PDA

View Full Version : Longevity /Dressing

Pages : [1] 2

DogRescuer
03-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Who agrees with what I have experienced?

In my very limited experience with properly cleaning and dressing tires I have learned the following.

Longevity of dressing is directly affected by proper care of the rubber in the past or before you got to them. Another words if the rubber was NOT properly taken care of, then the longevity will suffer, IMO.

Any opinions?

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Any opinions?

No.

Well, actually....

Several times recently I have started a thread about tire browning/dressing...and not finished it, as an adjunct to some earlier threads about it I have here and on the other forum.

I think this subject is hugely complicated, and has to do with the type/brand/model of tire, the age of the tire, what kind of dressings are being/have been used, and what kind of cleaner are being/have been used. I haven't come to any final conclusions, but I think milder cleaners is part of the solution.

Desertnate
03-16-2017, 08:50 AM
<snip>

I think this subject is hugely complicated, and has to do with the type/brand/model of tire, the age of the tire, what kind of dressings are being/have been used, and what kind of cleaner are being/have been used. I haven't come to any final conclusions, but I think milder cleaners is part of the solution.

This is spot on from my experience.

Rubber compounds make a HUGE difference.

Case in point. I have three cars in my personal fleet. They all live through roughly the same conditions and I perform the exact same maintenance on them with the exact same products. Each vehicle had tires from a different brand and I saw widely different results when it came to the effectiveness of the product. To go a step further, I replaced my tires on one of my vehicles to be the same brand as one of the other vehicles, just a different model. That tire too had totally different results. Just looking at the sidewalls I can see there is something different in the tire mold and the texture of the rubber.

FUNX650
03-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Longevity of dressing is directly
affected by

proper care of the rubber
in the past or before you
got to them.

Another words if the rubber
was NOT properly taken care of,
then the longevity will suffer, IMO.

Any opinions?
Depends.

How do you define proper
care of rubber (tires)?

•I'll start:
-Does being correctly inflated,
aligned; not being overloaded,
or curb rashed; and, staying
road hazard free...count as
proper care of rubber (tires)?

Bob

Paul A.
03-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Tire sidewall cleaning and dressing remains one of the most frustrating things for me. Unlike paint where you can machine down a bit to get to a base, clean, raw surface, tires and their history of care, cleaning and maintenance are more difficult to get to a point that you know are clear of any residuals. All I do is to make sure I have exhausted all efforts to get to virgin rubber before dressing. I do agree with your point, Steve.

Now, as the owner of a vehicle, proper care of inflation, curb rash, etc falls under the "safety" category and I don't consider those as tire dressing "prolongers". With that said, I can't control customer care.

Mike Moore
03-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Well, actually....

Several times recently I have started a thread about tire browning/dressing...and not finished it, as an adjunct to some earlier threads about it I have here and on the other forum.

Can you delete a few old PM's from your mailbox?
I'd like to send you a PM and your PM quote is full.

Mike Honcho
03-16-2017, 03:42 PM
No.

Well, actually....

+1,000,000

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Tasmania
03-17-2017, 12:24 AM
cheap tyres go brown, Expensive tyres stay black. =)

MattPersman
03-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Just oxidation exposure to the air that makes the brown from the additive in the tires while you are driving. It's gets leeched out. It has nothing to do with cheap or expensive tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogRescuer
03-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Thanks to all. I never mentioned "browning " but somehow we swuuuung that way. I was speaking more of a tire being destroyed by the sun for a long time before ever being protected. The tire at first will in a way will soak up a dressing just like abused dry skin, thus making it seem as though the dressing is not lasting.

Desertnate
03-17-2017, 07:48 AM
Just oxidation exposure to the air that makes the brown from the additive in the tires while you are driving. It's gets leeched out. It has nothing to do with cheap or expensive tire.

I've also seen some tire products cause or accelerate the browning. For a time I used Meguiars Hot Tire Shine Tire Foam on all of our tires. I after a week or two when the product had worn off I noticed the tires turning a red/brown color. I thought it was blooming and just kept cleaning and dressing the tires. A while later I switched to Duragloss 253 and the browning stopped and never came back.

DogRescuer
03-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Nice

Mantilgh
03-17-2017, 06:01 PM
I've noticed on one vehicle that the sun was causing browning.

The guy works from home and the car says parked in his driveway most of the time. One side of the car to the south.

I had a ton of brown on the south side and the northern side produced only white foam when scrubbed.

Tasmania
03-17-2017, 10:24 PM

I disagree tyres are made up of oils and just like the exterior rubber trim on cars that go brown
so does the tyre.

I have found that cheaper tyres dont hold this blackness so well. =)

Eldorado2k
03-17-2017, 10:30 PM
and just like the exterior rubber trim on cars that go brown

I believe that brown you see is called, dirt. Lol.
But seriously, I thought rubber trim turned more of a gray than brown?