PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Small Pad selection

Wknd Dtlr
03-26-2017, 11:20 AM
I need to stock up on small pads and could use some advice. I have re-tasked by GG6 to be my official small pad machine. I'm an enthusiast detailer with about 8 years experience so have good working knowledge of equipment, product and pads.

I had been using 4 inch pads but now it looks like the trend is to 3' or 3.5" pads, or am i just imagining that? I have BP's for both but would like to simplify my stash.

My CCS pads are worn out but they were very durable. I had some 4" Hydrotech tangerine from 2015 but they concaved quickly and the velcro backing came off quickly. Have they improved? I just bought some new 4inch cyan and they seem to be doing ok. I also bought some white 3.5" thin pros that seem nice.

The bottom line is I would like a streamlined, effective supply of small pads and would welcome your opinion of what seems to be working the best. I'm not a frequent user so price isn't a huge deal. If the H2O tangerines have improved I will get those but it seems the durability isn't there with them.

thanks again for any guidance you can give me.

fightnews
03-26-2017, 01:57 PM
I need to stock up on small pads and could use some advice. I have re-tasked by GG6 to be my official small pad machine. I'm an enthusiast detailer with about 8 years experience so have good working knowledge of equipment, product and pads.

I had been using 4 inch pads but now it looks like the trend is to 3' or 3.5" pads, or am i just imagining that? I have BP's for both but would like to simplify my stash.

My CCS pads are worn out but they were very durable. I had some 4" Hydrotech tangerine from 2015 but they concaved quickly and the velcro backing came off quickly. Have they improved? I just bought some new 4inch cyan and they seem to be doing ok. I also bought some white 3.5" thin pros that seem nice.

The bottom line is I would like a streamlined, effective supply of small pads and would welcome your opinion of what seems to be working the best. I'm not a frequent user so price isn't a huge deal. If the H2O tangerines have improved I will get those but it seems the durability isn't there with them.

thanks again for any guidance you can give me.

I'm pretty happy with my new 3" boss pads from griots garage. I think they might still be on sale. you get a microfiber and a bunch of foam pads. I like them a lot better then the lake county ones I had before.

Edit: looks like they aren't on sale anymore but might still be worth buying

Crispy
03-26-2017, 02:17 PM
LC ThinPro 3.5 " will make you happy.

They transform the GG3 into a dynamo.

Rotation way up, correction way up, heat way down and waxing a very quick application.

Get the 6 pack and try them for yourself but they work for me.

mwoywod
03-26-2017, 02:42 PM
I personally found the LC 4" pads to be too thick and not durable. I highly recommend the 4" buff and shine flats.
They are twice as thin as CCS, LC flats, and hydro-tech 4" pads and they are incredibly durable. It sounds to me like you prefer dense foam pads that do not absorb too much product. If I'm right I highly recommend buying the 4" yellow (heavy cutting), orange (cutting), and white (heavy polishing) european prepolymer buff and shine pads. Also, their 4" microfiber cutting pads are great for hard paints or heavy defects.

dlc95
03-26-2017, 02:55 PM
If you concaved your Hydrotechs, you'll want to stay away from them, and closed cell pads in general. The CCS/flat foams are really resilient (be careful with the white foam as it's got both closed and open cells), as are Buff and Shine flat Grip Pads.

derass
03-26-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm also using my 7424XP with small pads. I just got some LC 3" Flat Pads and I like that they are a bit taller (~1-1.5") so that they keep the machine further away from those intricate areas where you need a small pad.

Wknd Dtlr
03-26-2017, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty happy with my new 3" boss pads from griots garage. I think they might still be on sale. you get a microfiber and a bunch of foam pads. I like them a lot better then the lake county ones I had before.

Edit: looks like they aren't on sale anymore but might still be worth buying
I'll look into these. Not real familiar with their pads yet.

LC ThinPro 3.5 " will make you happy.

They transform the GG3 into a dynamo.

Rotation way up, correction way up, heat way down and waxing a very quick application.

Get the 6 pack and try them for yourself but they work for me.
I have a white one that I bought and haven't tried yet. sounds pretty good based on your comment

I personally found the LC 4" pads to be too thick and not durable. I highly recommend the 4" buff and shine flats.
They are twice as thin as CCS, LC flats, and hydro-tech 4" pads and they are incredibly durable. It sounds to me like you prefer dense foam pads that do not absorb too much product. If I'm right I highly recommend buying the 4" yellow (heavy cutting), orange (cutting), and white (heavy polishing) european prepolymer buff and shine pads. Also, their 4" microfiber cutting pads are great for hard paints or heavy defects.
Yes, in general I do like denser pads that don't soak up a lot of product. The buff and shine look interesting. I use that brand for my flex and love them. Are these the pads you're describing?
Buff and Shine 4 Inch Flat Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/buff-and-shine-4-inch-flat-foam-pads.html)

If you concaved your Hydrotechs, you'll want to stay away from them, and closed cell pads in general. The CCS/flat foams are really resilient (be careful with the white foam as it's got both closed and open cells), as are Buff and Shine flat Grip Pads.
I was hoping the hyrdotechs would work as they work great on my 5 1/2 inch pads. great cut and amazing finish.

I'm also using my 7424XP with small pads. I just got some LC 3" Flat Pads and I like that they are a bit taller (~1-1.5") so that they keep the machine further away from those intricate areas where you need a small pad.
I'll look into those. The problem I'm running into is that now there are multiple sizes 3" 3.5" 4". I'm looking for the size with the most versatility in pad selection.

mwoywod
03-26-2017, 05:15 PM
yes, those are the 4" buff and shine pads I was talking about. At the very least you should buy a two pack of the orange medium cutting pads. They are my favorite and an all around good pad that works with heavy compounds and finishing polishes and will last longer than any of the Lake Country pads I've tried

Mike@ShineStruck
03-26-2017, 05:52 PM
3.5 LC thin pros would be my choice

funny thing when thin pros and low pros came out..I talked to both companies and B&S said they'd have 3.5 low pros out later...so went low pros and they never came out with 3.5 version lmao

dlc95
03-26-2017, 06:03 PM
yes, those are the 4" buff and shine pads I was talking about. At the very least you should buy a two pack of the orange medium cutting pads. They are my favorite and an all around good pad that works with heavy compounds and finishing polishes and will last longer than any of the Lake Country pads I've tried

The green have been a long time favorite for cutting for me. They've done some incredible lifting for me over the years - even besting the yellow and orange. I follow with blue and M205 to maximize the gloss before sealing. Great pads for sure.

Wknd Dtlr
03-26-2017, 09:56 PM
At the very least you should buy a two pack of the orange medium cutting pads. They are my favorite and an all around good pad that works with heavy compounds and finishing polishes

The green have been a long time favorite for cutting for me. They've done some incredible lifting for me over the years - even besting the yellow and orange. I follow with blue and M205 to maximize the gloss before sealing. .

this series of pads sure has a lot of choices. Sounds like I need the orange AND green based on the conditions I have? also, what is the difference with their various finishing pads?

thanks

Corey@OptimalDetailing
03-26-2017, 10:16 PM
LC ThinPro's are amazing. Got a small order in a few weeks back and the orange cutting is killer. Will definitely be ordering more in the near future to stock up for 3-3.5" pads. I've heard their new MF cutting pads are good too.

dlc95
03-26-2017, 11:02 PM
this series of pads sure has a lot of choices. Sounds like I need the orange AND green based on the conditions I have? also, what is the difference with their various finishing pads?

thanks

The blue is the only one I use for finish polishing. Out of the blue, black, and red it offers the most potential cut, but also finishes beautifully. For me, this makes it quite a versatile pad. Because of this versatility, it is the one that gets used most often.

My usage is as follows:
Green = Compounding / Heavy "one step" polishing.
Blue = General / Finish polishing
Black = AIO (cleaner wax)
Red = Sealant / wax application.

In the 4" line they do not offer a red, but do offer a white. This white pad is different than their white polishing pad.

mwoywod
03-27-2017, 12:29 AM
The blue is the only one I use for finish polishing. Out of the blue, black, and red it offers the most potential cut, but also finishes beautifully. For me, this makes it quite a versatile pad. Because of this versatility, it is the one that gets used most often.

My usage is as follows:
Green = Compounding / Heavy "one step" polishing.
Blue = General / Finish polishing
Black = AIO (cleaner wax)
Red = Sealant / wax application.

In the 4" line they do not offer a red, but do offer a white. This white pad is different than their white polishing pad.

dlc95 is well known for his extensive knowledge of pads so I would certainly take his advice over mine. He leans mostly towards open-cell american foams. Personally, these foams do not work well with my polishing style but they are still great pads. It's just that they respond much better to users who prefer polishing with just the weight of the machine. That has just been my experience! If I were you I would probably ignore the rest of us clowns and take dlc95's advice.haha

dlc95
03-27-2017, 05:01 AM
dlc95 is well known for his extensive knowledge of pads so I would certainly take his advice over mine. He leans mostly towards open-cell american foams. Personally, these foams do not work well with my polishing style but they are still great pads. It's just that they respond much better to users who prefer polishing with just the weight of the machine. That has just been my experience! If I were you I would probably ignore the rest of us clowns and take dlc95's advice.haha

LOL!

No way man!

You have great info, and your own experiences with your selection.