PDA

View Full Version : Perforated leather steering wheel

AZpolisher15
04-01-2017, 06:51 PM
I have a black perforated leather steering wheel (Toyota). Basically, it's full of little punched holes that are maybe 1-2mm diameter. It's just a styling thing. Can anyone advise-- if I use my Meguiar's Ultimate Leather Balm, will it fill up the holes and remain there like dried wax?

I thought about rubbing it into a short nap microfiber so it essentially disappears before wiping down the wheel. But thought I might see if anyone has had a similar experience. I'd imagine some seats/trim are perforated like this, as well.

Belair
04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
I have the same perforated leather in my Avalon. Definitely rub it into the MF first & don't use too much; you can also use a foam applicator if you have one. I assume you've used a cleaner already. Lately I've been using the Leather Masters kit with a foam cleaner then the protectant but Meg's stuff is good too if used sparingly & gently.

AZpolisher15
04-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Yeah I pre-cleaned with some diluted APC. Foam is a good idea- thanks.

PaulMys
04-01-2017, 08:21 PM
I would imagine that most leather conditioners are on the side of a "watery" consistency, no?

That being said, unless one was very careless with it (i.e. almost pouring it from the bottle onto the steering wheel cover) I would imagine the product that accumulated in the perforated holes would be absorbed by the leather in a pretty short time period.

The Guz
04-01-2017, 08:43 PM
I used it on my perforated seats with no issues. You will be fine as long as you don't spackle it on.

AZpolisher15
04-01-2017, 09:51 PM
I would imagine that most leather conditioners are on the side of a "watery" consistency, no?
The Ultimate Leather Balm is literally more like a wax. It's semi-hard in a round "can" (plastic), just like paste car waxes. Somewhere in between bee's wax and Vaseline in consistency.