PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless Washing?

Pages : [1] 2

lgtspecb
11-20-2007, 11:50 PM
I know this is a frequent topic, and I have done ALOT of reading over the last two days. Since the winter is coming up on us quick, I am sure alot of people are either switching to ONR washes or interested in doing so. I was hoping that I could get a few questions answered that may also be informative to anyone else considering doing this for the first time in one simple thread.

1) QEW, DP, ONR, Other? It seems the general consensus is on ONR between people that have used all 3, but any other products or mixtures of soap + qd people are using?

2) Add QD to ONR? Frequently added to QEW, but is there anything to gain from adding it to ONR or DP to soften the water and add lubrication?

3) What dilution? Probably RTFM and adjust to taste, but I see people using .5-2oz/gallon of water.

4) Grit Guards? Since the dirt is not washing off on the driveway, it is going directly into the bucket, would seem a grit guard in both the wash and rise would be a good idea, but in every thread I have read I have not heard grit guards mentioned once that I can recall.

5) What type of applicator? Everyone has a preference, so I imagine responses can be quite broad but I will ask anyways. Grout Sponge, Sheepskin, MF chenille, MF towel, Schmitt, Sea Sponge, other? One or Two applicators?

6) Pre-spray with higher dillution? What ratio? Do you spray one section or the entire car?

7) What to use for a top coat, in any? QD, AW, Opti-Seal? Can AW or FC&S be added to the wash mixture to save time?

8) Any other general tips & tricks for rinseless noobs?

I want to try it out, but pretty skeptical and want to make sure I order the right products and use the right process.

Thanks.

klumzypinoy
11-21-2007, 02:35 AM
So far I've used DP Four in One. 1 oz per gallon of water for rinseless wash. The bottle has dilution ratios for quick detailer and clay lube.
I use 2 grit guards in the rinse bucket. You can in the middle of the wash empty the rinse bucket and refill it. You can use 1 grit guard but when I bought them, I decided to buy 2.
FOr the wash tool, I have a sheepskin mitt and Surf City microfiber mitt. Both work fine. I tend to use the microfiber mitt most.
I don't pre treat any of the surfaces, I just go straight to washing.
I always start washing from the top. I pass the mitt over the surface I want to wash (of course), then I flip the mitt over and pass the mitt over that same surface again. I rinse the mitt and rub it against the grit guard, then put it in the wash solution. Then I dry the surface, but I don't let the drying towel touch any of the dirty surfaces of course. Hope this helps!

supercharged
11-21-2007, 05:40 AM
I've noticed that Optimum is twice as concentrated as DP 4-in-1. With Optimum you use 1 oz of product per 2 gallons of water, with DP you have to use 1 to 1. But I like both. During winter wash is car is dirty your best bet will be to rinse it prior to rinseless wash. Yes, you might be detailing with some cold water then, but it better then swirling up your paint. Again, if it's that dirty. Otherwise I like presoaking method (spray QD on whole car prior for it to be washed with rinseless wash, and you can cake QD from NO RINSE (1 1/2 oz per 32 oz of water), or 4-in-1 (2 oz per 32 oz of water)). This will help you loosing dirt/grime. I don't use any QD after this wash, as polymers in it already do everything a QD would.

Good luck.

coolmoon
11-21-2007, 06:52 AM
A member recommended a pesticide sprayer with the solution, and works really well in removing any dirt or dust which rolls off prior to washing especially working inside the garage . two bucket method is the way to go.

sbkim
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Quick question - when you use 2 bucket approach - one for wash and other for rinse using ONR - do you need to put any ONR in the rinse bucket?? I doubt it. Also should I consider using grit guard both in the wash and rinse?

Thank you!

Bert31
01-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Quick question - when you use 2 bucket approach - one for wash and other for rinse using ONR - do you need to put any ONR in the rinse bucket?? I doubt it.

I put ONR in my rinse bucket only because the ONR seems help in releasing dirt from the wash media than plain water.

Also should I consider using grit guard both in the wash and rinse?

Thank you!

I do, not sure how important it is to have in the wash water though.

budman3
01-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Quick question - when you use 2 bucket approach - one for wash and other for rinse using ONR - do you need to put any ONR in the rinse bucket?? I doubt it. Also should I consider using grit guard both in the wash and rinse?

Thank you!

I will agree that you might want to consider putting your rinseless wash in the 2nd bucket as well. The normal routine for 2 bucket washing is to take a clean mitt from the wash bucket, wash the panel, put the mitt into the rinse bucket and then back into the wash bucket. If you have straight water in the rinse bucket, if you do not ring out the mitt, you will be diluting the wash bucket mixture with more water. If you dilute it too much, the solution may not work properly and could cause marring.

Bert31
01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
I know this is a frequent topic, and I have done ALOT of reading over the last two days. Since the winter is coming up on us quick, I am sure alot of people are either switching to ONR washes or interested in doing so. I was hoping that I could get a few questions answered that may also be informative to anyone else considering doing this for the first time in one simple thread.

1) QEW, DP, ONR, Other? It seems the general consensus is on ONR between people that have used all 3, but any other products or mixtures of soap + qd people are using?

The 3 you mentioned are by far the most commonly used. Chemical Guys makes one but have heard nothing of it being used.

2) Add QD to ONR? Frequently added to QEW, but is there anything to gain from adding it to ONR or DP to soften the water and add lubrication?

Not sure how adding QD to either ONR or DP 4 in 1 would help. Both have great lubricity as it is.

3) What dilution? Probably RTFM and adjust to taste, but I see people using .5-2oz/gallon of water.

On the containers of ONR is says .5 oz per gallon for wash and DP 4 in 1 is 1 oz per gallon so it appears ONR is a little more concentrated. However, some people say they get better results using 1 oz per gallon with ONR - who knows. Give it a try yourself and see.

4) Grit Guards? Since the dirt is not washing off on the driveway, it is going directly into the bucket, would seem a grit guard in both the wash and rise would be a good idea, but in every thread I have read I have not heard grit guards mentioned once that I can recall.

Some people swear that ONR and DP 4 in 1 great lubricity and their ability to encapsulate dirt makes grit guards unnecessary. Call me a coward if you want, I still use grit guards with ONR and DP 4 in 1.

5) What type of applicator? Everyone has a preference, so I imagine responses can be quite broad but I will ask anyways. Grout Sponge, Sheepskin, MF chenille, MF towel, Schmitt, Sea Sponge, other? One or Two applicators?

I have used a grout sponge, sheep skin and MF mitt. All three did a fine job.

6) Pre-spray with higher dillution? What ratio? Do you spray one section or the entire car?

I have never tried it but in the spring after I polish out all my swirl marks, I will probably start pre spraying just for some insurance.

7) What to use for a top coat, in any? QD, AW, Opti-Seal? Can AW or FC&S be added to the wash mixture to save time? All that you mentioned will work fine as a top coat. Don't think adding them to the mixture would be a good idea, you would probably just wash them right off.

8) Any other general tips & tricks for rinseless noobs?

Some people note that streaking can be an issue with rinsless washes. I have found when I use the two towel method, I never have streaking. The two towel method involves using one towel at first to get most of the solution and then follow up with the second towel to get the rest.

I want to try it out, but pretty skeptical and want to make sure I order the right products and use the right process.

Thanks.

I used to be skeptical also until I tried ONR. Now, even when warmer weather comes, I will probably do far more rinseless washes than hose washes. As far as what products to get, go with either ONR or DP 4 in 1, I have used both and like both. I have been told by many that they are better than QEW. Also, get yourself some good MF drying towels. Waffle Weaves tend to be a favorite.

sbkim
01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Good point. Do you think it's necessary to have the same concentration as wash bucket or could I use less ONR for the rinse bucket (just so that it can release dirt better).

MadOzodi
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I recently used ONR to wash my car. Used the 2 bucket method, MF Chenille mitt, and 2 grit guards in the rinse bucket. I did not put any ONR in the rinse bucket. However, the next time I use ONR I plan on adding 1oz. to 4 gallons of water in my rinse bucket with 2 grit guards again.

After my wash, I noticed a film on the water's surface in both buckets that I didn't like seeing, so I don't think it would hurt to add some ONR to the rinse bucket. I just wouldn't use the same concentration you have in the wash bucket.

Driven Auto Detail
01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
When I first started using ONR, I was using 2 buckets and 2 grit guards. After a couple of washes, I moved to just 1 bucket and 1 grit guard. Now, I use one bucket and no grit guard. Reason being is that I usually only need 2 gallons of solution to wash my vehicles. If you use a grit guard, you can't get to a lot of that solution. Since using 1 bucket and no grit guard, I've noticed no swirls or marring in my wash process.

budman3
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I cut my grit guard down to about an inch and a half (compared to 4 -5"). I too didn't like the fact that the grit guard was taking up precious wash solution so I cut it :). Some may say the the grit guard is that high for a reason but I haven't noticed any side effects.

Driven Auto Detail
01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
That's a great idea. I might have to give it a whirl.

Bert31
01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
When I first started using ONR, I was using 2 buckets and 2 grit guards. After a couple of washes, I moved to just 1 bucket and 1 grit guard. Now, I use one bucket and no grit guard. Reason being is that I usually only need 2 gallons of solution to wash my vehicles. If you use a grit guard, you can't get to a lot of that solution. Since using 1 bucket and no grit guard, I've noticed no swirls or marring in my wash process.

I am OK using one bucket UNTIL I get to my rocker panels and other areas at the bottom of my car. Once I get to that point, the water go from being pretty clean to getting nastier and nastier as I go along the rocker panels where I am a little uneasy about continuing on to the other lower areas due to how dirty the water is. The reason the rocker panels and lower areas of my car get so dirty is due to how low my Eclipse sits to the ground. Easy for stuff to get thrown onto the paint.

I realize I could just throw the water out and refill it again but if I do that, I might as well just use two buckets in the first place. By using two buckets, by the time I get to the end when I wash my wheels, my wash water is still pretty clean so I am probably doing a better job cleaning the wheels.

lgtspecb
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I have done the onr 5 or 6 times now (did one traditional wash in the middle), and I have improved my technique each time. The first time I did it, I used 1 bucket with 2 grit guards and a grout sponge, then i moved to two buckets with 1 grit guard each and the grout sponge. then i tried a mf wash mitt with both buckets. I was doing the smaller areas with a mf towel and noticed how much easier it was and how easily the dirt came off the towel in the rinse. I didn't want to use my nice mf's for washing, but I gave it a go anyhow and they got the car clean, so much quicker and with a lot less fear.

The next time i did it with mf towels again, and i mixed together a bottle of qd from the onr. I pre-treated the area by giving a couple quirts and letting it soak in for a bit. Then when I washed the panel the surface was slick and cleans up in 1 pass. The mf towels don't drip ANY solution on the floor, and leave the surface dryer after cleaning so drying is quicker and easier too.

I've read alot of tips and tricks on using ONR, but my recommendation when using this product is to follow the label. Using two buckets and a high quality mf makes the job very efficient with good results.

When spring rolls around, I will retire ONR however. It does have many plusses, but I still don't think it is as safe or produces as clean of a car as a traditional wash. I simply would never clay a car after a onr wash. My drying towels still show a little dirt and when I add opti-seal afterwards, i can still feel areas of the paint that are not completely clean. Looking forward to using my new deluxe filter system (http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html) and optimum polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-kit.html) to get the car clean after a winter of onr.

EDIT: on my last wash, I added some dg 901 to the rinse bucket for added lubrication in cleaning the towel, but i don't think it really helped. I might try .5 ounce onr to 2 gallons of water in the rinse this weekend.