PDA

View Full Version : Clay Towel vs Disc

1953hogan
03-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted and I'd appreciate some advice.

My car needs a good decon. I already own clay as well as Ultima Elastrofoam block which works well but I keep hearing the praises Nanoskin, PolyShave, and others so I have a question. I can't decide between a decon towel vs a disc (I have a Griots DA polisher with 5" backing plate).

Does anybody have any thoughts on using the disc vs the towel? Any specific uses for each or does it just boil down to personal preference?

I have a second question. When would I use Iron-X spray vs Iron-X paste? I'm wondering why one wouldn't just use the paste all the time.

Thanks, guys.

Eldorado2k
03-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Clay towel all the way. The disc marrs the living daylights out the paint, whereas I've never marred paint using the towel. Use plenty of claylube. D114@1:128 is my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maestro Sam
03-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Disc is just a waste of time. Use a clay towel or clay mitt like mention above.

Mantilgh
03-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Yeh, the disks are more likely to marr, but using them with a DA really gets some work done.

You almost need a buddy wetting the surface ahead of you though.

You could use InonX for the same situations. Spray on, or sponge on with the paste, for paint.

The paste, it's more a gel I believe, should allow a longer dwell time and it more for spot application. Would be good for wheels that have heavy build up.

Spray would be easier for barrels.

I've wanted to try it but it hasn't been available here in a while. I recently bought IronX Snow Soap to use like the paste. It works pretty good so far, but I believe the paste is supposed to be stronger.

lane5515
03-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Nanoskin Medium Clay Mitt is what I like the most. The towels are ok too but the mitt is so nice to use.

1953hogan
03-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks, guys, towel or mitt sounds like the way to go.

Mike@ShineStruck
03-12-2017, 04:43 PM
you just need to clean the discs more often atleast once prior to new panel
due to better textures ..id recommend sonax if you want a disc and griot if you want a mitt...way better then the original nanoskins

AKT
07-11-2017, 01:08 AM
I hope you don't mind me asking, how do you store your clay towels after using? I am yet to receive my order from AG but i realized i did not know how to store clay towels...

RSW
07-11-2017, 08:27 AM
I like the clay towel and I might be using it differently from most.

First, I get a grout sponge and cut a diamond pattern into it. I make the diamonds about a half inch wide and cut about half way through the sponge.

Then, when I use the towel, I wrap it around the cut sponge so the cut part of the towel will be providing the pressure against the surface. Cutting the sponge up like that lets the sponge conform to the surface of the paint better and keeps the pressure more even, also increases the contact area.

I wash and rinse the car, re-soap the car - no drying - with my sprayer and wet the sponge and towel with soap and get to work. I rinse the sponge and towel every couple of minutes and rather than go over the car carefully one time, I go over it a couple of times being more careful on the second pass. Then I rinse and dry the car.

I rinse my towel and sponge with clean water wring out the sponge, drape the towel over the sponge with the working surface of the towel exposed and put it in a plastic box so the towel never touches anything. I put it away, and start polishing.

RSW