PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 ??

Pages : [1] 2

gordster1122
03-11-2017, 10:55 AM
With the sale going on right now and with my tax refund I was thinking about picking up the Pink Flex 3401 with over $100 in freebies to add to my collection I currently have the HF DA , Rupes Mini , Griots G15

LEDetailing
03-11-2017, 11:19 AM
What about a Rupes Nano? The Flex 3401 sounds like a good choice as well. I don't have either, they both seem to be forum favorites.

Ceerokz
03-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Sounds good to me... the flex can do moderate correction and wax and the G15 can do the major correction.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-11-2017, 11:50 AM
HF DA with a MF cutting pad and quality compound will correct just as good or better than the 3401. Truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

BudgetPlan1
03-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Sounds good to me... the flex can do moderate correction and wax and the G15 can do the major correction.
I picked up a Flex and a Rupes 15 around the holidays and have found myself using the Flex for initial heavy correction and the Rupes for final polishing...kinda like getting the heavy lifting/arduous work outta the way before getting to the more delicate and enjoyable refinement of polishing with the Rupes.

The Rupes with a Megs microfiber cutting disc and D300 is a pretty potent heavy correcting combo though.

BudgetPlan1
03-11-2017, 01:50 PM
HF DA with a MF cutting pad and quality compound will correct just as good or better than the 3401. Truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)
But likely not as quickly...used to use cutting discs with my GG6 and D300 and have found a larger heavy cutting pad with M101 on the Flex does it in a lot less time 'cuz you can just hustle/muscle the Flex around, jamming the forced rotation pad into places that would stall a free spinning DA. I think this method takes a bit of toll on LC Force gray heavy cutting pads but the time savings is worth it to me.

Sometimes I think I could compound/polish a chain link fence with the Flex just because it just never stops. I'd likely feel like someone beat me with a board afterwards but my fence would be pretty shiney!

Ceerokz
03-11-2017, 01:56 PM
I thought about getting the 3401 to rotate with the GG6. In due time

BudgetPlan1
03-11-2017, 02:30 PM
I thought about getting the 3401 to rotate with the GG6. In due time
Once I got all the tools together, just naturally started mentally associating specific tasks to each machine:
GG6 is wax/sealant application
Rupes Mini is small areas like bumpers/vertical trunk areas/pillars
Flex for compounding
Rupes for polishing

Didn't plan it that way...just laid em all out on a table when starting a car and seemed to unknowingly reach for each one for different tasks.

I'm extremely lazy and using the GG6 for everything would slow me down just changing backing plates...cuz I'd get distracted, wander off and not return to the car for 15-20 minutes.

Self discipline is not a strong point so being able to just grab a tool and go saves me considerable time overall because I can remain a bit more attentive to the immediate task at hand. And I'd always misplace that wrench to swap backing plates resulting in another 5 to 10 minutes lost wandering around muttering obscenities at myself while trying to remember where I left the wrench.

"Know thyself..." and all that.

dennis hiip
03-11-2017, 02:32 PM
As for HF da. I have one. Its adequate and I could live with it if it was only polisher, but I find it rough running and noisy. I use it as my 3 inch polisher.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-12-2017, 04:13 PM
As for HF da. I have one. Its adequate and I could live with it if it was only polisher, but I find it rough running and noisy. I use it as my 3 inch polisher.
It does vibrate more than I'd like, but put a BnS uro fiber or LC MF cutting pad and quality compound on it and it can correct!!

Billy Baldone
03-12-2017, 05:09 PM

Wow. Have you ever actually used a Flex? Put a wool pad on it with some Chop Top.... Correction is easypeasy at that point

Ceerokz
03-12-2017, 08:59 PM
lol nope never tried it but he already have a long throw DA so why not rotate them...

suke
03-12-2017, 09:51 PM
I've had my flex for years. It's my personal favorite all around polisher. I've done everything from super hard gel coat on boats to the most finicky soft black Lexus paint. It cuts like a mofo, but can be trickier to finish down on softer paints due to the shorter throw than some of the long throw DAs out there. I've put countless hours on it with not a single hiccup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

WRAPT C5Z06
03-12-2017, 10:22 PM
I've had my flex for years. It's my personal favorite all around polisher. I've done everything from super hard gel coat on boats to the most finicky soft black Lexus paint. It cuts like a mofo, but can be trickier to finish down on softer paints due to the shorter throw than some of the long throw DAs out there. I've put countless hours on it with not a single hiccup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
It's not the shorter throw that makes it difficult to finish on soft paint, it's the forced rotation that causes issues.

coles_paint_correction
03-12-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm glad I got the flex finally, it's such a work horse and is the strongest out of the other das imo,
that being said I have the gg6 along with g21 and those are for smaller areas and polishing or if a car does not need the big flex. Ultimately just get them all eventually