PDA

View Full Version : detailing in winter

k20z3kid
11-25-2007, 09:50 PM
i suppose this is more of a question for the pros on here. what do you all do when you have detailing clients in the winter time?? do you all just have a really good heating system in your garage?? a few people want me to detail their cars, but its pretty chilly here. im wondering if i should invest in a really nice heater or does anyone have any tips on warming up a cold garage??

Showroom Shine
11-25-2007, 11:43 PM
I need help in this area too! I live in Ohio and it's cold here. The few clients that have heated areas,I will service. Help!

Gary Sword
11-26-2007, 06:17 AM
When I lived in Michigan I had a nice popane heater in my garage. If you like to detail cars and live in a cold climate a heater is a must. You could move to Florida.

justin_murphy
11-26-2007, 07:04 AM
The most efficient type of heater in my opinion is a round, kerosene heater. A gallon of fuel lasts forever and the heat is like none that electricity can give you.

Look to pay about a 100.00 for the heater and 3.00 for a gallon of fuel. WalMart has both.

zaxjax
11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I have a kerosene heater I use that has lasted for 15 years. Keeps the garage nice and toasty and doesn't smell up the place.

killrflake
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a kerosene heater I use that has lasted for 15 years. Keeps the garage nice and toasty and doesn't smell up the place.
I was under the impression kerosene heaters give off an odor. Maybe they've improved them over the years. Guess I'm going to have to pick
up one of those heaters and enjoy a toasty garage. Yea.:D

k20z3kid
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
kerosene/propane heaters make me nervous. especially after all the action flicks ive seen. how safe are they?

Pauly6401
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I used a Propane heater to heat a 2.5 car, non-insulated garage for 3 Ohio winters. When the temps were down in the single digits, the heater could warm the garage up to about 45 degrees. It would blow through a standard BBQ grill tank of propane in 4-8 hours if you had it fully cranked, but that's $25 out of a $100-200 detailing job, I suppose. I used it when I was working on the Chevelle I am restoring, so I don't know if that's warm enough for the various polishes and waxes in detailing. No problems, no leaks, and no odor.

Truls
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I use a regular electric heater (3kw) its a pretty strong one, but its often needed in a garage, it also depends if your garage is insulated or not. heat disaperars quickly in a uninsulated one, and how cold its outside, but i have noe problems heating the garage up pretty good even if it way below freezing....