PDA

View Full Version : Removing Opticoat 2.0?

clm65
03-27-2017, 07:37 AM
I applied Opticoat 2.0 to my truck (2010 F150) about 5 or 6 years ago. This sides and hood still look great, but the roof...not so much. I usually just use a long handled microfiber tool to do the roof, so I don't get a good look at it. Yesterday I broke out the ladder and found that the roof has a couple of areas that are really bad and will need to be repainted. What is the best way to make sure any remaining OC is removed so that the new paint and clear coat will properly adhere?

Dan K
03-27-2017, 07:50 AM
The sanding and paint prep will remove any remaining coating.

clm65
03-27-2017, 09:36 AM
So wash with dawn, wipe with prep solvent, and sand away. Got it. I wasn't sure if there was some other chemical product that works exceptionally well for removing OC. Thanks!

MikeC78
03-27-2017, 09:55 AM
A light polish will remove OC just fine. I wouldn't sand it. You'll end up removing too much clear coat or all of it.

Dan K
03-27-2017, 10:17 AM
A light polish will remove OC just fine. I wouldn't sand it. You'll end up removing too much clear coat or all of it.

Yes, polishing will remove it. I am of course referring to the roof which he said is in need of a repaint.

Hammer77
03-27-2017, 10:21 AM
As Mike said a light polish should take care of it. Let the sanding and prep work be left to the body shop you choose to repaint deal with it.

clm65
03-27-2017, 10:37 AM
I need to look at the whole roof closely. I may repaint it all if the damaged areas are extensive. In that case, I'll be sanding it all anyway to prepare for the new primer/paint/clear. If I can get away with localized repairs, I like your advice on polishing the areas surrounding the repairs and just sand the repair areas themselves.

clm65
03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
As Mike said a light polish should take care of it. Let the sanding and prep work be left to the body shop you choose to repaint deal with it.

Actually I'm probably going to paint it myself. If it wasn't the roof, I would probably hire someone. But the roof is not easily visible, so I'm ok if it is not perfect.