PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Leather 3 n 1 Splotchiness

Pages : [1] 2

ryansmk7
03-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Hey everyone,

Tried using GG Leather 3 n 1 on the seats in my 2015 GTI and after several days this splotchiness began to show up. It seems like I can remove it with a wet microfiber but not sure what I could be doing wrong in the first place. Any input is appreciated!

Rsurfer
03-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone,

Tried using GG Leather 3 n 1 on the seats in my 2015 GTI and after several days this splotchiness began to show up. It seems like I can remove it with a wet microfiber but not sure what I could be doing wrong in the first place. Any input is appreciated!

Are you spraying it directly on the seats?

ryansmk7
03-09-2017, 02:07 PM
I'm not using the spray, I'm using the cream that comes in the bottle and rubbing it in and buffing off with a microfiber.

Firehouse Mike
03-09-2017, 02:27 PM
To me, it looks like areas where the leather is absorbing it in better than others. My F150 leahter will do this....give it an hour or so and reapply, evens out and looks great everytime. I'll do the leather in customers cars early on to watch for this and see if it needs to sit for a bit.

Mike

ryansmk7
03-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks Mike. I'll give that a shot, I've never treated the seats and going on two years with the car so that makes a lot of sense.

bossbrew
03-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Hi ryansmk7,
I have a 2015 GTI as well (and love it!), and have used Meguiars Gold Class Leather Conditioner spray with good results. A little slippery for a couple of days, but looks great.
Dave

ryansmk7
03-10-2017, 09:38 AM
I might give that a try Bossbrew.

I tried reapplying the Griots and realllly let it soak in, looked great yesterday but this morning it looked like it was going splotchy again. I'll probably give Griots one last shot and if that doesn't work then I will have to try another product.

bossbrew
03-10-2017, 10:34 AM
It's funny that the Griot's didn't work. I've had good luck with their other products.

ryansmk7
03-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Same here, I've loved all of their products so far.

Eldorado2k
03-10-2017, 10:42 AM
You say it's been about 2 yrs. since you've really payed any real attention to it? If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if what it needs is an actual thorough cleaning with a dedicated cleaner such as diluted APC 1st in order to have a clean and proper foundation for this 3-1 light duty maintenance product to see ideal results.

Kinda like if your paint hadn't been washed for 2 years... How good would an AIO work to make it look great? Probably not so great. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryansmk7
03-10-2017, 10:43 AM
I'll give that a shot too Eldorado. I haven't found anything negative online regarding this product so I'm really thinking it is something I'm doing.

Brownie
03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=ryansmk7;1470905]Hey everyone,

Hi Ryan,

Your experience with Leather 3 in 1 is unusual for sure. That product contains very mild cleaners, conditioners and protectant to prevent staining. Not sure if you've ever deep cleaned your seats with a dedicated leather cleaner. Our Interior Cleaner, sprayed on a horsehair brush, with gentle agitation would be best. This is always recommended to remove embedded contaminants in the grains. Once this is completed, apply an even application of Leather 3 in 1 via a foam applicator. Allow to penetrate in for a minute or two, then always wipe off excess with a clean non-linting cotton towel. (Microfiber will work too, but will diminish the richness)

We also make Leather Care... my personal favorite. PS, I own a MK1 and MK2 GTI and a huge VW enthusiast. Suggest to deep clean first, then reapply. If you have any other questions, please reach out to Griot's Garage customer service 800-345-5789 and they'll make sure you're good.

Have a great weekend!
Jeff

ryansmk7
03-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Thank you for the response Jeff! I'll give that a shot.

Desertnate
03-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Just thinking out of the box here, but could that residue be from over application of the product? I'm wondering if those spots are from product that simply didn't absorb and is starting to dry.

MK6 GTI owner here as well. The leather VW uses is pretty easy to maintain and durable if you keep up with it.

ryansmk7
03-10-2017, 11:28 AM
The first application I was rather conservative with the product, being sure to not over apply it.