PDA

View Full Version : New to this, detailing a van in WI

Sportsman200
03-13-2017, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone, it's good to be here.

I've been reading up on all things detailing so I can plan out my big project.

Last fall I purchased what is sort of my "unicorn"... which happens to be a van. I've owned several, older, newer, mostly worn out junk. Not this one though not at all. 1977 Dodge B200 Royal Sportsman, two tone blue window van, factory tint, A/C, cruise control, 66k miles, 400ci big block. I'm the second or third owner and it has been garage kept for the majority of its life. To me it's going to be the perfect weekend cruiser, canoe hauler, party bus, oddball muscle car, and even come July, wedding transportaion..

Spring hasn't yet decided to come to northern WI, but I hope to be ready to get the van out of the garage, to the auto shop for a tune up, and ready to cruise. It sat for 10 years in a garage before I bought it all I've done is hose it off and driven around a little. I'm looking to clay bar the van and let it soak in meguiar's #7 for awhile. I haven't decided yet what other products to use to best bring back the paint. I don't have any machine polishers and honestly I wouldn't be confident enough to use one on this at this time.

So what I hope to learn from the forum in the sort term,

1. After clay and #7 how can I best shine and protect the single stage paint by hand?
(Knowing that I might come back later when I know more, have more time/money to invest. Right now it's a push to get it clean and protected so I can send it out for a tune up.)

2.Tips for working around lots of trim pieces, and cleaning up the metalwork?
(Royal Sportsmans sport plenty of trim)

3. General tips for old cars that need some extra love? This van looks good but the paint is far from flawless rockchips, scratches, dings, the sort of character one gets from many family vacations. Not so worried about scratches or dents as much as rust stains and preventing any rust or further paint damage.

Hopefully I'll figure out pictures soon. I'm glad I found the forum I feel like I've learned quite a bit already. I hope to apply it to the van and cars I get down the road.

Mike Phillips
03-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Hi Sportsman200

Just to note...

You'll get better answers and more help if you start a DEDICATED thread for a detailing project.

When it comes to posting a "introduction thread", just do that. Introduce yourself.

That's kind of how forums work.

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/29344-tip-help-yourself-get-great-answers-when-you-start-thread.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
03-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Since this thread is already in the "Introduction forum group" - I'll take a stab at some of your questions...

Last fall I purchased what is sort of my "unicorn"... which happens to be a van. I've owned several, older, newer, mostly worn out junk. Not this one though not at all. 1977 Dodge B200 Royal Sportsman, two tone blue window van, factory tint, A/C, cruise control, 66k miles, 400ci big block. I'm the second or third owner and it has been garage kept for the majority of its life. To me it's going to be the perfect weekend cruiser, canoe hauler, party bus, oddball muscle car, and even come July, wedding transportaion..

Spring hasn't yet decided to come to northern WI, but I hope to be ready to get the van out of the garage, to the auto shop for a tune up, and ready to cruise. It sat for 10 years in a garage before I bought it all I've done is hose it off and driven around a little. I'm looking to clay bar the van and let it soak in meguiar's #7 for awhile. I haven't decided yet what other products to use to best bring back the paint. I don't have any machine polishers and honestly I wouldn't be confident enough to use one on this at this time.

1. After clay and #7 how can I best shine and protect the single stage paint by hand?

First - The #7 rub down technique is for restoring antique and original paint that is CHALKY and oxidized. Is that the current condition of the paint?

At least that's how it's normally used. If the paint is NOT chalky and oxidized but it's IMPORTANT to you to do everything you can to preserve the original paint, then "yes" go ahead and after washing the Van, rub the paint down with the #7.

It could be after a thorough rubbing of the paint with the #7 it will look great and you can go straight to wax. If the paint still looks like it needs some attention and you're going to work by hand, I'd suggest using a one-step cleaner/wax so you can clean, polish and protect the paint in one-step. That is you doing all that work by hand and only going around the VAn one time.

I'd look at any quality one-step cleaner/wax. These are good and can be used by hand or machine.

HD Speed
McKee's 360
SONAX Paint Cleaner

Using a one-step cleaner/wax, apply some to a piece of terry cloth or microfiber and work these tight areas with a finger or two.

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html)

Any quality metal polish will clean up shiny metal surfaces. When I buff out classes I simply run the buffer ofer these surfaces with WHATEVER product I'm using for the first step for the paint correction.

See step 7 I shared in this article

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/58359-how-use-one-step-cleaner-wax-maximize-profits.html)

3. General tips for old cars that need some extra love? This van looks good but the paint is far from flawless rock chips, scratches, dings, the sort of character one gets from many family vacations. Not so worried about scratches or dents as much as rust stains and preventing any rust or further paint damage.

I teach what I call Big Picture Detailing in my Competition Ready Detailing Classes (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-boot-camp.html). This means, focus on the major panels and the major portion of the major panels. Going after the tiny bit of paint next to a piece of trim is great but very time consuming and most people are only going to see the big picture, i.e. they're going to look at the hood and in the case of a van, the sides.

I'd highly recommend getting a simple or entry level dual action polisher. They're very safe and do much much better work than the human hand. Check out this article,

Machine polishing paint - It's not that hard and with modern dual action polishers it's real safe! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/55512-machine-polishing-paint-its-not-hard-modern-dual-action-polishers-its-real-safe.html)

As for rock chips, see my article here,

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html)

Hopefully I'll figure out pictures soon. I'm glad I found the forum I feel like I've learned quite a bit already. I hope to apply it to the van and cars I get down the road.

Van you say? Check out this Van we detailed here...

1985 GMC Rally Van - Extreme Makeover! With McKee's 37 - FLEX- RUPES - BOSS (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-thursday-night-projects/98930-1985-gmc-rally-van-extreme-makeover-mckee-s-37-flex-rupes-boss.html)

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/580/McKees_Van_Makeover_055.jpg

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

grambow
03-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone, it's good to be here.

I've been reading up on all things detailing so I can plan out my big project.

(Knowing that I might come back later when I know more, have more time/money to invest. Right now it's a push to get it clean and protected so I can send it out for a tune up.)

(Royal Sportsmans sport plenty of trim)

3. General tips for old cars that need some extra love? This van looks good but the paint is far from flawless rockchips, scratches, dings, the sort of character one gets from many family vacations. Not so worried about scratches or dents as much as rust stains and preventing any rust or further paint damage.

Welcome! Where are you at in Northern WI? I am near Appleton and I'm chomping at the bit for Spring to finally come!

Sportsman200
03-14-2017, 03:49 PM
I feel like I got scolded on the first day of school. I meant to get a few questions posted in different areas, but got distracted by a lot of good information. Dedicated threads for questions, and in their proper places from here on out though.

:iagree:

Mike.

But really Mike wow! That's a lot of great information, I really apreciate you taking the time to do that. Preseving the paint on my van is definitely why I'm here it isn't super chalky, but it's rough around the edges with scratches and things like that. I know If I'm not deliberately on the defense with the paint it'll pass the point of no return in one way or another.

Thanks again now I really have some thing to go off of.

In keeping with the topic of this thread, I'll share a little more about myself. In a few weeks I will be turning 28. I'm engaged to be married in July. I work for a company that bends tubing of all sorts, I mostly bend hydraulic lines. I also work on a farm part time. Oh and I bought my first house in December. Three car garage woohoo! Two and a half insulated workshop and one stall will he hers.

Grambow-

Wausau, WI is now my home. And spring can't come soon enough.

AZ Mike
03-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Welcome to Autogeek.

Sportsman200
03-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Thanks AZ Mike.