PDA

View Full Version : I would like some help about wetsanding!

iMt
11-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I would need some help with wetsanding, we have a competition here where i live in sweden and i know that some of the ppl will use the ultimate step with wetsanding to get the best results.

I have 1k 1.5k 2k 2.5 3k grit sandpaper
and i got some clay's from 3M all the different kinds.
I have all 3M polish (darkblue/lightblue/yellow/"fatwhite"/purple/green/white)
I also have some polish from MG like diamond cut and speedglaze.
all pads from MG wool and foampads.
what i dont know is how to get the best results when using it, so if someone can help me out with something like a tutorial or something so i can practice some before.

The paint is very dark blue!

I would also need some help if someone knows something about how to get my window nice again.. i bought the car 5 years ago and used it like 20 times or so.. its load of scratches on it, i have tried wool and foam pads and 3M polish but it dosnt even touch the scratches :f.

I have cannaruba wax to the last finish the day the competition is! ( i have butterknife to put it on the pads (: )

The paint is abit like the scale of an orange so would like to remove that also with wetsanding.

Thanks in advance.

/iMt^ aka Mattias

milabfocker
11-20-2007, 02:23 PM
I would start out using a high grit sandpaper and moving down to more agressive grits as necessary. Mix some auto wash and water, soak the sandpaper, and gently sand the surface. Make sure to keep dipping the sandpaper in the wash/water mixture or continually spray the solution on the surface while you are sanding. Ensure you check your work very frequently. To remove the "orange peel", I suspect the 1K sandpaper is going to be needed. Afterwards, you will need to compound the vehicle using a polish formulated with abrasives agressive enough to remove the scratches resulting from the sanding. I'm not familiar with the polishes you've mentioned, however, a compound designed to remove 1200 grit scratches should work just fine. ABOVE ALL, TAKE YOUR TIME AND BE CAREFUL.

milabfocker
11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Also, only sand in straight lines.

iMt
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Ty very much!

Can i cross when im sanding like up/down and left/right or should i only go left/right or up/down ?

You dont know anything about the window? :)

pirex
11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Just go one way with the sandpaper. --> then ....> again. Left/right also workes.

iMt
11-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Ty !

Should be fun to learn this :)

danponjican
11-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I always use an x pattern. I also found that 2,000 grit is fine when followed with a decent compound and a wool pad.

Mannyl312
11-23-2007, 09:10 AM
For the windows I would recommend using a compound to see if it works but I´m not sure of what do you want to get rid of is it water marks or scratches.
And I would try the drill attachment small pad to work on the glass.