PDA

View Full Version : Which more aggressive compound/polish might I need

AJ Peacock
03-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Thanks in advance,

I'll be doing a exterior detail on my daughters 2014 focus in about a month.

I'm a newbie w/re DA polishing (I am very handy with all other sorts of tools, woodworking, metal work ...)

I initially planned on just doing a swirl removal, so bought the Wolfgang Swirl removal kit (swirl remover and finishing glaze).

I have a PC DA and a good selection of CCS pads (Yellow, Orange, Pink, Blue, White, Black)

I've been thinking that it might be smart to have the ability to go just a little more aggressive if I find that the swirl remover isn't quite enough.

I have to make an order from AGO between now and then.

I thought I'd see if getting one step more agressive on hand is a good idea, or just do the correction with the swirl remover and see how it ends up.
This car is a DD.

Thanks,
AJ

Rsurfer
03-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Thanks in advance,

I'll be doing a exterior detail on my daughters 2014 focus in about a month.

I'm a newbie w/re DA polishing (I am very handy with all other sorts of tools, woodworking, metal work ...)

I initially planned on just doing a swirl removal, so bought the Wolfgang Swirl removal kit (swirl remover and finishing glaze).

I have a PC DA and a good selection of CCS pads (Yellow, Orange, Pink, Blue, White, Black)

I've been thinking that it might be smart to have the ability to go just a little more aggressive if I find that the swirl remover isn't quite enough.

I have to make an order from AGO between now and then.

I thought I'd see if getting one step more agressive on hand is a good idea, or just do the correction with the swirl remover and see how it ends up.
This car is a DD.

Thanks,
AJ

If I remember correctly, Wolfgang's TSR is medium compound and with a orange ccs pad should remove some light to medium swirls. Finish up with a white ccs pad and your finishing glaze. Have fun, step back and admire your work.

Eldorado2k
03-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Griots Garage Correcting Cream works great. They also have Fast Correcting Cream, but on that factory paint the regular Correcting Cream should be enough to handle anything on that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Baldone
03-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Try the Meguires DA microfiber system. It works very well with the Porter Cable.

AJ Peacock
03-22-2017, 04:58 PM
If I remember correctly, Wolfgang's TSR is medium compound and with a orange ccs pad should remove some light to medium swirls. Finish up with a white ccs pad and your finishing glaze. Have fun, step back and admire your work.

Thanks, I'll just give the TSR (yet another acronym on this site! I've never seen a site with so many acronyms!). I had to research before I realized that TSR was the WG Swirl Remover that I ALREADY HAVE and mentioned in my post! I'm just getting used to WGDGPS, AIO, WOWO, LSP ... Holy moly!

Thanks again, I'll give the TSR, FG with CCS a try first. (Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze)

AJ

MattPersman
03-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Try the Meguires DA microfiber system. It works very well with the Porter Cable.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

custmsprty
03-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks, I'll just give the TSR (yet another acronym on this site! I've never seen a site with so many acronyms!). I had to research before I realized that TSR was the WG Swirl Remover that I ALREADY HAVE and mentioned in my post! I'm just getting used to WGDGPS, AIO, WOWO, LSP ... Holy moly!

Thanks again, I'll give the TSR, FG with CCS a try first. (Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze)

AJ

Those are both solid polishes and you should be able to accomplish an excellent finish with them. Also, keep in mind, you can always go to a more aggressive pad before jumping to a more aggressive product. Your goal should be to master the different pads and their aggressiveness with each of the products you have. And remember to always do a test spot first.

This write up I did is a good example of test spots, pad combos and machine combos. I tried a couple products in the same manufacturers family of products during the whole test phase before I found what worked best and then I went on to doing the rest of the vehicle.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/98953-2014-nissan-370-z-griots-g21-hd-adapt-7-hd-poxy.html

Wolfgang Uber would be your next step to a more aggressive polish. IMHO I would stay within the family of polishes you already have and learn to master them. Uber is an amazing product.