PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Air Filters

Pages : [1] 2

Hammer77
03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
I figured since we here are car people, I would ask for some input on this. My 200 is my first car that I am aware of, that has a cabin air filter. When do you change them? Is it based on time, I know it sounds silly but, mileage? Just curious on what you folks recommend/do!

TMQ
03-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Look in the scheduled maintenance book. Usually tells you when and the mileage as well.

Tom

Hammer77
03-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Sad to say I never thought of that, LOL. I was sitting here thinking about it looked on FRAM's website, found nothing. Thanks Tom!

Rsurfer
03-25-2017, 02:02 PM
I just changed mine after 3 years, with low mileage (11,000) and is was in fair condition. Could have been blown out with comprised air and reused but I changed it.

I think mileage is more important than time unless you frequently drive in a dusty area.

2black1s
03-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Too many variables to give a precise answer, i.e., usage (mileage), conditions (environment), etc. Manufacturers most likely recommend replacement based on a period of time and/or mileage, but that assumes "normal" operating conditions. I'd simply take a look at the filter at or near the recommended replacement interval and use it's condition as a basis for replacement, and then use your findings to plan for future replacement intervals.

oneheadlite
03-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Quick search shows it looks like Chrysler recommends every 16k. I work on Audis and BMWs for a living, they have recommendations ranging from 20k, 30k, to every 2 years depending on the model year.

I like 2black1s advice. Be sure to stick to quality filters (sorry, Fram may not fit the bill- be sure to compare to your original), as I see a lot of cheap filters with really poor fitment.

Jaretr1
03-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Probably once a year or so. Check it and see how bad it looks. Remember, you are breathing whatever the filter is filtering, not your car! I try to change them once a year. I actually bought a K&N cabin filter so I will never have to replace mine, just clean it. (yes, K&N makes washable cabin air filters).

Hammer77
03-25-2017, 02:55 PM
I used Frams info just to see what they said. I was planning on picking one up at the parts dept. when I get my next oil change. Still has the original filter in. The one thing I keep thinking about is moisture. In Michigan we have high humidity, and was thinking over time it collects on the filter.

Levithan9
03-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Hey HAMMER77...

I'm an an auto tech by trade. When to change it depends on where you live. As a rule of thumb, I change mine out on my Camry every 6 months. Keeps the evap coil from getting dirty, which will kill the ecap core, and most likely cause a leak or decreased airflow and cooling.

Nick McKees37
03-25-2017, 03:17 PM
I change mine once a year, and I'm ALWAYS shocked at just how filthy it is (and I hardly run the air!). Well worth every penny ($20-$40 depending on the vehicle). It's something you can change yourself too: pop the glove box out (most cars) and there it is.

AZpolisher15
03-25-2017, 03:23 PM
I change mine 2x a year, regardless of whether it looks like it needs changing or not (usually May and November). Sometimes it's visibly dirty, sometimes it's not (but they're usually dirty after the fall season). I've found that when swapping them regularly, dirty or not, my vehicles maintain more of a "fresh" smell. When you change them, you'll immediately notice that it seems like you're breathing fresher air. Keep in mind that they filter microscopic particles, so even when they appear to be clean, airflow is probably reduced to some degree if they've not been changed in awhile. Vehicles also often sit in humid environments and our filters are permeated with humid air. Mold and pollen spores, visible or not, are also bound to collect.

Is this frequency of changing necessary? No, absolutely not. Some have a vehicle for years and never change them. In the end, it's personal preference, although clogged filters can be hard on blower fans and affect the overall efficiency of the system.

PA DETAILER
03-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Once a year on my Xterra.

derass
03-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Check it as per your vehicle's maintenance schedule. It's fairly obvious to tell when they need replacing.

Here's a good photo of a new filter, one that's halfway there and another that needs replacing.http://lowells.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/6a00d834b8bbb553ef0147e27bede3970b-pi

JRP
03-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Check out RockAuto online you can spend as much or as little as you see fit.

I have had good luck with fitment and quality purchasing Pronto brand cabin filters and their air filters.

Mike Honcho
03-25-2017, 08:32 PM
I check mine, along with the air filter at every oil change and change as needed. The filter will let you know when it's time.