PDA

View Full Version : Sand removal?

ALLN1WASH
03-15-2017, 10:22 PM
How's it going AGO? I'm looking for some advice on removing heavy sand deposits from carpets and floor mats. I literally spent 2.5 hours today on vacuuming alone and another 30 minutes working with the air compressor and still wasn't able to remove more than 85/90% of the sand. This was a GMC Acadia with black carpets and each time I'd finish one section and move on, 10 minutes later I'd look back and still see remnants in the previous section. How are y'all tackling these jobs involving sand? Any/all advice is appreciated. Help me out...

Smitty4x4
03-15-2017, 11:09 PM
You might think this is crazy but it works for me. I use a vibrating palm sander with no sandpaper on it. I place it on the carpet with the vacuum nozzle right next to it. You'll see the sand levitate out of the carpet. I noticed this effect in vehicle with large subwoofers in it. Im sure the experienced pros will probably have much better techniques and tool suggestions but this works in a pinch if you have a way to make the vibrations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Don M
03-16-2017, 06:34 AM
I'm going to have the same problem in a few months, the sand bag weights I put in my trunk cracked open and my trunk floor now looks like the beach.

KirkH
03-16-2017, 08:09 AM
A pet hair stone can help bring sand grains up to the surface. Discovered this by accident.

oldmodman
03-16-2017, 06:34 PM
I used a method very similar to the sander method but I went a bit further.

I removed the carpet from the car. I unbolted my steel fence gate door and put it on two sawhorses and laid the carpet top side down on it. Then took a big orbital sander without sandpaper and went over it again and again until no more sand fell out onto the ground. Probably spent more than 30 minutes vibrating it. Then I used my RugDoctor on it while it was lying in the driveway. It was absolutely clean, no more sand at all.

detailsbydennis
03-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Acadia has the worst carpets. We use a hammer to tap the sand out. I like the idea of a sander.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)