PDA

View Full Version : How Long Does it Take?!?!

Pages : [1] 2

geoguy
04-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Hey Guys!

Just a quick question for you.

I did a one-step paint correction on my black 2008 Subaru Outback Sport yesterday and it took me about 9 hours. This included a thorough aggressive wash and decontamination (bug squash, foam, rinse, foam/2 bucket wash, Iron remover [McKee's], clay [Mother's clay pad], and wash again). Probably over did it, but I was taking my time and being careful with the soft black paint. I followed up with Optimum's Polish II on a LC CCS white pad using the "cheaper DA" that is similar to the PC. I didn't get to the roof or hood because of time constraints. LSP was DG 601/105. I am a novice and nowhere near the professional stage, but how long does a typical one-step take you guys? I must be getting old, cause my back was killing me afterwards!

Thanks!
Geoguy

Heisenberg
04-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Depends on the condition of the car, what kind of process I have to use for correction, and what kind of finishing product I'm using(wipe on walk away, spray and rinse, traditional wipe off, etc.) but mine take somewhere around 6-8 hours and that usually involves at least a vacuum and wipedown of interior.

It's hard work. Detailers undersell how much we beat our bodies up in a variety of ways. Im fortunate not to have back issues, but my hands are always beat up and I always have a farmer's tan:laughing:

Kamakaz1961
04-03-2017, 12:14 PM
For your 1st time it sounds about right. That being said, what DA were you using? Additionally, I would rather be careful and take my time then just rush through everything. It seems like quality and meticulous detailing is more prevalent. That is ALWAYS a good thing! In time, you will be just as meticulous and detailed in cleaning your ride but at a significantly reduced time. To save your back get a stool with wheels and stretch before you tackle the big jobs. I am an oldie too and if there is one thing that you could learn from ALL of the future posts from the AGO forum.....the stool is the BEST advice and choice I can give you!....LOL

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-03-2017, 12:41 PM
One-Step for 9 hours is way too long.

What that tells me is you were going for the most defect removal possible, And that is always the goal, However with a 1 step product going for the most defect removal is already out the door.

If you work a 2x2 section, wipe off and go back at it again at the same section you are being less time efficient. The point of a 1 step is to remove what you removed in the 1st pass and live with it. Because if you want more defect removal you might as well just do 1 buffing cycle with compound and then go behind it with a all in one polish to clean up the haze.

If it was your first time I certainly understand, But keep this in mind for the next time.

a one step max should take no longer than 4 hours, If im going into the 4 hour or more range, I am going to do a less thorough 2 step, 1 buffing cycle with compound and then follow behind it with a all in one polish to clean up the haze and leave protection.

FlyinLow
04-03-2017, 12:58 PM
I must be getting old, cause my back was killing me afterwards!

Thanks!
Geoguy

First off, Geoguy, you're not getting old, you're becoming seasoned! (Thanks random Navy Senior Chief for that one!)

Now, since I'm always pushing PPE, that goes hand-in-hand with ergonomics. Wearing the right shoes, with proper heel and arch support and cushioning, will decrease muscle strain and aches and pains when you're standing on concrete for hours on end. Knee pads/kneeling pad are great, too. Working in your own garage in flip flops doesn't cut it, as I learned the hard way a long time ago. And for after: you need, or need a friend with, a hot tub! A good margarita helps too. :cool:

Congratulations on your first! Be sure to post some pictures after all of that hard work.. Hope it was a satisfying as it can be.

BudgetPlan1
04-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Eh...just takes some practice. First few cars I did was kinda:
- Friday 6pm to 10pm: wash, iron-x, wash, clay, scrub wheels and tires
- Saturday 7am to 10pm: tape off trim, etc., test spots, 2 step compound & polish 90% of car
- Sunday 7am to 3pm: compound/polish last 10% of car, prep wipe, coating application, tire, trim, exterior glass clean and dress.

After a few weekends like this I started noticing time wasted areas such as "Find whatever I need wherever I put it", swapping backing plates, switching/moving extension cords and lights from one side of garage to other, wandering around staring at clarity/reflection and patting myself on back for being so damn good (actually mediocre), so on and so forth.

As time progresses you'll find out how much time goes into peripheral activities that have nothing to do with product on paint time and start working/anticipating how to eliminate and minimize them.

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2017, 04:56 PM
One-Step for 9 hours is way too long.

a one step max should take no longer than 4 hours, If im going into the 4 hour or more range, I am going to do a less thorough 2 step, 1 buffing cycle with compound and then follow behind it with a all in one polish to clean up the haze and leave protection.

No offense, Joe, but the OP said he's a novice, and you're applying pro or at least experienced critique.

Geoguy, I'd say everything you stated (including the sore back), is normal, especially for working on your own vehicle, that you're presumably doing mostly for your own enjoyment and amusement. I'd work on proficiency in the process before I worried about getting faster. Once you get used to the processes, you'll get faster at it.

AeroCleanse
04-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Hey Guys!

Just a quick question for you.

I did a one-step paint correction on my black 2008 Subaru Outback Sport yesterday and it took me about 9 hours. This included a thorough aggressive wash and decontamination (bug squash, foam, rinse, foam/2 bucket wash, Iron remover [McKee's], clay [Mother's clay pad], and wash again). Probably over did it, but I was taking my time and being careful with the soft black paint. I followed up with Optimum's Polish II on a LC CCS white pad using the "cheaper DA" that is similar to the PC. I didn't get to the roof or hood because of time constraints. LSP was DG 601/105. I am a novice and nowhere near the professional stage, but how long does a typical one-step take you guys? I must be getting old, cause my back was killing me afterwards!

Thanks!
Geoguy

It takes as long as it takes. Some paint is easier to correct than others. You get faster the more you do it, mainly because you stamina increases. If its your own car, take as long as you want. You can't rush perfection.

Whitewater25
04-03-2017, 07:19 PM
But now that you have it where you want it,it should be much easier & less time consuming to keep it that way.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-03-2017, 07:40 PM
No offense, Joe, but the OP said he's a novice, and you're applying pro or at least experienced critique.

Geoguy, I'd say everything you stated (including the sore back), is normal, especially for working on your own vehicle, that you're presumably doing mostly for your own enjoyment and amusement. I'd work on proficiency in the process before I worried about getting faster. Once you get used to the processes, you'll get faster at it.
I was sharing information so he does not make the same mistake.

In my comments i state that it was his first time and i totally understand and keep this in mind for the next time he polishes.

Maybe you missed this part, we all made the same mistakes when we started.

I wish i had the great knowledge and advice that is provided on this forum, i would of saved alot of time and effort.

If he was using a all in one and trying to get the paint perfect (common mistake) he is working harder using a polish then a compound.

If it was your first time I certainly understand, But keep this in mind for the next time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Ok, maybe he can go from 9 hours without the roof and hood the first time, to 4 hours for the whole thing...the SECOND time. :dunno:

I'm trying to encourage a guy who just detailed his car for the first time, I'm not sure how telling him that a pro detailer would do it in 4 hours is helping him.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Ok, maybe he can go from 9 hours without the roof and hood the first time, to 4 hours for the whole thing...the SECOND time. :dunno:

I'm trying to encourage a guy who just detailed his car for the first time, I'm not sure how telling him that a pro detailer would do it in 4 hours is helping him.
Totally misunderstanding my point.

I am not picking on the guy, I am letting him know to next time use a compound cause obviously he was trying to get the most defect removal possible out of the all in one.

If i was to use a all in one polish in 4 hours it would be no where near perfect, only 40-60% improvement.

You can spend 40 mins going around the car with a all in one, I am trying to save him time and effort for future jobs.

I made the exact same mistake when I started polishing. And i wish somebody would have told me the same information.

Again not picking on him at all, I stated that it was his first time and I totally understand and to keep that in mind for the next time so he dont make the same mistake.

Me saying that it shouldnt take no longer then 4 hours doesnt mean to make the car perfect in 4 hours. In means thats the most effort and time he should put in using a polish.

I my self can not make a car perfect in 4 hours. Especially with a all in one thats actually harder.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2017, 08:09 PM
And you're totally misunderstanding my point...the OP doesn't seem to me, anyway, to be asking for advice on compounds or anything else. He just wants to know if this is how long it takes the first time you do a "real" detail. I don't agree with you that "obviously he was trying to get the most defect removal possible"...he didn't say anything like that, he said he "took his time on the soft black paint", he didn't comment at all on his level of defect removal that I read.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you, and bow out, because it's almost like we're reading two different threads.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-03-2017, 08:18 PM
And you're totally misunderstanding my point...the OP doesn't seem to me, anyway, to be asking for advice on compounds or anything else. He just wants to know if this is how long it takes the first time you do a "real" detail. I don't agree with you that "obviously he was trying to get the most defect removal possible"...he didn't say anything like that, he said he "took his time on the soft black paint", he didn't comment at all on his level of defect removal that I read.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you, and bow out, because it's almost like we're reading two different threads.
He asked how long does it take for us to do a one step

I answered and told him no more then 4 hours. You say that thats not a acceptable answer because hes a novice. He asked a question and I answered and gave him tips for the next time.

So I quite frankly dont understand what we are agreeing to disagree.

Not debating not saying Im right, I answered his question and tried to give him some tips for next time.

That is why I do write ups, blogs, and videos to help people.

brettS4
04-03-2017, 08:31 PM
When I first read the responses, I saw things from Setec's viewpoint. But I started to write a summary of how long it would take me and realized I was writing almost the same thing Joe said. On difficult paint, a two-step will often save time so I just cut to the chase.

Geoguy, you'll speed up with any process once you get some experience recognizing the level of correction you're getting and are confident you can keep up the consistency without stopping every 30 seconds to double check. So keep at it, and I'd recommend putting a yoga mat on your garage floor to stand/kneel on.