PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey Detail Plan

SF0059
03-10-2017, 12:21 AM
Hello All,

My wife has a 2014 Honda Odyssey that we bought new in August of 2013. For a couple of years she worked down a gravel road and I was busy with work and the finish was badly neglected. Now she doesn't work there any more and I am determined to take better care of the vehicle. My wife is NOT careful with the car and there are a lot of defects that I need to correct like bumper scuffs, branch scratches (not through the clear) and tons of swirling and webbing.

Here is what I plan to do with my trusty HF DA. Let me know if you think it sounds like a good plan.

Clay
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with heavy cutting pad
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish with medium polish pad
McKee's Prep Polish with finishing polish pad
Mckee's Paint Coating
Wolfgang Deep Gloss with finishing pad
Collinite 845 with finishing pad

What say you?

Eldorado2k
03-10-2017, 01:07 AM
Which exact pads are you going to use? And what size?
What color is the vehicle?
If it were me, I'd go with either the Wolfgang Sealant or the Colonite, no need for both [although there's plenty of people who like to do both] and certainly no need for 3 different lsps. I'd just pick 1.
Don't forget about the interior. Meguiars Air Refresher is a great finishing touch to rid any lingering odors.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170310/48ca36918e3865798672a6d372dc1d7a.jpg

I detailed that van^ for a friend of mine not too long ago, and it too came from his work. The outside wasn't too bad, but there was a deep scratch about 3 feet long which had began to rust + the front bumper had been replaced with 1 that was a different color so he just had the van painted a fresh white. Looks like a completely different vehicle now that it's all fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattPersman
03-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Might even try the microfiber kit on it from meguiars if you don't have your pads and liquids yet.

I'd just do the Wolfgang and not bother with the collinite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lane5515
03-10-2017, 09:40 AM
My wife drives a 2014 Odyssey also. Here is my last battle with ours: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/104735-black-honda-odyssey-big-pita-corrected-coated.html

The Guz
03-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Clay
Mckee's Paint Coating

What say you?

I would stop at the paint coating and call it a day. No need to top it with anything else.

Desertnate
03-10-2017, 11:20 AM
I agree with the paint coating as well. It works so well, there isn't anything gained from topping other than possible cosmetics. You really don't need to put a sealant on top of a coating and then throw another sealant/wax on top of that.

As for the correction, I'd do some test spots with various combinations of the polish/compounds and pads. With softer Japanese paint, you may be very surprised how well a polish will work. Start with the least aggressive method and work your way down from there. Try the Polish with the polish pad first, then polish with the cutting pad. If you're still not happy I'd also try the compound with a polishing pad before going full compound/cutting pad.

I have polished out some pretty major dealer inflicted swirls and damage on my wife's Toyota with nothing more than UP and a polishing pad. The soft paint is VERY easy to correct and there is no need to go too agressive.

Ceerokz
03-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Hondas paint is so soft and thin. Wash and clay. Use a AIO and a mild polishing foam pad.i use griots garage so that would be the Boss Finishing Cream and the Orange Foam Polishing Pad.

vanev
03-11-2017, 12:01 AM
Hello All,

My wife has a 2014 Honda Odyssey that we bought new in August of 2013. For a couple of years she worked down a gravel road and I was busy with work and the finish was badly neglected. Now she doesn't work there any more and I am determined to take better care of the vehicle. My wife is NOT careful with the car and there are a lot of defects that I need to correct like bumper scuffs, branch scratches (not through the clear) and tons of swirling and webbing.

Here is what I plan to do with my trusty HF DA. Let me know if you think it sounds like a good plan.

Clay
Mckee's Paint Coating

What say you?

Attempting to make quick work of this detail will cost you in time and money in the long run.
Given the condition of the vehicle, it needs all the steps and stages to bring the condition where it needs to be.

Start at the beginning.
Give this thing a good bath.
No matter how thorough the washing process, however, washing does very little to clean a vehicle that is way overdue for a detail.

A complete decontamination is in order.
- De-bug.
- De-tar.
- De-grease.
- Iron fallout remover.
- Water spot remover.
- Clay.
- Wash again.

Wheels:
Good idea to go ahead and get the tires, wheels, and wheel wells out the way.
To what extent is your call.
I suggest a wheels off detail, but if not, take the necessary time needed to do the job right.
I would bet you have really bad brake dust that is bonded to the wheels.
You will need a good fallout remover and some acid wheel cleaner to clean them.
A good degreaser and pressure washer to rinse off the above will serve you well.
Follow with some type of LSP, at least a spray wax.
Shine the tires up, and then place covers over them.
Extra towels, as in bath size towels, would work, but detail wheel covers would be better.

Now this vehicle is ready for paint correction.
As Desertnate and others stated, perform some test spots to dial in your product, pad, and speed of your machines.
I think you will find that you will need a rotary to do the bulk of the work.
The HF DA is good at finishing, not heavy correction.
Also consider a polishing cone for under the door handles and other tight fits and odd places that need correction.

LSP:
To what extent you protect your vehicle is your call.
I personally like the stacked protection and finish that a coating, sealant, and wax bring.
This approach, however, will add significant time to the process, but is a great way to finish your work.

Good luck and keep us posted.

TTQ B4U
03-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Hello All, My wife has a 2014 Honda Odyssey that we bought new in August of 2013. For a couple of years she worked down a gravel road and I was busy with work and the finish was badly neglected. Now she doesn't work there any more and I am determined to take better care of the vehicle. My wife is NOT careful with the car and there are a lot of defects that I need to correct like bumper scuffs, branch scratches (not through the clear) and tons of swirling and webbing.

You described my wife and our van too. Dr. Color Chip, some wet sanding and buffing are in your future to practice fixing your bumpers. It's not hard.

Clay
Mckee's Paint Coating

I've inserted what I would do to help augment your steps above.

Traditional Wash - I love Meg's Gold Class. Works great for nanosponge work too.
Iron Decontamination with your choice of products that work. I'm a CarPro Iron X guy
Nanosponge or like vs clay. The new Medium Nano Sponges work great, mar far less if at all and are fast. I suggest giving them a try. You won't go back to clay.
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with heavy cutting pad - Orange Pads on Honda's work great.
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish with medium polish pad - Green or white works great.
McKee's Prep Polish with finishing polish pad - I suppose you can do as they direct. Personally CarPro Eraser and a MF Rag does wonders after the Meg Twins. It's how I prep all mine.
Mckee's Paint Coating - Works great. I do two coats to insure coverage and longevity.

As others noted, no need to top the coating. It's actually counter productive to the hydrophobic and dust resistance properties of the coating. IMO the best thing to top it with going forward is to use a mix of CarPro ECH20 and Reload used as a detail spray. Mix up ECH20 1:20, add 2-3oz of Reload and Viola, perfection. Here's a vid of our van after nearly 6 months and all I use after washing it is the detail spray I just described.
https://youtu.be/PkYouNqzm9A

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing pics!