PDA

View Full Version : Back to Black vs Forever Black

Mr. Clean
11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Has anyone used both products and have a preference? Usage will be a textured surface black bumper. Looking for a product that can give some long lasting "as new" restoration.

TIA

Edit: I meant to also reference the Black Again product

makdaddy626
11-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Haven't used either of those, but I have used DG 271 and was really impressed, it's been months and my old faded black trim still looks great.

Duragloss Rubber & Flat Black Dressing (RBD) #271 (http://www.autogeek.net/duruflbldrr2.html)
and it's $6.99 for what will be a lifetime supply for me.

Jimmie
11-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I've used both and consider both excellent. However they are totally different products IMO. Back to Black is a trim protectant that can bring trim back to a new look if it's not too faded or neglected. Forever Black is a dye product that can restore the worst looking trim (I used it on some that I thought "no way"and it looked new afterwards). A number of coats of Back to Black is what I would try first.

Mr. Clean
11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I've used both and consider both excellent. However they are totally different products IMO. Back to Black is a trim protectant that can bring trim back to a new look if it's not too faded or neglected. Forever Black is a dye product that can restore the worst looking trim (I used it on some that I thought "no way"and it looked new afterwards). A number of coats of Back to Black is what I would try first.

Yes, I muddied the waters of my own thread, when I inserted the Mother's product (Back to Black) in my title line. The two products which seemed the most similar were the Black Again and Forever Black, both being silicone-free based polymer products. I do understand the dye factor in Forever Black.

For additional reference, I have already tried several products on this bumper including: PB's Trim Restore, Meguiar's #40, AS's Super Shine, and probably several others that I can't recall as I type.

Bunky
11-21-2007, 01:01 PM
If you try Back to Black I would be interested in how it does compared to PB Trim Restore.

Back to Black takes a little practice to get it work properly -- apply by rubbing, let sit for a while, and then wipe off. Repeat if necessary. It seems to be long lasting for me although it can run a little when wet when used on some plastics.

Jimmie
11-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Yes, I muddied the waters of my own thread, when I inserted the Mother's product (Back to Black) in my title line. The two products which seemed the most similar were the Black Again and Forever Black, both being silicone-free based polymer products. I do understand the dye factor in Forever Black.

For additional reference, I have already tried several products on this bumper including: PB's Trim Restore, Meguiar's #40, AS's Super Shine, and probably several others that I can't recall as I type.

Then I wouldn't hesitate to get " Forever Black". I would recommend the kit with the cleaner in it to get off all the other stuff that you've tried. AG has the best price by far.

lil goat
11-21-2007, 03:55 PM
OK first off I am not crazy, I just thought I would share a little something. I have a friend who works in the plastic industry, he told me to first use peanut oil on the plastic because when they mold the plastic they spray the insides of the molds with it to use it as a release agent. Then clean the oil off and use the Back to Black or the other. I have tried it, made wax and other stuff just lift right of the plastic then after I cleaned the peanut oil off the Back to Black worked much better.

Mr. Clean
11-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Interesting observation. Not too crazy I guess as many will recommend peanut butter. Did the peanut oil wash off with just a normal dilution of car wash shampoo?

97jeepman
11-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Iv'e used Back to Black on my gray bumper's on my 97 Jeep and It worked great. You do have to rub alot but It's worth It. Who makes Forever Black??

sparkie
11-21-2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/5221-review-day-one-duragloss-271-a.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/5526-duragloss-jeep-gary.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3794-test-joe-p.html

Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye 3 coats then top with DG#201
Before and after pics....
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/Jeep005.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/Jeep021.jpg

Reddwarf
11-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I think Sparkie's pictures says it all. :applause:

lethalxls1
11-21-2007, 10:02 PM
The window "sweep" rubber trim on right and left door windows on my car is a little faded but nothing like the fenders on that jeep-any suggestions?

sparkie
11-22-2007, 10:34 AM
The window "sweep" rubber trim on right and left door windows on my car is a little faded but nothing like the fenders on that jeep-any suggestions?
Here is what I came up with for Joe.p

I done a dual test, driver side bed trim applied products let dry and buff with terry cloth. Passenger side, applied and let dry, but did not buff with terry cloth. The side I didn’t buff with terry cloth, run in the rain. The test started on 1/21/07. Using a foam pad and using as little products as possible I laid it down with over lapping strokes. The truck went threw two rains and one snow and ice, and two washers.

DuraGloss#201, this products was made for the inside of you car. But I found it will last on outside trim. Very little run in the rain. Last about 2 weeks. Rating 3 stars

303, it was neck n neck with #201 and Fk1. Now it has the highest spf. Last about 2 weeks. 3.5 stars

FK1, about the same as #201 and 303. Very little run in the rain. Last about 2 weeks.

Black Again, lasted the longest of all. Very little run in the rain. Last about 3 weeks. 4.5 stars

Back to Black, lasted a day or two longer then #201, 303 and FK1. Last about 2 weeks. Dust loves this stuff. Runs in the rain bad. 1 star

PoorBoys Trim Restorer, works great on black trim, but you can forget it on rubber IMO. Last about 2.5 weeks.4 stars

Adam's VRT, gone the first rain. 1 star

Meg#40, same as above, gone the first rain. 1 star

Stoner Trim Shine, also gone the first rain. 1 star

This was done on a 2005 F-150, with black trim. All products look about the same on trim. Back to Black had a blue tent to it. I think the key is to buff after it dries with a terry cloth. Just keep in mine that all car plastics may be different, and the products and you may have a different outcome. The winner is Black Again. Thanks for looking!

mixxer
11-22-2007, 11:24 AM
i use forever black because of this and couldnt be happier.

Josh Wardell’s MINI Cooper S » The Final Trim Test: We Have a Winner! (http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/09/10/the-final-trim-test-we-have-a-winner/)

lethalxls1
11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Here is what I came up with for Joe.p

I done a dual test, driver side bed trim applied products let dry and buff with terry cloth. Passenger side, applied and let dry, but did not buff with terry cloth. The side I didn’t buff with terry cloth, run in the rain. The test started on 1/21/07. Using a foam pad and using as little products as possible I laid it down with over lapping strokes. The truck went threw two rains and one snow and ice, and two washers.

DuraGloss#201, this products was made for the inside of you car. But I found it will last on outside trim. Very little run in the rain. Last about 2 weeks. Rating 3 stars

303, it was neck n neck with #201 and Fk1. Now it has the highest spf. Last about 2 weeks. 3.5 stars

FK1, about the same as #201 and 303. Very little run in the rain. Last about 2 weeks.

Black Again, lasted the longest of all. Very little run in the rain. Last about 3 weeks. 4.5 stars

Back to Black, lasted a day or two longer then #201, 303 and FK1. Last about 2 weeks. Dust loves this stuff. Runs in the rain bad. 1 star

PoorBoys Trim Restorer, works great on black trim, but you can forget it on rubber IMO. Last about 2.5 weeks.4 stars

Adam's VRT, gone the first rain. 1 star

Meg#40, same as above, gone the first rain. 1 star

Stoner Trim Shine, also gone the first rain. 1 star

This was done on a 2005 F-150, with black trim. All products look about the same on trim. Back to Black had a blue tent to it. I think the key is to buff after it dries with a terry cloth. Just keep in mine that all car plastics may be different, and the products and you may have a different outcome. The winner is Black Again. Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the great info!