PDA

View Full Version : Daily driver detailing help

hoodooman
03-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have an 07 Mustang GT in windveil blue that I just LOVE. It's my DD and has been repainted at some point during its life. As I bought it used, I'm not sure how old the BC/CC paint job is. I need some recommendations that hopefully can go mostly along with materials I already have in the garage, and comments on my planned procedure. I know this will take all day to do properly, but I also don't want to include several additional steps that would be most beneficial to a show car - after all this is my DD. The car already looks very good. It does have some fine swirls but I'm not TOO concerned about them. Again regarding the repaint, I'm not sure how old it is or if the paint is "soft" or not.

Here is my plan:

*The entire car needs clayed ( I did the baggie test, and even without the baggie it feels rough)
- After a thorough wash/dry using grit guards/two bucket method, I'll be using griots garage clay and griots detailer as lube
- re-wash after claying is finished

*I will use a DA machine polisher with a foam pad to polish with Meguiars Ultimate polish

*I will apply a coat (or two) of Meguiars M20 synthetic paint sealant and let it cure for several hours after removing (apply by hand or by machine - which is best?)

* Apply 2 coats Griots Garage carnauba liquid wax
- I enjoy applying carnauba wax multiple times per year and also the deep luster that it brings

Again I am attempting to not spend a lot by using what I already have. But that does not mean I won't purchase additional materials if they are suggested.

These are materials I currently have on hand - are they sufficient?
I want my polishing step to be a simple one-step process, is Ultimate polish a good choice?
Any additional recommendations or thoughts?

I appreciate the help everyone. I'm a newb but I've been experimenting with products for years without proper technique. I was raised in a house where my dad just slapped some turtle wax on once a year!

Thank you! :xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
03-22-2017, 01:25 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum.
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have an 07 Mustang GT in windveil blue that I just LOVE. It's my DD and has been repainted at some point during its life. As I bought it used, I'm not sure how old the BC/CC paint job is. I need some recommendations that hopefully can go mostly along with materials I already have in the garage, and comments on my planned procedure. I know this will take all day to do properly, but I also don't want to include several additional steps that would be most beneficial to a show car - after all this is my DD.

Here is my plan:

*The entire car needs clayed ( I did the baggie test, and even without the baggie it feels rough)
- After a thorough wash/dry, I'll be using griots garage clay and griots detailer as lube
- re-wash after claying is finishedNot necessary as you will be polishing.

*I will use a DA machine polisher with a foam pad to polish with Meguiars Ultimate polishGet some Ultimate compound incase you need more cut and then finish with Ultimate Polish.

*I will apply a coat (or two) of Meguiars M20 synthetic paint sealant and let it cure for several hours after removing (apply by hand or by machine - which is best?)Either or.

* Apply 2 coats Griots Garage carnauba liquid wax

Again I am attempting to not spend a lot by using what I already have. But that does not mean I won't purchase additional materials if they are suggested.

These are materials I currently have on hand - are they sufficient? Yes, but the next time around find a more durable LSP like Collinite or FK1000.
I want my polishing step to be a simple one-step process, is Ultimate polish a good choice? Like mentioned above, get some Ultimate Compound, but do a test spot with UP and see if that works.
Any additional recommendations or thoughts? Have fun and you don't need to do the whole car in a day. Nothing wrong in doing sections at a time.

I appreciate the help everyone. I'm a newb but I've been experimenting with products for years without proper technique. I was raised in a house where my dad just slapped some turtle wax on once a year!

Thank you! :xyxthumbs::buffing:

Detailsbydaniel
03-22-2017, 02:02 PM
I would skip the washing post clay, just wipe as you go it will be fine.

Make sure you have plenty of pads to swap out with as well. And it might not hurt to get a compound if the polish isn't giving results you want.

Do a test spot one day on a panel see if it gets where you want it, if you want more than I wouldn't put any time into just the polish for now. Save up and get a solid compound and do the job once

hoodooman
03-22-2017, 02:48 PM
I also have Meguiars Ultimate Compound - would it be advisable to do a two step compound/polish before the sealant?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

vobro
03-22-2017, 02:57 PM
I also have Meguiars Ultimate Compound - would it be advisable to do a two step compound/polish before the sealant?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
You have to do a test spot to see the results you get, if the least aggressive approach doesn't live up to your goal then step up to the UC. Also if only certain body panels were repainted then they may respond differently to the factory paint.

hoodooman
03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Thanks, I'll try the conservative approach first with the Polish.

hoodooman
03-22-2017, 03:33 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum.:buffing:

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated!

Paul A.
03-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Another big "WELCOME"! You mentioned that it had a repaint and you weren't aware of how soft or hard the paint will be to work. Look for hints as you clay it. As already mentioned, stay safe and go least aggressive with your test spots. Do you have some different pads to step up the aggression? I also don't do another full wash after I clay but do flood soak off before drying.

Ceerokz
03-22-2017, 05:44 PM
How's the clear coat on the new paint?
Preparation and cleaning is key when polishing. Just take your time and work slow.
Make sure you have a spray bottle or water and another bottle of IPA and lots of clean mf towels.
Use clean pads on each panel...

vanev
03-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Every vehicle needs at least on complete detail in the course of its lifespan.
If you are doing this yourself, then always work within your knowledge and skill level.

In regards to added steps that bring show car steps.
Show cars typically take around 100 + hours and countless steps of detailing to prepare the car for show.
While your detail will not need such attention, it is common to to spend anywhere from 10 hours to 30 hours for a basic detail on a vehicle.
How much time you put into it is your choice.
The more time you invest in your initial detail, the less time maintenance washes and details will take.

If you are going to detail your vehicle, my suggestion is to reserve two days in a row to do it right.
Interior and exterior decontamination and cleaning on day one, paint correction and waxing on day two.

In regards to cleaning, washing a vehicle does very little to actually clean it.
You will win the game in the decontamination process.
It takes more than just a clay bar application.
De-bug, de-tar, de-grease, remove iron fall out, final wash, and finish with a clay bar application.

In regards to paint correction, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Not all paint and clear coat will take to the pad and product you are using.
Hopefully, your attempt will turn out well on first try.

Pads:
I suggest Meguiars Foam Pads (Yellow, Maroon, and Black).
These are the best all purpose pads that I have used, and genuinely yield good results on about anything.

Product:
Meguiars Ultimate Polish is a great choice.
Honestly, I would go ahead and get the complete combo and apply all three steps:
Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Liquid Wax.
You can tell by my Avatar, I am a fan of this combo.

hoodooman
03-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Every vehicle needs at least on complete detail in the course of its lifespan.
If you are doing this yourself, then always work within your knowledge and skill level.

In regards to added steps that bring show car steps.
Show cars typically take around 100 + hours and countless steps of detailing to prepare the car for show.
While your detail will not need such attention, it is common to to spend anywhere from 10 hours to 30 hours for a basic detail on a vehicle.
How much time you put into it is your choice.
The more time you invest in your initial detail, the less time maintenance washes and details will take.

If you are going to detail your vehicle, my suggestion is to reserve two days in a row to do it right.
Interior and exterior decontamination and cleaning on day one, paint correction and waxing on day two.

In regards to cleaning, washing a vehicle does very little to actually clean it.
You will win the game in the decontamination process.
It takes more than just a clay bar application.
De-bug, de-tar, de-grease, remove iron fall out, final wash, and finish with a clay bar application.

In regards to paint correction, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Not all paint and clear coat will take to the pad and product you are using.
Hopefully, your attempt will turn out well on first try.

Pads:
I suggest Meguiars Foam Pads (Yellow, Maroon, and Black).
These are the best all purpose pads that I have used, and genuinely yield good results on about anything.

Product:
Meguiars Ultimate Polish is a great choice.
Honestly, I would go ahead and get the complete combo and apply all three steps:
Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Liquid Wax.
You can tell by my Avatar, I am a fan of this combo.

Thank you! I've been a Meguiars guy for a long time, and usually use the ultimate wax topped with the gold glass carnauba. Each year my first coat is the M20 polymer sealant. I love the deep reflections and ease of use with Meguiars stuff. I spend a couple hours every weekend washing my mustang and keeping the interior clean. The leather gets conditioned on a regular basis and I only use water-based Griots garage vinyl and rubber dressing on the dash etc. The carpet gets foamed in areas that need it. The car really looks immaculate inside and out. The reason I'm wanting to do a full paint detail is because I can feel the surface contaminants even though it looks great. As I mentioned there are some light swirls and whatnot, but it is a driver.

I have to admit I am a a bit worried about claying/polishing this ride. As I said I love this car and would hate to marr the finish. I clayed my first two cars (ever) last summer and they turned out well but were factory paint jobs, not repaints. I followed those two cars up with the ultimate polish as well, then ultimate liquid wax and gold glass carnauba.

My wife bought me some additional Griots products for xmas, hence why I'm trying their wax this time around after my M20 sealant. Plus I just enjoy spending the afternoon waxing.

This car really has no bug guts on it because they get removed immediately usually with a heavy application of spray wax and a microfiber.

Thank you for the help. I'm starting to slowly learn the fundamentals and proper techniques.

How often do I need to change the polishing pad while polishing?