PDA

View Full Version : Gravel driveway how bad is it

Pages : [1] 2

phaeton88
03-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Sorry didn't know where else to post this. I saw a similar question, but that was about long term parking on gravel. My question is I'm moving into a new house that has gravel driveway. I noticed that I always have several stones stuck in my tires. Can these rocks damage the tires? I'm also assuming that once I hit the road, the stones will get kicked out and chip the paint... do you think just driving slowly through the driveway would help to minimize the risk or should I think about paving the driveway? Thank you!

Powerwheels
03-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Of concern is the constant moisture that could come thru the gravel.

FUNX650
03-30-2017, 12:17 PM
If your budget allows...I say:
Pave it.

Bob

Angus
03-30-2017, 12:25 PM
I have a gravel drive way - you'll be fine.

Powerwheels
03-30-2017, 12:36 PM
I'd say it depends where you live, in my area moisture would kill your car over time on gravel.

Don M
03-30-2017, 02:08 PM
I have had a gravel driveway for over 20 years and although it makes it difficult to use ramps or jacks/stands, it isn't all that bad.

phaeton88
03-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the comments! Moisture is not an issue - there is a garage that has concrete floor in it. It'll be just going through a 100 foot long driveway, which is probably not a big deal, but with performance tires and absolutely no scratches on the car at this point, I still feel a little nervous about it

LSNAutoDetailing
03-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Hopefully you don't have to snow blow it...

phaeton88
03-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Snow is the whole different issue, but in winter I'll be driving an suv so I'm not that concerned about it

LSNAutoDetailing
03-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Snow is the whole different issue, but in winter I'll be driving an suv so I'm not that concerned about it

Ugh.. the horror... The auger will catch the rocks... fling them everywhere. I have one parking space in my driveway that is crushed granite. Parking a car on it creates ruts and grooves. If I were staying (we're currently moving) I'd redo the driveway, more importantly pave that granite parking spot. I'd love a driveway like fellow forum member Sizzle Chest.

11Silverado
03-30-2017, 04:16 PM
I live on a gravel driveway that is about 1/3 mile long. It sucks! Being that you're on autogeek, I'm assuming you enjoy a clean car, it is not easy to keep a clean car with gravel. I go 5 mph and that only helps to a point. I have a truck so gravel will get stuck in my tires and I have rock chips to prove it. I must be different than everyone else that has posted, but I can't stand a gravel driveway.

rlmccarty2000
03-30-2017, 08:17 PM
You are right. The gravel that sticks in your tires will come out and chip the paint. No real way to get around this. Driving slower may help, but you can hear the gravel pinging on the car when you drive out on the paved road. Just buy some Dr. Colorchip to fix the inevitable chips.

swanicyouth
03-31-2017, 07:58 AM
I always wonder... Where I live there is a lot of wooded areas and people will build custom homes right off the road. They will build like a huge $500k house, but get a gravel driveway. It may be me, but I just can't understand this. I asked one guy about it, he said it had good traction in the winter. Then I asked him about snow blowing it, and he said he doesn't care because he pays someone to do it. But to me, it seems like it would be a dust pit in the summer and muddy in the spring. Nope. Not for me.

A few years ago my friend moved into a single home into a new construction area. We had plans to go out to dinner and usually when we do this I drive to his house. This time he called me and was like - no, I'll pick you up. I said "why?". He was like they are in the process of topping my road and it's covered in some type of gravel and I know there is no way you will drive your car down anything like that...

phaeton88
03-31-2017, 10:47 AM
I live on a gravel driveway that is about 1/3 mile long. It sucks! Being that you're on autogeek, I'm assuming you enjoy a clean car, it is not easy to keep a clean car with gravel. I go 5 mph and that only helps to a point. I have a truck so gravel will get stuck in my tires and I have rock chips to prove it. I must be different than everyone else that has posted, but I can't stand a gravel driveway.

Sorry about your situation! It seems to me though that a 1/3 mile driveway is a much bigger problem than a 100-foot driveway, cause you would have to actually drive on that gravel, even if slow. For me, on the other hand, it'll be maybe 15 seconds of crawling at 2 mph... still worried about those rocks though...

phaeton88
03-31-2017, 10:52 AM
So it seems like there are many different opinions about this... I guess it depends on the length of the driveway and the type of gravel... there is no doubt that a long stretch of gravel road will kill the paint and eventually the tires, but a short driveway might not be that damaging, even if still frustrating. I guess, I'm gonna test it with my old car and see how many rocks I actually get in my tires.