PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Charlies Soap (liquid) for washing Microfiber Towels?

mwoywod
04-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Hey guys, I've been using 3D Towel Kleen for washing my microfibers and also dilute it 1:5 to spray on my foam pads/applicator pads that I used for applying AIO and sealants. I've ordered another gallon but currently I'm out. My problem is that I have over 100 towels that I need to wash this weekend, and the only detergent I have is Charlies soap (Liquid detergent). It doesn't have any fragrance, dyes, or any softeners, and it seems to do a fine job cleaning my clothes without leaving residues. I'm really sensitive and have had allergic reactions/hives from washing clothes with other liquid detergents including most of the other free and clear detergents I've tried (except Ecos Free and clear). Charlies Soap seems to do a fine job on my clothing but the main reason I use it rather than Ecos free and clear is because it's extremely concentrated and costs much less per load.

Have any of you used Charlies soap (liquid) in a pinch when you were out of your standard microfiber detergent? I don't expect either detergent to be even close to as good as 3D Towel Kleen at removing waxes/sealants, but I'm currently presoaking my wax/sealant towels with a few ounces of Optimum Power Clean so that should at least help in that regard.

I hope asking about Charlies soap isn't against the rules. I'm certain that any dedicated microfiber detergent would be better in the past few years I've used 5 gallons of micro-restore before switching to 3D Towel Kleen which I just finished my 3rd gallon of and have no plans of switching. 3D Towel Kleen provides a far better value while performing just as good if not better than micro-restore in my experience. Plus I use HD Speed and/or HD Polish+ on 99% of the jobs I do. My hope is that one of you have used Charlies Soap and if so, whether or not you felt like it was effective?

I have an old top loader washing machine btw if that matters.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to make sure to provide as much context as possible. Thanks fellas!

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Have any of you used Charlies soap (liquid) in a pinch when you were out of your standard microfiber detergent?

Not only have I used it in a pinch, I used it for years to wash my microfiber towels. Lately I've been using dedicated MF detergents because the price of Charlie's has gone up over time and I've been able to get the dedicated wash for less on sale.

fightnews
04-02-2017, 07:02 AM
Hey guys, I've been using 3D Towel Kleen for washing my microfibers and also dilute it 1:5 to spray on my foam pads/applicator pads that I used for applying AIO and sealants. I've ordered another gallon but currently I'm out. My problem is that I have over 100 towels that I need to wash this weekend, and the only detergent I have is Charlies soap (Liquid detergent). It doesn't have any fragrance, dyes, or any softeners, and it seems to do a fine job cleaning my clothes without leaving residues. I'm really sensitive and have had allergic reactions/hives from washing clothes with other liquid detergents including most of the other free and clear detergents I've tried (except Ecos Free and clear). Charlies Soap seems to do a fine job on my clothing but the main reason I use it rather than Ecos free and clear is because it's extremely concentrated and costs much less per load.

Have any of you used Charlies soap (liquid) in a pinch when you were out of your standard microfiber detergent? I don't expect either detergent to be even close to as good as 3D Towel Kleen at removing waxes/sealants, but I'm currently presoaking my wax/sealant towels with a few ounces of Optimum Power Clean so that should at least help in that regard.

I hope asking about Charlies soap isn't against the rules. I'm certain that any dedicated microfiber detergent would be better in the past few years I've used 5 gallons of micro-restore before switching to 3D Towel Kleen which I just finished my 3rd gallon of and have no plans of switching. 3D Towel Kleen provides a far better value while performing just as good if not better than micro-restore in my experience. Plus I use HD Speed and/or HD Polish+ on 99% of the jobs I do. My hope is that one of you have used Charlies Soap and if so, whether or not you felt like it was effective?

I have an old top loader washing machine btw if that matters.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to make sure to provide as much context as possible. Thanks fellas!
I havent used charlies soap but where did u get the idea of diluting towel kleen?

Eldorado2k
04-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Who in the world is Charlie? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattPersman
04-02-2017, 07:49 AM
That was on the forums oh my probably 10 years ago Charlie's soap. I remember buying some to try. Seemed to work just fine. Not highly available at the time in my area

I almost just use whatever any more but I'm a hack and don't have any 50 dollar towels to take care of.

RTexasF
04-02-2017, 09:17 AM
I've used it exclusively for many years. It works just as well as the "specialty" microfiber washes.

WaxMaster1
04-02-2017, 10:21 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNvOUkRTkz8

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2017, 11:51 AM

I think some of us can thank Patrick at Excel Detail for introducing us to Charlie.

Tempest45
04-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Add an oz or 2 of a strong apc or water based degreaser to boost the cleaning power if you like.

mwoywod
04-02-2017, 01:35 PM
I havent used charlies soap but where did u get the idea of diluting towel kleen?

Since soaking my HD speed pads in a few ounces of Towel Kleen and seeing how much more effective it was at removing waxes and sealants than using an apc, I started rubbing some directly onto the face of the pad undiluted and ended up using way to much. So I tried putting it into a spray bottle and over time I've found that approx. 5:1 is the best the most effective and cost effective method for removing HD speed from pads. I've found towel kleen to be just as effective as any dedicated pad cleaner at breaking down waxes/sealants at that dilution. I used to have to use a citrus based degreaser like 3D Orange Degreaser to remove HD speed from pads but I noticed that the adhesive backing on my buff and shine pads started prematurely failing and I realized that citrus solvents are used for removing tar, oils, grease, as well as dissolving sticky ADHESIVES. Which Towel Kleen doesn't seem to do

Eldorado2k
04-02-2017, 08:07 PM
@mwoywod. What would work best for removing the black oxidation from a Dynacone after polishing bare aluminum? Besides dedicated pad cleaner [which I'm almost out of] and Meguiars Dynacone cleaner [which I don't have]

mwoywod
04-08-2017, 04:01 PM
@mwoywod. What would work best for removing the black oxidation from a Dynacone after polishing bare aluminum? Besides dedicated pad cleaner [which I'm almost out of] and Meguiars Dynacone cleaner [which I don't have]

Eldorado2k! I'm really sorry I didn't see this sooner. The oxidation transfer from polishing aluminum is the absolute worst isn't it? I actually have a handful of old orange B&S Flat pads that are on their last leg that I use for polishing aluminum. I still clean them and reuse them over and over and when I do clean them I am always able to clean out all of the AIO metal polish (HD Metal) and remove about 90% of the black staining by spraying them with 3D Orange Degreaser 4:1 (after leaving them to soak for about 10 minutes I massage and rinse them out with HOT water then throw them into a bucket with 2 gallons of water and 1oz of 3d Towel Kleen. In my experience a citrus based degreaser is far more effective at cleaning the black aluminum residue out of pads than D101 APC or D108 Degreaser. The only reason I even throw them in the 3D Towel Kleen after using 3d Orange Degreaser is because Towel Kleen is incredibly effective at removing wax/sealants, which HD Metal is an AIO and IMO the equivalent of HD Speed for Metal Polishing. If you polish aluminum often, HD Metal is incredible when paired with a DA, it's similar to Optimum's Metal Polish in Consistency but finishes WAY better and actually wipes off easier. Sorry again for the delayed response!

Eldorado2k
04-08-2017, 07:11 PM
@mwoywod. Thanks for the reply bud. I ended up buying a couple of pump spray bottles of the Meguiars Dynacone Pad Cleaner that seems to be nearly extinct these days.. From everything I've read it should work very good and help clean up the Dynacone after use.

As far as metal polish, you like HD Metal, that's cool.. As far as it being an AIO for metal, I haven't seen where it says anything about it leaving protection behind, at least not on the description here on AG.

From the little messing around that I've done I think I like the Britemax Final Shine Metal Polish & Sealant. Not only does it do a great job at shining up aluminum, but it leaves behind a sealant that so far seems to be holding up ok. [according to my customer]

Thanks again, and hope all is good over by you!

mwoywod
04-08-2017, 10:17 PM
I think you are right about it not being an AIO metal polish like Optimum. I guess I've always just assumed it had protective ingredients in it since I could leave it on for 24 hours if I wanted without worrying that it could become difficult to remove like other polishes. Or maybe I assumed because it was a pain to remove from pads like AIO's.lol Regardless, Thank you for setting me straight!

I feel like they stopped selling that dynacone pad cleaner years ago! Like, even before they stopped selling their "side lock brush" haha