PDA

View Full Version : Spring Order...Griot's, Chemical Guys or????

Pages : [1] 2

malibuboats91
03-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Hi everyone! I am starting to plan out my spring order and am wondering if you have any thoughts or suggestions. I have a mythos black metallic Audi S3 that get's dirty all too quickly so I have been trying to use up all of my miscellaneous products so I can order larger quantities of professional grade products. I have used a lot of Meg's stuff and occasionally order Griot's. Lately I've been seeing a lot about Chemical Guy's on Instagram too, but their product line is rather difficult to figure out. I am looking to purchase the following products:

Polish - Menzerna SF3500 and MC2500 used in the past. Will probably order again.
Wheel Cleaner - Used Griot's standard green cleaner
Detail Spray - Used Meg's Ultimate Detail Spray
Spray Wax - Used Meg's Ultimate Wax
Clay - Used Meg's in the past
Cannon - my $20 cannon from Amazon made it only one summer :laughing:
Snow Foam - Used Duragloss last summer and it worked ok, but not great. Was looking at getting Honeydew
Leather cleaner and conditioner - Historically have used Meg's APC to clean, then Lexol or Megs to condition

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

custmsprty
03-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Griot's Bosses Creams Or HD Speed Line.

I do really like the Honey Dew Snow Foam!

ducksfan
03-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Since you like Meguiars, you might consider their Detailers line. D156 is supposed to be the same as Ultimate Spray Wax and only $30 less discounts for a gallon. I don't know if D128 detailer is the same as Ultimate, but there's been a lot of good reviews on it here. And, a lot of good things said about D143 Wheel Cleaner.

Unless your seats are real uncoated leather, I would use an interior detailer (less harsh) on them.

Oh, and I would replace the clay with a clay alt prep towel.

Speedy Surface Prep Towel, clay towel, clay bar towel, sm arnold clay towel (http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel1.html)

11Silverado
03-26-2017, 10:57 AM
It takes awhile to figure out what you like and what works for you. Reading reviews and taking suggestions always helps, but you may not experience the same results. Chemical Guys is a lot of marketing hype in my opinion. They have a too many of the same product with different names to market to different crowds. They do have some good stuff, but it is not my first choice.

badger91
03-26-2017, 11:17 AM
I use mostly Meg's too. I don't like how CG gears everything toward being somewhat sexual. Griots is good too. Good luck

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone! I am starting to plan out my spring order and am wondering if you have any thoughts or suggestions. I have a mythos black metallic Audi S3 that get's dirty all too quickly so I have been trying to use up all of my miscellaneous products so I can order larger quantities of professional grade products. I have used a lot of Meg's stuff and occasionally order Griot's. Lately I've been seeing a lot about Chemical Guy's on Instagram too, but their product line is rather difficult to figure out. I am looking to purchase the following products:

Polish - Menzerna SF3500 and MC2500 used in the past. Will probably order again.
Wheel Cleaner - Used Griot's standard green cleaner
Detail Spray - Used Meg's Ultimate Detail Spray
Spray Wax - Used Meg's Ultimate Wax
Clay - Used Meg's in the past
Cannon - my $20 cannon from Amazon made it only one summer :laughing:
Snow Foam - Used Duragloss last summer and it worked ok, but not great. Was looking at getting Honeydew
Leather cleaner and conditioner - Historically have used Meg's APC to clean, then Lexol or Megs to condition

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I agree that Chemical Guys should be approached with a bit of caution. They do make some excellent products, but they are A LOT of marketing hype and there is much redundancy in their product line. Here's what I personally like going down your list...

Polish - Menzerna is some of the best on the market. Consider adding FG400 (I think it's called something300 now) for heavier defect removal.
Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Full Effect
Detail Spray - Chemical Guys Vintage Speed Wipe
Spray Wax - Optimum Car Wax and Blackfire spray wax
Clay - Speedy Prep clay towel
Car Wash - CarPro Reset, McKees high foam soap
Leather - Pinnacle Black Label cleaner and coating.

badger91
03-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Since you like Meguiars, you might consider their Detailers line. D156 is supposed to be the same as Ultimate Spray Wax and only $30 less discounts for a gallon. I don't know if D128 detailer is the same as Ultimate, but there's been a lot of good reviews on it here. And, a lot of good things said about D143 Wheel Cleaner.

Unless your seats are real uncoated leather, I would use an interior detailer (less harsh) on them.

Oh, and I would replace the clay with a clay alt prep towel.

Speedy Surface Prep Towel, clay towel, clay bar towel, sm arnold clay towel (http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel1.html)

Where are these Meg's deals you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LEDetailing
03-26-2017, 11:56 AM
Where are these Meg's deals you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax 128 oz (http://www.autogeekmobile.net/meguiars-xpress-spray-wax.html)

love this stuff! Can add protection to door jambs, gunnels (thanks Ron), anything for that matter. Did I mention I love D156:)

malibuboats91
03-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the replies! Would Meguiars pro line be as good as say Griot's for everything except maybe snow foam and polishes? I'd be fine with sticking with them, but a gallon of Griot's or CG is just a tad more expensive. And yes Menz are my favorite polishes. I've experimented more on the wax/polish side than I have on the other products.

k20trick
03-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Griots really upped their game on their products those BOSS creams are amazing and so is the polisher. I love the whole ergonomics of the system from the nice sprayers to the caps on the polishes.

BadgerRivFan
03-26-2017, 12:40 PM
If you're trying to stick with the same product line, and like the idea of "chemical synergy," Meguiar's and Griots Garage both are strong choices.

Another to consider with excellent products in just about every category and good value for the money is McKee's 37. It seems to me that McKee's is doing their best to go after Meguiar's and compete for both the professional detailers and DIY hobbyist markets...

http://www.autogeek.net/detailers-pride.html

malibuboats91
03-26-2017, 12:51 PM
I guess what introduced me to Griots was my polisher and the fact that the dealership my buddy worked at was a Griot's dealer so we could get 25-30% off on it. Otherwise I've always used Meg's stuff. If there's really no advantage for me to switch to a better brand maybe I should just stick with them and buy gallons. Any suggestions on good spray bottles? I'm currently using Dollar Tree bottles and they are a pain.

dlc95
03-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Meguiar's is hands down my favorite line. Granted I haven't really ventured too far away. Utilitarian is a great term to describe them. Product synergy, ease of use, effectiveness, universality, are others that come to mind. They're also relatively easy to source should you run out, and not have time for your online purchase to arrive.

derass
03-26-2017, 03:20 PM
I don't know if D128 detailer is the same as Ultimate, but there's been a lot of good reviews on it here. And, a lot of good things said about D143 Wheel Cleaner.

M135 Synthetic Spray Detailer comes in a gallon size and is the professional version of the consumer Ultimate Quik Detailer. Similarily, D143 Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner is the gallon equivalent of Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.

I just bought a bunch of products from Meguiar's Detailer line. I love the value of buying in gallons.

-D156 Synthetic Spray Wax
-D143 Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner
-D155 Last Touch spray detailer

I would have got M135 instead, but it was sold out here on AG. I'm sure D155 will be just as good with the added bonus of being able to use it as clay lube.

malibuboats91
03-26-2017, 03:34 PM
M135 Synthetic Spray Detailer comes in a gallon size and is the professional version of the consumer Ultimate Quik Detailer. Similarily, D143 Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner is the gallon equivalent of Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.

I just bought a bunch of products from Meguiar's Detailer line. I love the value of buying in gallons.

-D156 Synthetic Spray Wax
-D143 Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner
-D155 Last Touch spray detailer

I would have got M135 instead, but it was sold out here on AG. I'm sure D155 will be just as good with the added bonus of being able to use it as clay lube.
I'm going to go that route. Did AG have it on sale? I was going to order everything today but can't find Meg's on sale anywhere