PDA

View Full Version : Iron-X - Clarification

Y2KSVT
03-29-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm a hobby detailer and have been polishing our vehicles for a few years now. Last year I bought a newer car that I haven't had a chance to touch, so later this month I want to polish the car and use a few products I've never used before. I have the McKee's 37 trio of coatings (paint/wheels/glass) that I'll be trying, having been using only sealants and waxes in the past. I think I have a grip on those, but the other product I'll be trying is Iron-X. I'm looking forward to the results, but I want to make sure I'm using it properly. From what I've gathered, I don't want it to dry on the paint so I'll avoid direct sunlight.

My questions are around when people are using it and dwell-time. Should I be using it after the car is washed and dried? Should the paint be completely dry or should it be wet, when applying the Iron-X? Once applied, the directions say to wait 5 minutes. Are you rubbing the Iron-X into the paint with a damp sponge? If you have to remove it after 5 minutes, how are people spraying down their entire cars with it, like I've seen? I would imagine having to work a panel or two at a time so I could wash it off right at 5 minutes.

Thanks for you responses!

Mantilgh
03-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Look through the "description" section of IronX on the CarProUSA site, it's has some good usage tips.

Dry is best.

You can use it before or after the wash. Before with the aggressive wash technique, after for the gentle approach.

BryanH
03-29-2017, 01:28 PM
I like to use it after washing the car and giving it a quick dry (not 100%). My theory is I don't want to be rubbing anything on the paint when those iron particles have released their bond to the surface. I spray around the whole car which doesn't take long (my cars are small ;)), wait a few minutes and then thoroughly rinse with a strong jet of water. Then dry the car again and start claying.

Ceerokz
03-29-2017, 02:41 PM
I do it after a wash and apply it when it's dry...
During the wash I also use stoners tarminix

MarkD51
03-29-2017, 02:54 PM
First time I ever used Iron-X, I really liberally applied it, like trying to coat every square inch of the paint's surface with the spray from the bottle.

And lesson learned was that I went through quite a bit of it unnecessarily.

Three good full spritzes per door, front fender, rear quarters, maybe 5-6 per hood, and spread with a well dampened sponge is the best way I found, works just as well, and saves wasting too much product.

A .5L Bottle should be more than plenty to do any normal sized car, or small SUV.

I would have a clear bucket of warm water on hand to re-wet the sponge and then squeeze out excess water.

Wear gloves when using, and don't dare use this product in a garage! The stink even lingers for a long time when used outdoors.

Rinse, rinse, and rinse! You may see continual "bleed" at door handles, and such areas, this is normal. Just keep rinsing.

MarkD51
03-29-2017, 03:12 PM
When I used Iron-X I did so after a full wash, and like mentioned, the vehicle was just about completely bone dry. After Iron-X, the next steps should be claying, then the polishing processes.

With a well dampened sponge, this helps prolong the wet dwell time of the product so it doesn't dry quickly upon the paint.

By using it neat with a dry sponge, it will dry quite quickly, and you don't want it to dry upon the paint.

WillSports3
03-29-2017, 04:09 PM
I actually use Iron X first because I use Iron X and Tar X at the same time right before a wash. That way the product dwells on for longer. The other option you can try is to use the Iron X Snow foam. Either use it to form your car or when I need to decontaminate, I wash first with Iron X then I wash again with another soap.

AnilAli
03-29-2017, 05:26 PM
This is very easy to use once you can get over its smell :(... however this is designed to react to Iron particles on any surface its sprayed on, therefore if the car is wet,doesn't matter, just makes the decon faster. I normally wait 5-10 min in a cool area, but you will see the iron bleeding effect and thats when to wash it off. Carpro recommends using a dedicated sponge or wash mitt to apply evenly however I find this to be not necessary and also having a risk of marring the paint seeing that ironx isn't a soap. Just spray liberally and wait :).

Crispy
03-29-2017, 09:14 PM
This is very easy to use once you can get over its smell :(... however this is designed to react to Iron particles on any surface its sprayed on, therefore if the car is wet,doesn't matter, just makes the decon faster. I normally wait 5-10 min in a cool area, but you will see the iron bleeding effect and thats when to wash it off. Carpro recommends using a dedicated sponge or wash mitt to apply evenly however I find this to be not necessary and also having a risk of marring the paint seeing that ironx isn't a soap. Just spray liberally and wait :).

I'm in this camp.

Spray water and wash with soap.

Rinse with clean water and apply Iron X.

Let sit in shade 5 minutes (don't let dry) and rinse off.

Applying it to a wet car actually is better as it will migrate into areas you would not get to if dry (dilutes it a bit but not much).

Next step claying and repeat Iron X if want.

derass
03-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Great advice in here. Also read the product page on CarPro's website. But one thing I'm still uncomfortable with is the agitation after dwelling. There have been a few mentions of that here, some for, some against. Any more input on that? Is it necessary? Is a MF towel or wash mitt any better/safer than a sponge?

AnilAli
03-30-2017, 03:10 AM
Mate, no need as mentioned above, just spray liberally and enjoy!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01FD using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

brad911
03-30-2017, 07:40 PM
I wash, dry, spray with Iron X, rinse, soap & clay