PDA

View Full Version : Blue Pearl Suburu paint

Pages : [1] 2

DaveT435
03-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Doing a Pearl Blue WRX STI this weekend. I plan on starting under the assumption it's going to be typical really soft Suburu paint. If anyone knows this to be incorrect please let me know. This is my first Suburu so if anyone has any tips I would like to hear them. My plans are Hyper Polish, Pinnacle Finishing Polish, or Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Followed by coating with CSL or CSL and EXO v3. Any information would be appreciated.

Heisenberg
03-28-2017, 09:27 AM
I had a pretty easy time correcting a newer lapis blue WRX last weekend. Played really nicely with my G21 and a yellow pad. I ended up using Essence because I was coating it with CQ afterwards, but I did give Hyper Polish a shot and it worked very well.

Bonus pic: http://i.imgur.com/FbIEkctl.jpg

DaveT435
03-28-2017, 09:35 AM
I had a pretty easy time correcting a newer lapis blue WRX last weekend. Played really nicely with my G21 and a yellow pad. I ended up using Essence because I was coating it with CQ afterwards, but I did give Hyper Polish a shot and it worked very well.

Bonus pic: http://i.imgur.com/FbIEkctl.jpg

I appreciate the input. This car is new and the kid told them not to wash it at the dealership. He said it does have some swirls but very minor. My main concern is marring the paint trying to finish it out. Sounds like I should be fine. I do have Essence in case I need it. Thanks again.

Heisenberg
03-28-2017, 09:59 AM
I appreciate the input. This car is new and the kid told them not to wash it at the dealership. He said it does have some swirls but very minor. My main concern is marring the paint trying to finish it out. Sounds like I should be fine. I do have Essence in case I need it. Thanks again.

It wasn't bad at all. Have fun! :xyxthumbs:

fly07sti
03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
I would go with hyper polish. It's actually one of my very favorite polishes and it works well on finicky paint. It's also nice because it leaves minimal residue to be removed prior to coating.

Mantilgh
03-28-2017, 11:37 AM
That would be World Rally Blue Pearl for us Subi fan boys. :xyxthumbs:

I have had Optimums Polish II work very well on soft Subaru paint. I'd imagine that their Hyper Polish would work well too.

DaveT435
03-28-2017, 12:31 PM
I would go with hyper polish. It's actually one of my very favorite polishes and it works well on finicky paint. It's also nice because it leaves minimal residue to be removed prior to coating.

Hyper Polish was actually the first polish I bought, I've been using it ever since. I'm still trying to figure out why I bought the other 30 polishes lol. I've used it on Honda paint, but from what I've read abou Suburu paint it's a lot softer. Thanks for the input.

I have had Optimums Polish II work very well on soft Subaru paint. I'd imagine that their Hyper Polish would work well too.

Pearl Blue was the only thing the owner told me. lol It's actually my neighbor kid. It's his first Suburu. I'll make sure and pass along the proper paint name lol. Thanks for the input. It looks like Hyper Polish is the way I'm going to go. I may do some test spots with the Pinnacle and Wolfgang just to learn from it.

umana2482
03-28-2017, 01:08 PM
I worked on a black metallic Subaru outback about 3 weeks ago. It did have soft paint.
It was heavily swirled out, went ahead with my Rupes 15" with a green pad and HD Cut. Worked wondefully but I went ahead with a second step to eliminate light marring. Essence on a yellow pad I believe or white, Finished beautifully.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

DaveT435
03-28-2017, 03:44 PM
I worked on a black metallic Subaru outback about 3 weeks ago. It did have soft paint.
It was heavily swirled out, went ahead with my Rupes 15" with a green pad and HD Cut. Worked wondefully but I went ahead with a second step to eliminate light marring. Essence on a yellow pad I believe or white, Finished beautifully.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I may end up using Essence if I run into any marring. I may use it anyway now that I think about it. Being a neighbor's car I can keep an eye on it to see if the Essence has and effect on the durability of CSL, or CSL and EXO v3, whi ever the case may be. I'm going to be a little disappointed if he cheaps out on my and wants to go just EXO v2.

Desertnate
03-28-2017, 04:12 PM

In all fairness to the OP, the recent line of WRX's offers two different shades of blue: World Rally Blue Pearl AND Lapis Blue Pearl. So, technically he is correct...it will be a blue pearl! Lapis is the color shown in Heisenberg's photos. It's darker than WR Blue.

OK...back to the regularly scheduled thread....

Joe@NextLevelDetail
03-28-2017, 04:43 PM
The last pearl blue wrx i worked on was super soft and sticky.

It didnt like the flex, 15mm or 21mm throw machine.

The paint was correcting easy but the polish was a nightmare to remove. After over 1 hour of trying different techniques out of desperation i tried a porter cable with a polishing pad. And the paint came out 95% and was a dream to wipe off.

The key was to not create heat so the polish doesnt stick.

Try a 8mm throw da first if the paint is sticky.

After that got the car done in no time!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

DaveT435
03-28-2017, 04:57 PM

It's this one!! lol

World Rally able Pearl

Not sure why the picture posted sideways...

DaveT435
03-28-2017, 05:12 PM
The last pearl blue wrx i worked on was super soft and sticky.

It didnt like the flex, 15mm or 21mm throw machine.

The paint was correcting easy but the polish was a nightmare to remove. After over 1 hour of trying different techniques out of desperation i tried a porter cable with a polishing pad. And the paint came out 95% and was a dream to wipe off.

The key was to not create heat so the polish doesnt stick.

Try a 8mm throw da first if the paint is sticky.

After that got the car done in no time!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Thanks Joe. I read something else a couple days ago about someone having a problem with the 15 mm marring paint. It may have actually been Suburu paint. I guess I may be using my 7424xp. Spend all that money for nice tools and can't use them...Damn! lol I guess I can use the smaller throw on the ibird for small areas. I've read you real,y want to plug it in if your going to run it with that setup.

What color is Nick's Suburu??

Also someone is telling him the paint is really thin on this car. I've got a PTG so I'll find out. Just wondering if anyone can confirm or deny that.

umana2482
03-28-2017, 05:19 PM
I may end up using Essence if I run into any marring. I may use it anyway now that I think about it. Being a neighbor's car I can keep an eye on it to see if the Essence has and effect on the durability of CSL, or CSL and EXO v3, whi ever the case may be. I'm going to be a little disappointed if he cheaps out on my and wants to go just EXO v2.
That would be nice and you can keep the forum updated with durability and effects of Essence with Gtechniq coatings.

Kamakaz1961
03-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Looks great! Bring out the Blue and made it pop!