PDA

View Full Version : Having a business solely based on youtube training

hawaiidetailing
03-20-2017, 12:48 AM
To all you professionals and business owners. What do you think about starting and running a business where all of your training comes from watching YouTube videos and reading articles on autogeek website? I have heard about companies doing this but don't know how I feel about the success or quality of work output could come from a business that doesn't learn hands on or through physical training.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Mike Honcho
03-20-2017, 03:46 AM
Go get surgery from someone who has only had YouTube training. Lemme know how that works out. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

oldmodman
03-20-2017, 05:52 AM
I have been watching all the Dr. Pol episodes.

I now know how to birth a calf and cure milk bloat.

GSKR
03-20-2017, 06:23 AM
To all you professionals and business owners. What do you think about starting and running a business where all of your training comes from watching YouTube videos and reading articles on autogeek website? I have heard about companies doing this but don't know how I feel about the success or quality of work output could come from a business that doesn't learn hands on or through physical training.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Get Mike Phillips book or attend the classes the offer.There are so many incorrect ways of detailing on utube like using peanut butter for plastic or motor oil for tires stray from that and get to the source Mike Phillips learning material.

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Go get surgery from someone who has only had YouTube training. Lemme know how that works out. ;

Well, we aren't surgeons so....

It's what a lot of people do, but you have to have some way of practicing what it is you're learning. Do your own cars and family and friends first to get a feel for what you're doing and once you build some skills and confidence then there's nothing wrong for charging legitimate money for your services.

Mike@ShineStruck
03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
That's how i've started!
watched allot of Mike Phillips videos, along with AmmoNYC, and Auto fetish Detail.. I then commenced to take what ive learned/watched to perform work on my vehicles along with fams/friends vehicles......I eventually took Mikes Competition Ready Seminar anyways as theirs always more to learn!
Even after I strive to learn from others or simply naturally revise my technique on my own,,repetition eventually leads to better optimization.

PaulMys
03-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Go get surgery from someone who has only had YouTube training. Lemme know how that works out. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Lmao!

Well, we aren't surgeons so....

It's what a lot of people do, but you have to have some way of practicing what it is you're learning. Do your own cars and family and friends first to get a feel for what you're doing and once you build some skills and confidence then there's nothing wrong for charging legitimate money for your services.

Exactly. You can watch video all you want, and actually that is good. But, there is NO substitute for hands-on.
AG and Mike P's videos are the RIGHT way to do things. But in the end, it's up to you to master the techniques.

Mike Phillips
03-22-2017, 07:05 AM
To all you professionals and business owners.

What do you think about starting and running a business where all of your training comes from watching YouTube videos

Is your idea to charge money to watch the videos?

Or make money via advertising if you can get your viewership up to a high enough volume?

I'm trying to figure out the "business" side?

and reading articles on autogeek website?

You mentioned starting and running a business where all the training comes from YouTube videos and articles here on AGO, of which I write a lot of them...

Question: Where's the business angle?

How do you make money?

Best of luck to you, I always admire entrepreneurs.

:dblthumb2:

Paul A.
03-22-2017, 11:31 AM
If the business is charging money to detail customer vehicles, nothing teaches you more than actually doing it i.e. practicing the techniques gleaned from researching or gaining the "training" of proper methods. What you have described is somewhat what i have done and still do. The key is being a good student. Carefully and intensely studying what you are doing yourself with the information you've read, listened to and watched on videos. Understanding the physical principles and learning the science and mechanics of the actions is, to me, what is most important. Read, listen to and watch those concepts and techniques and then put the tools in your own hands and practice, practice, practice! then carefully studying and scrutinizing what you just did. Either you did it right or wrong. If the latter, figure out why.

I supect a lot, if not most, of us here learned the same way you are. I am sure the best...and I mean the BEST...method of training is Mike's CR Course but i can't really swing that cost myself. The only other way is to teach myself and I will humbly say, without any implied conceit, I have developped the skill to give my customers incredible value through my services.

Another valuable aspect is to get involved. Immerse yourself in this business with personal contact with others that do it. I have met with others both in my area and outside and discuss, do, see etc. There are other successful perspectives from others that can enhance your mind and widen your knowledge base. Personnally interacting is different than reading something or viewing something online.

Then KEEP LEARNING! This remains a very progressive pursuit of knowledge. There are always new things to learn but for the time being you can make money doing it with self training and proving to both yourself and your customers you know enough about it to make some money.

I did.

Octopiston
03-22-2017, 12:41 PM
I have been watching all the Dr. Pol episodes.

I now know how to birth a calf and cure milk bloat.

You may laugh, but that is where I learned about botfly larvae and used that info to remove a small one from one of my dogs.

No, I wouldn't use that info source to perform major surgery inspite of my dissection and butchering experience, but running a buffer isn't surgery. Even doctors start their learning in books and by watching. There is no reason someone with even basic mental capacities can't get the basic understandings of detailing cars from videos and go use those techniques and perfect them for themselves. People are successufully doing cam swaps from info from forum threads and online videos, so why not detail?