's what makes the product so versatile.

On our personal daily drivers, I'm probably only going to need Duragloss 101, or 501.

Again, it's all about money. My AIO starts at $125.00, and takes two, sometimes three hours, and the customer is more than satisfied with the results.

Coopers ST
04-03-2017, 10:51 PM
I use hd speed on most customer cars, but Wolfgang 3.0 stuff on mine.

DogRescuer
04-04-2017, 03:39 AM
Side bar/ What is a reasonable expectation for the durability from the wax in say HD Speed?

Mike Phillips
04-04-2017, 05:31 AM
It's a compromise product. You lose a small amount of final polish to reduce work time.

I respectfully disagree. It is what it is and it's a product that will do three steps in one step and it's probably the most popular consumer product category on the market.

It's great for production detailing where time is money.

I agree. And let me add, it's the perfect product for daily drivers. It's also the perfect product for detailing cars for other people that just want,

Shiny paint
Clear windows
Black tires
Clean interior

And the above is the majority of the detailing market.

Like Brett said, it's a compromise product.

It can do 2 things at once good but can't do either one great.

I respectively disagree.

Also, a good quality cleaner/wax does three things,

Cleans
Polishes
Seals

It's actually the perfect product for anything large, like planes, rvs and most boats, as long as they are not in too bad of condition.

I did this with a one-step cleaner/wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3045/Wayne_Carini_Rainman_Car_027.jpg

Same car that was in this movie...

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/601/Rainman_Car_011.jpg

AIO's can be an excellent maintain product once your car is in maintenance mode (free of as many scratches and swirls as possible).

ScottH

I agree.

In fact, while I keep a hi-tech ceramic coating on our SL 500 I use a lowly cleaner/wax on my truck.

The key with cleaner/waxes is the same with compounds and polishes and that's to choose cleaner/waxes that use GREAT abrasive technology. Some cleaner/waxes are horrible and micro-mar the paint when you use them.

I devote a entire session to using cleaner/waxes at my big three day class. It's called, Production Detailing.

Match a great cleaner/wax wit a wool pad on a FLEX 3401 and you have combination that will make quick work of boats in category 2 as described in my book, How To Detail Boats with Marine 31. In fact, I show this on the cover and the cover is the most valuable piece of realestate on a book.

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/532/Boat_Cover.jpg

While we used a dedicated compound and a dedicated polish to prep the paint - we used a one-step cleaner/wax to finish this old 2-door Ford and here are the awards it took...

Eric let us know that 1940 Ford Coupe buffed out and detailed by our Competition Ready Team won BEST PAINT! Plus 3 more awards.

Award #1 = Best Paint

Award #2 = Best in class

Award #3 = Best display

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/590/Legends_Cup_007.jpg

A multiple-step process will almost always create better results, been teaching that for year, in fact the first day of my 3-day class is DEDICATED to show car detailing, that is using a multiple step approach.

But never discount the value of a quality one-step cleaner/wax or as some like to call them... an AIO.

Cleaner/Wax or AIO same thing, different name even though there was a guy on this forum one time that tried to make the case they were different. (they're not)

:)

MattPersman
04-04-2017, 05:46 AM
Nice post Mike. As of today 2017 are there a handful you recommend people to try ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
04-04-2017, 06:26 AM
Nice post Mike.

As of today 2017 are there a handful you recommend people to try ? Thanks

Here's four I use on my own truck, but anytime we get in a new cleaner wax, after it passes the black paint test I'll tend to also use/test it out on my truck. My truck is outside 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. So the paint gets dirty and thus a cleaner/wax is the best option for maintenance and minimal time investment.

HD Speed
McKee's Jeweling Wax
McKee's 360
SONAX Paint Cleaner

Note: SONAX Paint Cleaner is NOT a paint cleaner. It's a one-step cleaner/wax. I've suggested to SONAX to change the name as here in America, a paint cleaner is a product used to pre-clean the paint before using a wax.

The product is also on the thin or watery side. So when you use it you need to be careful that you don't splatter it everywhere when turning on your polisher. It's also on the "light cleaning" side, so not for severely neglected vehicles but more of a maintenance product. It works great and that's why I like it but if the formula could be thickened up and then change the name I think it would be a home run product.

Here's a unique car I detailed where I cut the paint using SONAX CutMax, (a true compound), and instead of going to a polish afterwards I went to the SONAX Paint Cleaner - which is a cleaner/wax that uses the same abrasive technology as one of the SONAX dedicated polishes. (I forget which one), f

Here's the link to the full write-up with lots pictures.

Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/97575-before-after-1961-plymouth-fury-barn-find.html)

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/558/1961_Plymouth_Fury_045.jpg

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/558/1961_Plymouth_Fury_086.jpg

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/558/1961_Plymouth_Fury_068.jpg

:)

Paul A.
04-04-2017, 07:37 AM
I will agree with using both HD Speed and now McKee's 360 with most applications. By "most" applications I mean probably 75% of my customers and my wife's car. The majority of my customers want a wash and a wax and that's it. AIO's do the trick for both results and time savings.

My own car is different. Along with a few customers who understand what paint correction and long term LSP is, I still do them and my own ride the old fashioned way...seperate cut, buff and jewel steps, then coating.

I have come to greatly appreciate the value of AIO's and my customers continue to be blown away with how their vehicles turn out.

I can absolutely understand if someone is only working on their own vehicle(s) seeing AIO's as a compromise. I use to think the same way, remembering the analogy of a shampoo/conditioner in the shower. You get the "compromised" feeling of a little bit of each component vs. dedicated products for each step but I've been surprised by the efectiveness of the newer AIO's. I would still suggest some of the better AIO's mentioned above for those people who want to work on their own vehicle but don't realy want to spend all day Sat or Sunday.

Marc08EX
04-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the correction Mike! I love learning new things from you! :)

It's just that my experience with AIO's (I've used Meg's Cleaner Wax, D151, McKee's 360, BF TP&S) is that they don't remove much swirls and defects. That's why I said what I said.

Note: SONAX Paint Cleaner is NOT a paint cleaner. It's a one-step cleaner/wax. I've suggested to SONAX to change the name as here in America, a paint cleaner is a product used to pre-clean the paint before using a wax.

The product is also on the thin or watery side. So when you use it you need to be careful that you don't splatter it everywhere when turning on your polisher. It's also on the "light cleaning" side, so not for severely neglected vehicles but more of a maintenance product. It works great and that's why I like it but if the formula could be thickened up and then change the name I think it would be a home run product.

WOW!! This is some great info! Thanks for clarifying this. I have never used the Sonax Paint Cleaner because I thought it's a non-abrasive Paint cleaner (cleans paint chemically) like the the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html). I thought it's used to prep wax application like it says in the product description.

Cruzscarwash
04-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Nice post Mike. As of today 2017 are there a handful you recommend people to try ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt I have noticed that you see these mentioned quite a bit when it comes to AIO's minus the megs 66 which is a great cleaner wax. since i have all of them on hand I have been running a side by side of them but only to test durability