PDA

View Full Version : Winter use of ONR

killrflake
11-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I've been reading some of the threads on using Optimum No Rinse and I'm wondering how it would work in colder weather. I have a garage to use it in,
although it's not heated, and I also have a couple of those double headed
halogen light stands the give off a lot of heat. I figure I could get the temp
into the mid 40s even if its below freezing outside. Does anyone see a problem as far as doing any damage to my car while trying to clean it with no rinse method?

supercharged
11-26-2007, 03:28 AM
I've been reading some of the threads on using Optimum No Rinse and I'm wondering how it would work in colder weather. I have a garage to use it in,
although it's not heated, and I also have a couple of those double headed
halogen light stands the give off a lot of heat. I figure I could get the temp
into the mid 40s even if its below freezing outside. Does anyone see a problem as far as doing any damage to my car while trying to clean it with no rinse method?
as long as it's not really dirty, shouldn't have a problem. Very dirty finishes will require rinsing first, before washing.

budman3
11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
killrflake- I am in the exact same situation as you. I just recieved ONR and have been using it and like it. In past winters I have used QEW in an unheated garage. If you can, take the car for a drive to get the engine heated up and turn your heat on high and then park it in the garage. Then fill up your two buckets with 2-3 gallons of hot water and add ONR to one or both (depending on how you prefer). The halogen lights will throw off a lot of heat and it'll help. You'll be washing and drying one panel at a time so it'll have to be really cold for the warm water to freeze in that short period of time. The only downside to ONR washing in the cold weather is that it takes longer for the panel to dry or be absorbed by your MF or WW towel. Having an extra WW as a follow up towel may be a good idea to reduce the risk of streaking or spotting. Hope this helps.

killrflake
11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the responce Supercharged, my car rarely gets real dirty. If it's that sloppy outside I'll use my beater, but good advise thanks.
And Budman, I see we face like situations during winter. The only time the car goes out in winter is when it's extremely cold out side. I find everything
frozen solid and not any wet slop on the roads to be thrown up on the car.
But as the temp rises back in the garage it goes. My family and friends think
I'm a bit anal about my car but they're the first ones to comment on how I keep my car looking so new. These are the same people who get out their buckets and bottle of Dawn dish detergent with old rags for the annual spring car wash and ask me why their cars don't come out as well as mine. Along with good products it takes commitment, and they just don't have it.