PDA

View Full Version : Finally got an Orbital Polisher, but hesitant due to recent sealant application

midwestPT
03-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Hey all!
Just got into detailing over the past eight or nine months and feel like I have found a great hobby for some "zen" time.

I have had scratches on my car as it came from the factory like that since picking it up last May, and I never had an orbital polisher to help me get the scratches out. I had just done detail work by hand, and though it looked great, it just sucks to see it from certain angles in the sunlight.

I've watched a great deal of videos, and finally pulled the trigger on a Swirl Killer orbital polisher from Adams Polishes due to a great deal and timing finance wise (tax season).

I bought the advanced kit, which has a medium and heavy cutting compound, as well as a finishing polish. As eager as I am to use this tomorrow since I'll have some nice weather, I'm a bit hesitant to do so because I had re-applied CG Jetseal after a full wash and clay three to four weeks ago. Prior to that I had applied a sealant as well as a polish and wax by hand sometime in September just prior to the Chicago winter.

At this time, if I wanted to get rid of the swirls with a cutting compound, I should really strip the sealant first, right? As in: Wash, use a product to strip sealant and wax, clay, remove swirls, polish, re-apply sealant (?), wax, apply a final glazing product?

And if those steps are good to go, what products are easy to get at an O'Reillys or autoparts store that could help me strip the sealant?

Finally, I have two orange foam pads, two microfiber pads, and a blue cutting pad. If I wanted to apply a wax, would it be fine to use one of the lighter pads (orange) to do so after cleaning it from the compound?

Thanks!

vobro
03-18-2017, 06:59 PM
I would just polish it as it will remove the sealant.

midwestPT
03-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Will do, thanks for your input! I'll apply the sealant by hand just to be safe.

dennis hiip
03-18-2017, 07:29 PM
As a general rule, use the least abrasive to get the job done. BTW, your polisher is a DA.

midwestPT
03-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Will do, and duly noted! Thanks

vobro
03-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Will do, thanks for your input! I'll apply the sealant by hand just to be safe.

What do you mean "safe"?

midwestPT
03-18-2017, 08:12 PM
"Finally, I have two orange foam pads, two microfiber pads, and a blue cutting pad. If I wanted to apply a wax, would it be fine to use one of the lighter pads (orange) to do so after cleaning it from the compound?

Thanks!"

Thought I'd just resume using hand application for the wax, since nobody's addressed this question yet from my original post. Meant to clarify if using an orange pad meant for light cutting could technically be re-used (once cleaned) for application of a sealant and/or wax. Don't currently have a dedicated pad for wax.

dlc95
03-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Sounds good, but I'd consider getting a dedicated pad for sealant application.

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on removing the sealant if you need to correct the paint.

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Just wash / clay / go to compound. The compound will remove whatever sealant is on there.

Consider shopping for whatever you need right here at Autogeek since they sponsor this excellent forum free of charge for people like us, have an excellent selection of premium products and will price match anybody. :buffing:

Killerheroin
03-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Just wash, clay, IPA wipe then compound then IPA wipe polish then IPA wipe and seal then wax

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)