PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Merino wool wash mitt

lightsout66
03-27-2017, 05:36 PM
I just purchased my first wool wash mitt Aussie merino wool wash mitt (I've always used microfiber wash mitts) and I'm trying to learn how to clean and maintain it. I have a lot of questions like can you put it in the washer? Does it have to be brushed every time you use it?How should it be stored?I heard a lot of horror stories of them drying out cracking and falling apart any info will be very helpful Thanks John

Shortspark
03-29-2017, 06:25 AM
I have the best wool mitt on the market, CarPro Merino Wool. I have had it for several years and followed the manufacture's instructions, which I will copy for you below. These instructions should work for any Merino Wool was mitt. I will add a couple things from my own experience - do not use the mitt on an exceptionally dirty vehicle. That might seem strange but if you get a lot of grime and grease/tar on it you will loose the advantage of the wool and the design because these things are too difficult to remove without damage to the wool. Also, do not use excessive force when washing. This is true no matter what you use but with a wool mitt it is doubly important. It will do the job with only moderate pressure. Here are the maintenance instructions from CarPro:

"How to get the most out of your Merino Wool Wash Mitt:

Rinse well before first use: It is steam sterilized before shipping however as with any natural product and material that will touch your paint it is best to brush it out and rinse before its first use.
After washing a vehicle rinse the mitt clean of all soap with hose nozzle
Unlike other quality wool wash mitts that must be turned inside out to dry the hide as well (not always an easy process) this mitt is simply swung for a minute using centripetal force to remove the excess water from it.
Then place on a clean grit guard or perforated plastic drain of some type (preferably face down) and allow to dry completely.
Use a pet brush with sufficient spacing between the bristles and gently brush the mitt a couple times to keep fur from tangling over time.
It is normal to experience a little hair loss but there is no need to over brush your mitt
Stow in a clean place for its next use.
Washing Tips:
Fill 5 gallon bucket 3/4 to the top
Measure prescribed amount of car wash
Mix well with your arm
Spray with hose to activate suds
Spray down entire vehicle to remove all loose dirt
Gently Wash from top down rinsing mitt out often
Rinse Mitt in seperate rinse bucket with up and down motion - Always before placing it back in wash bucket to collect more solution
Aggressive scrubbing actions should not be used. Simply allow the mitt to glide back and forth. Use a bug sponge for bugs that have been baked onto the paint.
Use a seperate mitt for wheels with its own dedicated bucket."

lightsout66
03-29-2017, 09:18 AM
That is awesome thank you so much for your response this information was very helpful to me.

Shortspark
03-29-2017, 09:28 AM
You are very welcome. I see you have the three point star under your name so I assume you own a Mercedes. I do too, a 2017 CLS550. Cars like these get only the finest. Another tip I can give you is to buy a boar's hair brush for the lower panels. These areas get the dirtiest and the brush will help where you may not want to use the wool mitt. I don't know your age but an old guy like me also appreciates brush handle that keeps me from stooping down to clean the bottom parts of the car. Good luck with the mitt and I'm sure you will enjoy using it on your MB.

lightsout66
03-29-2017, 06:57 PM
That is a beautiful car I have a 2016 CLA 250. Thank you for the tip on the boars hair brush that is something I'm definitely going to pick up on my next purchase. Also thanks again for all your knowledgeable information it's people like you that make this a great site to visit 56035

Shortspark
03-29-2017, 07:49 PM
And your car is a cool one as well. It is designed after the CLS which started a revolution a few years ago. The CLS was the first "four door coupe" which virtually every manufacturer has copied in one model or another. The C, E and even the S class seem like clones except for size but the CLA and CLS have maintained their individuality. I Just used the brush and mitt tonight and I could not be more pleased with the results. Good cars deserve good equipment!

lightsout66
03-29-2017, 07:58 PM
My new mitt comes tomorrow just tracked it so I get to use it this weekend. I'll just use a microfiber mitt for the Lower panels till I get the boars hair brush