PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Chemical Guys tire and trim gel?

Venomv8
03-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Hey, I recently tried some new trim and tire products trying to find which one I liked best. The one I used this previous weekend was Chemical guys tire and trim gel. I would like to know if anyone else has had the issue Im having and trying to figure out if Im using it incorrectly. SO far my opinion on it is that I love the look after applied and feel it makes the tires and trim look great (one of my favorites so far). It definitely goes on thick and can be tough to get into all the nooks and crannies of the tire letters etc. Heres the issue that Im seeing with it though. I applied it with one coat, let it sit as I worked my way around car, then when whole car was done went back and wiped any excess away on the trim. However I applied this last sunday night in the garage, monday just so happened to end up raining for about an hour before being clear the rest of the day. When I walked out to my car after sitting through the short rain, I noticed a oily residue that had ran all down my windows from the above trim. It was the trim gel that had ran down and made the windows look like absolute crap. I don't feel I put it on very thick at all and like I said even wiped away the excess. Im wondering do I need to let t cure? Does it have to be applied in a certain temperauture? It was probably 45-50 degrees in my garage the night I applied it. If anyone has any ideas Im willing to try whatever! Thanks

Eldorado2k
03-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Yea that's usually an issue with alot of trim products aka dressings. Another problem with alot of them is that they attract dirt like crazy [apply some to your windshield cowl or rear bumper plastic trim and check out your mitt next time you're washing your car and happen to go over that area]

Hyper Dressing, Ultimate Black Gel, and I l'd guess many many more suffer from the same issue... That's why I coat my trim. Doesn't attract dust, instead it stays clean and dry, and never runs down anywhere because it doesn't come off very easily even with a dedicated cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZpolisher15
03-18-2017, 01:02 AM
I don't seem to have that problem with Duragloss 253 Tire and Rubber Dressing. It's long been one of my favorites. Super easy to apply, gives tires a nice "new" look, and darkens trim nicely. If it doesn't get wet, it'll last weeks. It will make it through a couple brief rains, but not extended episodes of precip. It also doesn't attract or hold dust and just takes a few minutes to dry. It's a winner.

Setec Astronomy
03-18-2017, 06:10 AM
That's the clear silicone oil? You're going to need to do more than just "wipe" that, you need to really buff it dry if you want to keep it from streaking.

Venomv8
03-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, Ill definitely give those a look, like I said Im trying to find the one I like best.

Setec- Ill try that next time I apply, we don't have good weather coming up so I wont be thoroughly washing for probably the next week. Ill update and see if that works any better!

briarpatch
03-18-2017, 01:53 PM
I use Chemical Guys VRP for tires, and it's water based. Every time I've tried using it on trim, it ends up running. I've not had an issue with it slinging off of tires, but have switched to Blackfire Total Tire and Trim for moldings/trim.

Venomv8
03-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Ive also tried the VRP and didn't care for it, however it did ok on interior trim!

Trip
03-22-2017, 12:23 AM
I have used it on my tires and weather tech floor mats. Looks great but if your shoes are wet you will take a spill. Lasted quite some time on the mats and tires though.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

KirkH
03-22-2017, 08:50 AM
It is oil based so you really have to work it in so it doesn't sling.

For water based, I like Wolfgang Vinyl & Rubber Protectant.