PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Pads

atgonzales
03-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Hello All,

I know with foam pads you should rotate pads out while using them, does this still need to be done with microfiber pads as well

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Mike Phillips
03-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Yes but not for the same reason.

Foam pads become saturated because they become we with the liquid portions of the products you use.

Because "most" microfiber pads do not have a thick foam backing, and the backing they do have is dense and for this reason does not absorb liquids as readily as normal foam buffing pads, for these reason microfiber pads do NOT become saturated with liquids. So you don't need to change them out as often for this reason.

I've said this for years in the forum world and it goes like this...

The oscillating action of a dual action polisher is violent. Add

Time
Pressure
Chemicals
Heat

Add these things to the violent action of the oscillating action of an orbital polisher and the totality of these things can and will take their toll on the adhesive that holds the sandwiched combination of velcro/foam intercore/microfiber face together and as the saying goes...

Sooner or later something has to give

Adhesive technology has come a LONG way since the early days of buffing pad history so for this reason we all benefit via longer pad life. But "yes" your microfiber pads will last longer over time if you switch them out often instead of punishing them by trying to compound or polish an entire car with a pad or two.

Does that make sense?

:)

atgonzales
03-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Mike

You have in the past recommended 5 pads for compound and 4 for polish, what is your recommendation for microfiber pads?

Mike Phillips
03-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Mike

You have in the past recommended 5 pads for compound and 4 for polish, what is your recommendation for microfiber pads?

That's a good mix. The compounding pads take the most punishment.

In a perfect world, you would use one pad per panel for the compounding step assuming the paint is in need of major correction. The better the condition the paint the more area you can compound and still maintain efficient defect removal.

Microfiber is a very different animal compared to foam because the fibers themselves are a form of abrasive. This is also why you will tend to get micro-marring when you try to FINISH wit a microfiber pad on softer paint systems.

This article here was written with foam pads in mind and when using orbital polishers.

How many pads do I need to buff out my car? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html)

I'm not a huge microfiber pad user as it simply doesn't fit my style of work. If I need to cut heavy and fast I use a wool pad on a rotary or a wool pad on the FLEX 3401.

Remember - the microfiber pad was taken from the OEM and introduced to the car detailing world by Meguiar's as a way to move the "production industry" away from rotary buffers and switch them over to much weaker dual action polishers. To make up for the lack of brute power provided by a rotary buffer FIBER pads were tailored to work with both oscillating action and specific abrasive formulas.

Meguiar's did a GREAT job with their attempt to change the industry and Jason Rose and his old team at Meguiar's should get the credit for this accomplishment. Their efforts paved the way for microfiber pads to be introduced by other companies and that's kind of where we're at now... lots of microfiber pad options on the market.

The key to using microfiber pads can be whittled down to two MAJOR factors.

1: Clean you pad often. This is vitally important as it 100% completely affects the performance of the entire buffing action - that is pad/product/tool/technique

2: Use GREAT abrasive technology. You can't get great results using mediocre products.

When using a fiber pad - the use of GREAT abrasive technology is even more important. I'm always surprised by how many guys think it's all about them and their technique as it relates to getting great results when it's really about the abrasive technology.

Currently in my poll, 58% of the people that answer the poll think it's them and their technique.

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/98943-poll-what-s-number-one-most-important-factor-when-comes-polishing-paint.html)

Yet I show people, kids, girls, senior citizens and people of all ages in-between, that have NEVER used any machine to buff out paint and yet their very first time they get perfect results. Results that are just as good as the 58% that say it's all about "their" technique.

:laughing:

atgonzales
03-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Thank you, Mike

Joel1979
03-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Microfiber pads kicks butt! Rupes 15-21 with mf beats rotary and heavy cutting foam pad. They are on par with foam pads but most agressive is rotary+wool, however i would guess that those xtra cut mf discs and griots fast cutting mf will come very close to rotary and wool.

david b
03-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Great thread. Mike, what's the best way to clean MF pads during the compounding step? I don't have a compressor so can't use compressed air. Can I 'clean on the fly' like I would with foam pads? Any feedback you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

david b
03-24-2017, 12:57 PM
bump

Joel1979
03-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Best way is to brush them with good pad brush. Set your polisher to low rpm and put the brush against pad and turn the machine one. Remember to keep some pressure, so that the orbital movement wont break the pad. Or you can just brush it manually.

How good are Carpro microfiber pads? I dont have too many options for 3" mf pads and Carpro is one one of them. Anybody have any experience with them? Im also going to cut my own 3" from 6" Megs.