PDA

View Full Version : Using IronX properly- avoid brakes/calipers??

FlyinLow
03-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Good afternoon. Quick question for the forum:
I picked up some IronX at the last sale, and right now I'm claying an '04 Explorer that has really only been washed at the car wash for years. Thought I would go over it with the IronX as the next step, before compounding. While all of the pictures show it sprayed all over the wheels, I could swear I read somewhere to avoid the brake calipers. Seemed to make sense, particularly if one has semi-metallic brakes that you wouldn't want to do any damage to. Yet, I would want to remove contaminants from the exterior portion of the calipers. Should I cover them with plastic before spraying? Any other precautions to take? Other than hold my nose, and not let it dry in the sun? Thanks in advance for your advice.

ronkh57
03-08-2017, 03:15 PM
As far as I know, only brake problems for IronX is carbon ceramic brakes. Other than that, no problem.

FUNX650
03-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Carbon-Ceramic rotors will also
absorb any material that comes
in contact with them.

Because of that...
Many OEM's recommend that only
car-wash soap and water should be
used to clean wheels and tires on
vehicles so equipped. To do otherwise
may cause warranties to be voided.

Bob

FlyinLow
03-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Good information. Thank you. Not an issue on this vehicle, but I will certainly run into it in the future, and take proper precautions. Running short on time, so sticking with the clay today. Very satisfying tactile response.

Ceerokz
03-08-2017, 04:30 PM
It's good to ask the manufacturer if it's detergent free

shadwell
03-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Just a couple of points on Iron-x;

Some callipers can discolour following application. Any coated or finished callipers are usually OK, some bare metal ones can discolour (blacken).
I have observed this on lower end Mercedes brake callipers (TRW calliper and galfer pads from factory).. the discoloration can easily be removed with a brass wire wheel on a drill attachment for example, but better avoided if possible of course.

On some vehicles with performance iron rotors and larger callipers, if iron-x is only applied to the visible face of the rotor (perhaps 2/3 rds its surface) it removes the ferrous layer on the disc but not on the hidden section. this can lead to a slight pulsing sensation at the brakes. Easily remedied by applying to the whole disc.. But worth being aware of. In this case it was on a Mercedes again C class with AMG brakes (which are brembo callipers and discs front ATE callipers and pads rear).

Just a heads up...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-08-2017, 05:53 PM
It will rust any uncoated part of your rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Crispy
03-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Did not know Iron X would rust?